Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like where you are going with this but personally I run the birdshot first 2 rounds then run straight .410 slugs. Any expert CC instructor will tell you that in a panic situation your blood pressure and heart rate instantly spikes. This can and often does alter your minds ability to access and identify surroundings, affects your aim and reaction times. Anyone who hasn't shot #6 highbase at close range should absolutely do so. It is quite impressive. So I shoot the birdshot first. I have to be less concerned about the safety of what is beyond the threat A miss with a plus P or solid projectile can travel for a mile if unobstructed. Secondly my chances of hitting and stopping the threat with the first shot increases dramatically. If the threat is too far away to be affective with highbase birdshot they are too far away to be very accurate with a solid projectile fired from a 2 " barrel. Just my two cents and of course IMO. and the last thing. I highly recommend that ANYONE who CC's to buy affordable insurance that will hire and pay for your attorney fees if you have to exercise your rights. This is no longer the days where you get to go home and all is forgotten. The likelihood of some form of lawsuit is more than likely. In the situation where it was stated the the LEO said you would not be charged had you fired is A) not a guarantee B) If the LEO doesn't charge you Civil Suits can be filed on you from anywhere. The targets family, District Attorneys, anti gun groups. This is no longer a protect yourself country. Sad but True

I like the self defense rounds, you should try them sometime at a target, my .45 is hollow point and if I need to fire it will be close range.

In the state of Florida if you are not charged by the police because it was deemed justified you can not be sued in a civil suit, it is a state law. I also carry Firearm insurance through USCCA, Elite Level.

[h=4]Legal Protection*[/h]
  • $2,000,000 in Self-Defense SHIELD Protection For Civil Defense & Damages
  • $250,000 in Self-Defense SHIELD Protection For Criminal Defense, Bail Bond Funding & Attorney Retainer
  • 24/7/365 Critical Response Team
  • Your Choice of Attorney or Access to USCCA Attorney Network
  • Up-Front Funding For Criminal Defense & Bail Bonds
  • Protection For Use Of ALL Legal Weapons

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the self defense rounds, you should try them sometime at a target, my .45 is hollow point and if I need to fire it will be close range.

In the state of Florida if you are not charged by the police because it was deemed justified you can not be sued in a civil suit, it is a state law. I also carry Firearm insurance through USCCA, Elite Level.

[h=4]Legal Protection*[/h]
  • $2,000,000 in Self-Defense SHIELD Protection For Civil Defense & Damages
  • $250,000 in Self-Defense SHIELD Protection For Criminal Defense, Bail Bond Funding & Attorney Retainer
  • 24/7/365 Critical Response Team
  • Your Choice of Attorney or Access to USCCA Attorney Network
  • Up-Front Funding For Criminal Defense & Bail Bonds
  • Protection For Use Of ALL Legal Weapons
Oh Yes Florida. Great gun laws. Love it! I have fired the defense rounds at close range and they are impressive. Agree 100% And good on you for carrying the insurance!
I live in California and only have a ccw because I move and carry a lot of valuables for business. They are very very hard to get and even harder to keep if you ever have to use it.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in California and only have a ccw because I move and carry a lot of valuables for business. They are very very hard to get and even harder to keep if you ever have to use it.
Time to move isn't it,:laughing9:In NH you have constitutional carry.No permit needed to CC.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to move isn't it,:laughing9:In NH you have constitutional carry.No permit needed to CC.
LOVE IT! and yes if my business were transportable I would have left California 20 years ago Great Weather but the trade off is you live surrounded by idiots. The day After I retire, I am gone

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever I'm detecting, be it park or beach, my favorite is a Smith and Wesson Airlite 8 shot .22LR Revolver. Fits in the front pocket of my shorts and since it's light and compact it doesn't "print" and it's easy to get to. Ask any emergency room physician about how a .22 "tumbles" thru your guts as opposed to a larger Caliber going straight thru. When I'm not detecting my favorite Carry is a single stack Glock Model 43 in 9mm. Last, but not least, if I'm detecting for gold in the mountains where there are Bears I like a .357 revolver. Functions much better than an Auto if I get it dirty.
I love this thread and it does prove a point. Everyone here has a favorite carry and for the most part they are all different. This has answered the question of the original poster. what is a good carry? Its the one you like and the one that you can shoot and be comfortable and accurate with. Lots of great guns and great ammo have been mentioned (Like +Ps) but if you can't hit anything with it I don't care how good it is. Find a weapon that you like, pick an ammo that you like. Learn how to shoot it and stick with it! That way when an emergency situation comes you can perform effectively. That is why I personally do not mix up a lot of different ammo in my Smith .410 Governor every round shoots differently and to remember what you have in what order is too much for my brain. 2 #6 and 4) slugs EZ. IMO of course

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I prospect with my Smith .410 with the first two loaded with birdshot for snakes. Fun gun, too big for the beach though.

Dadhumanizer

Dec 5, 2018
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sad but I am seriously considering getting a CCP for myself and the wife. I am sure I will learn this but do I just carry in a holster on my side? Just doesn't seem feasible to put it in my finds pouch. Mostly for accessibility. BTW I have Glock 22 (40 caliber).

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Conceal carry.Open carrying makes you the first target if there's some nut job around that wants to start crap.

Dadhumanizer

Dec 5, 2018
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heard a story couple years ago there was a couple out looking in the woods. Came upon a leanto and out of the blue a homeless man comes out and shoots this guy's wife in the chest. In a public park... Crazy...

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
On the beach I wear swim trunks and a t shirt
Where do you conceal it?

You could do like some idiot thugs do and have the butt end of a 9mm tattooed just above the waistline of your swim trunks.

Dadhumanizer

Dec 5, 2018
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could do like some idiot thugs do and have the butt end of a 9mm tattooed just above the waistline of your swim trunks.

That was the reason for my question. If I get surprised will I have enough time to pull it from my concealed location. Which would be my pouch.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Rely on accuracy not firepower lol.Thats the only reason punks carry high capacity pistols.Firepower is good,accuracy is final.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Yes Florida. Great gun laws. Love it! I have fired the defense rounds at close range and they are impressive. Agree 100% And good on you for carrying the insurance!

I live north of you. I'm sorry to say but, we are going the same route as Cali. We've got "Moonbeams" cousin running our state. More restrictive guns laws coming down the pike.:censored:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If a law is passed that is unconstitutional it is not a law.It is a citizens NOT to obey it.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My choice is a 1911 officers model. Just remember practice practice practice no matter which gun you choose.

Dadhumanizer

Dec 5, 2018
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talked with my local gun shop. They say because I am a veteran I don't have to take the class. Just need to go to a local tax office to get fingerprinted and fill out the form... Oh and pay the 97 bucks.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My choice is a 1911 officers model. Just remember practice practice practice no matter which gun you choose.
That's basically what my other CC pistol is.Mines a Para Ordnance P12 .45,most 1911 parts will interchange,except the main frame.it has a double stack magazines,10 rounds,12,or 14.add one in the chamber.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sad but I am seriously considering getting a CCP for myself and the wife. I am sure I will learn this but do I just carry in a holster on my side? Just doesn't seem feasible to put it in my finds pouch. Mostly for accessibility. BTW I have Glock 22 (40 caliber).
As a rule. It is unwise to CC your weapon in a finds pouch or any other thing that will contain other things. ALWAYS CC your weapon in a proper holster. The "other" things can get worked up against the trigger and discharge your weapon. Big no no having your weapon discharge when it is on your person. AH yet another story time. Once upon a time way back when the dinosaurs were just starting to croak and R Dickey AKA TRDKING was a wee 7 or 8 years old. He lived in his parents house in the middle of Barrio South Side Whittier California. The Casa was one block and a right turn from good ol Joes Liquor store its local being on a busy intersection on the skirts of said Barrio. Being its high visibility location, the under brush of the Barrio liked to on frequent occasion knock it off, stick it up, pull gun and rob. I was playing in the front yard and heard the BANG and of course went running in the direction of gunshot Thank the lord for protecting me later in life but at 7 lessons still needed to be learned. I approached the corner to see a white long haired male lying on the sidewalk in a pool of his own blood. the front of his jeans in the upper front thigh completely blown open. His flesh was rapidly shedding the red fluid of life from a football shaped form on his thigh that used to be a portion of his leg but was now a crater of missing Filet mignon. So it seems said hippie looking dude went in and pulled a .38 revolver on poor Joe. Joe immediately gave him the contents of the register which he stuck in his pocket along with .38 revolver and proceeded to run into the Barrio. He made it to the corner before the paper money worked it way into the trigger guard and discharged the .38 right into his leg, ricocheting off his femur and exiting about 5 inches from the entry leaving football shaped crater in leg. I remember all of this like it was yesterday and the part that sticks in my brain the most was the incredible screaming noises that came from this man as he went into shock. He would have bled out but Mr Tito Camacho who lived on the corner and very familiar with gunshot wounds from the war applied a turniquet and direct pressure until the cops could come. After the commotion was over and Tito was hosing the blood off of his sidewalk, he proceeded to tell me how the man shot himself and then gave me my very first lesson on gun safety. Miss that man. DO NOT ever carry your weapon on your person in anything but an approved holster. I mean you can, but it is seriously not advisable. end of story, sorry to bore you.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread