Scuba metal detecting.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Just wondering how many dive alone for jewelry? I’m wanting to get certified first of course but I see a lot of videos of guys diving alone. I only want to go 10-15ft deep just past where you can’t get out passed your head with detectors. None of my buddies want to try scuba so I’m just curious to know anybody on here shallow dive solo for treasure?

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hooka and snuba alone - 6 to 10 ft range - I carry a large spare air tank with me for safety
Im am not certified - don't have to be for snuba or hooka

Doc Arey

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2011
Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is exactly what im gearing up for next year. I cant find anyone to go regular metal detecting so im sure i will be diving alone next year.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always alone here. Often have my kayak "in tow" with flag, or my big yellow float/flag, depending where i go. Never really get much deeper than like 15ft.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wondering how many dive alone for jewelry? I’m wanting to get certified first of course but I see a lot of videos of guys diving alone. I only want to go 10-15ft deep just past where you can’t get out passed your head with detectors. None of my buddies want to try scuba so I’m just curious to know anybody on here shallow dive solo for treasure?

I've been diving for a long long time.. solo diving is always a bit more risky, but always did a lot of solo cave diving.. the ocean has it's own risks (current, boats, people fishing).

I did try some solo scuba metal detecting and I learned one thing... it really sucks!

Carrying tanks and gear plus detector out to the water is a lot of work. You will cover LESS ground, you can only hunt the deeper water which is NOT where the crowds are losing stuff, and your sweep is very narrow since your detector is short. It will also false regularly when you get too close to gauges and tank.

I quickly abandoned scuba detecting, it was the least effective of all the methods I've tried.

In some locations (hard reef bottom or old historic beach) it may be better, but here on the west coast of FL is was no fun and after two 2 hour hunts I found exactly zero. Not even trash.

Mask and snorkel is all you need.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing about hunting alone that I like, your the boss. You go when you want, and you leave when you want. On the diving, I wish I could, what a great new area it opens. Good Luck and make sure you tell someone where your going, something I do, when I plan on hunting alone.

Wilderness medic

Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. But if anything goes wrong you’ll probably die an avoidable death.

And don’t let other scuba divers hear your dive alone. 95% of them will ream you. It’s your choice, but the diving community will look at you as a reckless outcast.

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I hooka and snuba alone - 6 to 10 ft range - I carry a large spare air tank with me for safety
Im am not certified - don't have to be for snuba or hooka

Would you say you find more out in the 6-10 ft area while diving?.. or where you hunt from shore to chest deep area?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you say you find more out in the 6-10 ft area while diving?.. or where you hunt from shore to chest deep area?
Its like any where else - you got good days and bad
Jim in Ma. does really well - he does fresh water spots where rafts way out used to be
as far as diving alone - and have talked with others that do - I do everything possible to dive safe
knife if I get tangled or run into something - spare air to give me time
I know of plenty of divers that died with a buddy - ive not met anyone yet personally that was saved with one
unless you are right next to each other the chances aren't great that you'd get air in time - in fact I know
of some that took their buddy with them because the first guy put second in jeopardy sooo:dontknow:
and ive told friends and relatives (and others that hunt alone have agreed)
if I go doing what I love - can think of 100s of other ways I would not

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Jim in Ma. does really well - he does fresh water spots where rafts way out used to be
as far as diving alone - and have talked with others that do - I do everything possible to dive safe
I know of plenty of divers that died with a buddy - ive not met anyone yet personally that was saved with one
unless you are right next to each other the chances aren't great that you'd get air in time - in fact I know
of some that took their buddy with them because the first guy put second in jeopardy sooo:dontknow:

So true! Thanks for the reply.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I've had friends saved during an out of air situation from deep back in a cave... and heard stories from others who literally got into a knife fight way back in a cave over the last tank of air when they realized they only had enough for one of them to make it out .. your buddy WILL turn against you if it's him or you.

Most of the things that will kill you solo diving (stroke, heart attack, breathing the wrong mix, etc) will kill you even if you are with your buddy. But, there are plenty of other situations where a buddy can save your life.

I've been water hunting (wading) and bumped into solo scuba hunters slow crawling along the bottom. It's not uncommon. I would not recommend solo diving unless trained to do so.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread