tips for night time hunting please also for staying safe

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
hi any tips for night time hunting on the beach would be great advantage's disadvantages also and the saftey side ie avioding getting robbed etc bearing in mind we are not allowed to carry guns /Knives etc. This is my idea no bathing for a month or shaving so I look like a bum no offence meant to the real life bums and smearing my self in sardines do you think this would work thanks

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a gun permet. And buy a stun gun. Check with your local police to see if there is a
time limmmit for the beach at night .

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am not sure why you feel the need to look like a "bum" and smearing yourself with sardines is pretty extreme! Besides, the detector will be a dead give-away. :D

First, hunt beaches that you know are fairly safe. We all pretty much know what beaches to avoid.

If you can hunt with a buddy at night, do it. If not, arm yourself. If a gun or knife is not possible, find a real sharp 'digging tool', surely that is allowed. I also carry a 4 "D cell" mag light which can also be used as a weapon.

I also raise one of my earcups up off my ear so I can hear what is going on around me. Be observant. Every now and then, stop and look around you.

Finally, let a loved one know where you will be hunting and when to expect you back.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might attract a lot of cats if you smear your self with sardines.

Here are some suggestions.

I hunt at night a fair amount, If you can find a partner. I advise first and foremost to try to always be aware of your surroundings. If you can, try to hunt on nights there is a moon, and use head lamps or cap lights.

Like mad4wrecks says check your surroundings often, and remember a good scoop makes a good defensive weapon, it is like swinging a 6 lb bat. You can also always retreat into the water if needed.

You say you can't carry a knife, but I bet if you took an old fillet knife you will not have much trouble with any police. I carry one that I found on the beach, it looks old and well used like one would look if it has been in the water. I leave mine in my finds trash bag. if asked you only have to say "I found it in the surf". I also carry a divers knife not hidden, but not readily visible either. I was asked by a beach patrol office one night what it was for, I told him "sharks", both sea and land types. He just advised me to be careful.

Good luck and good hunting...

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not hunt with earphones at all at night. Also, I keep my head on a pivot when I hunt alone at night which I try to avoid doing. I constantly look to my rear, front and sides and before I ever get involved digging a target, I make sure that there is nobody near me before start kneeling. I then stop what I am doing every 30 seconds or so and look again. You can't be too cautious nowadays.

I had a group in a vehicle that I am sure was targeting me last year. They drove up with their lights off and they stopped at the road which overlooked the beach where I was. It was about 10:00 p.m. I stopped what I was doing and made a point to walk right at them with my entrenching tool fully exposed in the 90 degree locked position. I stopped about 20 yards away and made it clear I knew they were there. They drove away but I was very observant past that time to watch for their return.

Good tips already about letting someone know where you are and if you must hunt with earphones, keeping one ear uncovered. Buddy hunting at night is really the best way to go. There is always safety in numbers.

Make sure you have a cell phone, have 911 plugged in a ready to go and know how to tell them exactly where you are with no hesitation. Example, "I am on the beach, 100 yards east of the intersection of Hwy 20 and Beachfront Rd."

Guns are a whole new ballgame. Carry concealed permits are available in most states but the decision to carry a firearm should not be taken lightly. There is tremendous responsibility in doing so. Carrying concealed involves a lengthy application process which involves a criminal history, taking gun courses in most states and learning the laws related to Use of Force in your State. You can't shoot someone just because you get spooked! There are clear guidelines for using deadly force and if you make the wrong decision, it will be tragic for you and your family. Even after all that, you have to practice with that firearm just like you do with your detector. Won't do you any good to start learning how to shoot when you need it. I can't tell you how many folks I have heard brag about their gun that is just like new because it has never been fired. WHAT!!! I carry in a belly pack, practice getting to it in a hurry, putting it to work and also reloading quickly. The bad guys usually carry high capacity stuff and you can bet in the heat of a gun battle, your perfect scores at the range drop to about one third of that, especially in the dark. I am a cop and I can tell you that even with my years of experience, I still practice regularly day and night fire to keep that edge. You are never as good as you think you are and just like in the wild west, there is always someone better. Gun ownership is not cheap either. You should only buy a quality firearm which will cost at a minimum 500 bills. Ammo for practice shooting and carry can run into the hundreds easy and your permit, holster, and other odds and ends about the same. By the time you are truly ready, you are well into the grand mark and you have invested some quality time.

To avoid all that stuff with a gun, use common sense. The best practice is to be safe. Trust your instincts when you think something is not right. When you get that feeling, you are probably right most of the time. Get the heck out of there. It is much better to leave the area and hunt another day than stay there and regret your decision for the rest of your life.

Remember that there are some really bad dudes out there and they think nothing about victimizing you if they believe you are an easy mark.

Sorry for the long speech. I hope it helps someone.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very well said Chief! Thank you for you valuable input.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Deal! I am about two hours from you in FL. Did you see Frogfoot's article in Western Eastern this month? He used your detector in Cancun and mopped up.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
1) bring someone with you. an extra set of eyes is the most important thing in a night hunt.

2) no headphones. i use an earpeice that goes in one ear and leaves the other free and clear.

3) dress bummy and no "look at all the stuff i found!" apron. i stick my finds in my pockets

4) try beaches that have people on them. the more witnesses, the less desireable to a thug.

jimmy1956

Jun 13, 2006
I usually hunt the low tides after midnight to dawn. Most of the drunks and troublemakers are passed out or gone by then.

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
One of the advantages of a heavy duty stainless steal scoop with a shovel hande is that you can make melon balls out of potential theives.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Instead of sardines, try rolling around in dog droppings. People are sure to give you a clear berth!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread