Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By OBN
  • 1 Post By cudamark
  • 1 Post By Professor of Engineering
  • 1 Post By rc2125
  • 2 Post By LawrencetheMDer
  • 2 Post By mike b
  • 1 Post By flgliderpilot
  • 1 Post By LawrencetheMDer

Thread: CTX 3030 Waterproof Headphones, NOT Gray Ghosts

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" Butterfly coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil Whites (1970s)
    1129 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

CTX 3030 Waterproof Headphones, NOT Gray Ghosts

I bought the Gray Ghost waterproof headphones in 2017, used them for about 2 weeks. In 2018 used them for 4 months and they started to go bad. Loss sounds/signals, cracking noise, low volume or none and intermittent. I traced the problem to a possible broken wire inside the headphone cable where it goes into the headphone jack on the CTX 3030.

In searching my written literature for trouble shooting, I discovered the Gray Ghost Warranty card that I was suppose to mail-in within 14 days of buying the Gray Ghost headphones, so I guess I'm out of luck regarding the lifetime warranty.

Was looking to buy another waterproof headphone manufacturer and came across two that look identical - one is sold on Amazon (Minelab CTX 3030 Waterproof Headphones Garden Accessory, made by Minelab) listed at about $93.00 and good down to 3 meters/10 feet (also found at Serious Detecting for $149.00, good to 10 ft.). These Minelab headphones have very poor reviews on Amazon. There appears to be almost identical Minelab headphones sold by others (e.g., Kellyco) for the Minelab CTX 3030 for $149.00 that are good to 200 ft. Without further info, I'll probably go with the the Kellyco headphones for $149.00 and good to 200 ft, but can't get over the poor quality Ghosts and hate to spend about $50.00 more for Kellyco- Minelab, if I don't need to. Any feedback appreciated.

Added Note: Just noticed that the Minelab headphones for the CTX 3030 at Serious Detecting ($149.00) are Koss, but still noted on website that they're good only to 10 ft, yet the same (?) headphones at Kellyco (not specifically "Koss") are good to 200 ft as noted on their website. Now I'm completely confused!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gray Ghosts.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	1667012
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190103_110428.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	1667011  
    Last edited by LawrencetheMDer; Jan 03, 2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: More info
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    4956 times
    4 Gold rings, 2 Silver 2019
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I would just fix them, very easy. I can post a parts list if needed.

Name:	OBN-0021.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	1667017

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

us
    Sep 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Minelab CTX 3030, Whites DFX
    6459 times
    Metal Detecting
    I've also had some significant issues with my waterproof Gray Ghosts. I can't believe they are the best thing on the market. First time I used them in the water I had the same issues. I sent them in. Even on warranty I had to pay shipping so it was like $15 and they were a real pain about it. Now, I can see the cords fraying again so I don't dare take them in the water. Let me know if you find a good alternative.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6013 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I'd check with the manufacturer first. They might repair for free, or, very reasonably.
    LawrencetheMDer likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    18262 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Call the manufacture and tell them you forgot to sent in the registration card...give them the serial number; perhaps they will honor the warranty!
    rook3434 likes this.

us
    UABFWSS

Feb 2010
    Indiana/Michigan border
    ~Minelab Equinox 800's ~ Nokta Anfibio Multi~ Predator Tools shovels, Stealth 720 custom scoop, Xtreme scoop, Stavr scoop
    240 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If you’re not using underwater? and knowing how weak the volume is with piezo’s and a CTX are, I’d say look to consider the Kellyco LS Pelso’s. Would guess they’d be much better sounding with more volume.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" Butterfly coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil Whites (1970s)
    1129 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    I'd check with the manufacturer first. They might repair for free, or, very reasonably.
    Found out that a warranty card (for anything) isn't vital or important or can even be required, but only that you have proof of purchase (and date).
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

us
    D. Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Blue Xcals and CTX
    917 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Some issues came up with warranty on items sold by detectorpro prior to the company being sold. Patriots are another good pair. Most used for deep diving may go that deep but what good is it if you can’t hear them? For the CTX.... speakers are a better choice.
    Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    1129 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by rc2125 View Post
    If you’re not using underwater? and knowing how weak the volume is with piezo’s and a CTX are, I’d say look to consider the Kellyco LS Pelso’s. Would guess they’d be much better sounding with more volume.
    OK, Decided to go with the Kellyco LS Pelso's. They cost $129. Also working to send in the Gray Ghosts for repair. Always need back-up waterproof headphones. FYI As a temp fix, attached the Minelab headphones, that are not waterproof, to my CTX 3030. After a dry beach hunt, decided to wash
    my detector AND headphones off with the hose, as I always do...with my waterproof headphones, anyways. Wish me luck.
    gcmsdan and rc2125 like this.

us
    Sep 2011
    ft laud, fl
    CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
    45 times
    I've had bad luck with Gray Ghosts also. Too bad that Harold doesn't make headphones anymore. Ed

us
    Sep 2012
    STATEN ISLAND NY
    ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
    363 times
    [QUOTE=LawrencetheMDer;6045047]I bought the Gray Ghost waterproof headphones in 2017, used them for about 2 weeks. In 2018 used them for 4 months and they started to go bad. Loss sounds/signals, cracking noise, low volume or none and intermittent. I traced the problem to a possible broken wire inside the headphone cable where it goes into the headphone jack on the CTX 3030.

In searching my written literature for trouble shooting, I discovered the Gray Ghost Warranty card that I was suppose to mail-in within 14 days of buying the Gray Ghost headphones, so I guess I'm out of luck regarding the lifetime warranty.

Was looking to buy another waterproof headphone manufacturer and came across two that look identical - one is sold on Amazon (Minelab CTX 3030 Waterproof Headphones Garden Accessory, made by Minelab) listed at about $93.00 and good down to 3 meters/10 feet (also found at Serious Detecting for $149.00, good to 10 ft.). These Minelab headphones have very poor reviews on Amazon. There appears to be almost identical Minelab headphones sold by others (e.g., Kellyco) for the Minelab CTX 3030 for $149.00 that are good to 200 ft. Without further info, I'll probably go with the the Kellyco headphones for $149.00 and good to 200 ft, but can't get over the poor quality Ghosts and hate to spend about $50.00 more for Kellyco- Minelab, if I don't need to. Any feedback appreciated.

Added Note: Just noticed that the Minelab headphones for the CTX 3030 at Serious Detecting ($149.00) are Koss, but still noted on website that they're good only to 10 ft, yet the same (?) headphones at Kellyco (not specifically "Koss") are good to 200 ft as noted on their website. Now I'm completely confused!!!

Name:	Gray Ghosts.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	1667012[/QUOTE
    Those things have a limited lifetime warranty. You just got them so you must have some type of proof of purchase or at least be able to tell them where you bought them. I own a few pair of GG headphones for different machines and have broken about three of them and never had a problem with getting them fixed and have never gotten a bill. And it was my fault, I broke them. You have to contact them, its well worth the postage. Their customer service phone number is 908-333-2942, call them.
    LawrencetheMDer and gcmsdan like this.

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1292 times
    Metal Detecting
    You can make a set of Pelso's for less than $25 if you have any basic soldering skills. There are videos on youtube.
    LawrencetheMDer likes this.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    1129 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Follow-up
    Bought the L S Pelso waterproof headphones for my CTX 3030 from Kellyco and the sound is fantastic for an older guy with moderate to severe hearing loss. I am comparing the Pelso headphones with the Gray Ghost water poof headphones that I wore for a little over one season (about 5 months) and with the Minelab non waterproof headphones that came with the CTX that I have used a few times.

The L S Pelso headphones have great volume, sound and tone. The tone is crisp and sharp. They provide good volume (have volume set on “10” and Threshold on “14” on CTX). They are snug on the head but appear somewhat short if your head has low ears; the top band of the headphones could press against the top of your head. You can wear the headphones with the top band moved to the back of the head/neck if your ears are too low. The headphones plug into the 8-pin connector on the CTX and the headphone waterproof female jack appeared loose upon arrival but was easily twist-tightened. The headphone cord length is good with ample extra cord extension available.

I haven’t worn the new L S Pelso headphones in the water, yet, but they are rated to 200 ft. I’ll have them in the water in the next week of so and report back if any problems. Overall, I am very pleased with the L S Pelso waterproof headphones and would recommend them as a primary or secondary set of headphones for the CTX 3030.
    rc2125 likes this.

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1292 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well, there are two different Pelso headphones... one set is Piezo, and the other is not. The piezo set will go to 200' but they are not as loud and do not sound as good as the non-piezo version.

I am betting you actually have the non-piezo version (which sound better).

The non-piezo version would probably not go deeper than a few feet without destroying the tiny plastic speaker cone.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links