Right balance/choice for beginner?

Loves2read

Nov 29, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found lot of good info on your site--
But lot of discussions about specific MDs/brands is based on personal history--and most of you agree that much of the success of any specific machine depends on the person actually using that MD...so the brain is as much or more important than the MD being used...

My husband is 70, 6'--height/weight appropriate, active but not really athletic, has gotten frustrated with his golf game and said he would like metal detector for Xmas...

We have homes south of Sarasota FL and in DFW TX area so he would likely use it on the wet beaches in our immediate area--Nokomis, Venice, Englewood--as well as dry land...
He likes history and watches lot of the shows about searching for artifacts--like Oak Island and others...

I have gone on various other sites and read reviews of various machines--which is more confusing than helpful in some ways...since lot of the +/- could come from a user who is not that knowledgeable...one of the reps on an online site recommended two White's machines--but I read on here they are not really good for saltwater beaches...and the Tesoro Sand Shark-and he is not going to use this machine IN the water--and with Tesoro closing down he would likely prefer a live company...

What is the best way for him to find a machine that will be good balance to use for wet sand as well as dry land?
Should he go to store and try some models for the physical feel and can you tell that much from holding one in the store for few minutes vs trying to use one for hours when you are on a search?
Is it "smart" to spend what it would take to get something like a 600 Equinox or go with a lower priced MD that you can waterproof by adding covers or maybe some silicone caulk to help with salt air...
He is not much for buying used--
And for a newbie is it more helpful to have a good LED screen with options for what you might be hitting or learn the various tones of what your machine discovers which seems more complicated and attenuated to the user's concentration and experience...
I just think this could be something he could enjoy doing long term if he is not too frustrated in the beginning...

And since some of you are in this area of FL Gulf--can you recommend a dealer/store to check MDs in person...

I read on one sight that Bounty Hunters are not as well regarded as brands like White or Fisher and that Tesoro has gone out of business--so that great warranty is meaningless...

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another vote for the Equinox. I'd get the 800 if it's in your budget.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Equinox 600 will be more than sufficient for the kind of hunting he's going to be doing...and he'll have more than sufficient success! Download the manual from Minelab's website for him beforehand...and ring up some of the great YouTube vids that out there.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox 600. It’s light weight, user friendly and effective. Can not beat it for the price

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys in Fl now? Give me a PM and ill do a set down with him on Englewood beach....... i live here. He cant go wrong with a 600..... great price, warranty and performance since he needs a MULTI freq machine to hunt wet sand....... and the Target ID is fairly simple for dirt hunting. PLUS...... it breaks down nicely for travel. We can talk scoops as well as dirt equipment he may need.

Let me add....... this year i think more got frustrated with metal detecting and was talking about taking up golf lol. He does know you cant use golf carts on the beach lol?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a used sand shark for 350
It is waterproof, even on the dry sand it may rain or shower.
It does not discriminate but sand digging is sooo easy it doesn’t matter.
I wouldn’t spend a lot of money just for the beach, if he wants to dig dirt he’ll want a different machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread