Equinox 800 or Excalibur? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Equinox 800 or Excalibur?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    4751 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by dewcon4414 View Post
    I wouldnt say it falses...... its can be a bit chatty if you run HIGH sensitivity...... or real low Recovery Speed because it picks up more of the minerals in the sand. This happens mostly with hard pan.... or when you are out there chest deep. But this machine does seem to like high K gold ..... and smaller gold than the Xcal and coil for coil is deeper in the wet sand than the Xcal.
    Thanks

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1329 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hunting directly behind my buddy (same line in the wet sand) who is very experienced with the Excal, I'd say the equinox. I came home with way more stuff even running behind him.

Also, it's nice to be able to skip over pennies and dimes when you are in a hurry racing the incoming tide because it's easy to identify them.

After the firmware update which fixed the coins on edge problem, I sold off all my other machines.

It is not as nice on the ears though.
    lookindown and GreenMeanie like this.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

us
    May 2014
    Wilmington NC
    Nox 600; CTX; Fisher CZ21; Minelab Excalibur II; White's Surf PI DF; 920i Stealth Scoop
    520 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Equinox for sure. Its lighter, cheaper, and has a better warranty. You can easily swap out the headphones and coil. The only thing I like better about the Excal are the tones, I am not a fan of the beeps you get with the nox/ctx. I've replaced my CZ21, Excal, and CTX with just a Nox 600 and couldn't be happier about it, though I do miss those other machines.

Having said that, pay close attention to OBNs post - out of the box, the nox is going to win. If you are like him and want to modify the excal with better headphones and such, the excal could be a better machine. But it voids warranty and the machine is still much heavier than the nox. It also requires some technical ability to do the mods unless you are paying to have them done.

Regardless, the machine is only 1/2 the battle. Both are great. You aren't going to go wrong with either one.

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    6076 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

rykroll, so what did you get? Do I need to do double time before you get out there?

I think 50% of the club member's own Nox's now.. I see a lot of little gold being found this year in the bay by these guys.
    RustyGold and Earlafindit like this.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
    2020......Gold Rings....35 .......Silvers ...29

us
    Ryan Kroll

Mar 2014
    Annapolis, Maryland
    Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
    318 times
    Metal Detecting
    I sure did! And already scored my first ring. I love it! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557235782.213564.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	659.4 KB 
ID:	1710151
    OBN, RustyGold and AARC like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus
    8749 times
    Very nice ring rykroll. Congrats!

“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    6076 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Another Happy Nox owner, Best bang for the bucks.

Now I have to get my azz in gear...
    RustyGold likes this.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
    2020......Gold Rings....35 .......Silvers ...29

Feb 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
    766 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I think the Nox will be my go to machine for wet and dry sand. I'm still using the excal in the water as I think it will hold up better.
    Escape, OBN, AARC and 1 others like this.
    Debby

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    1134 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Deb I’m using the Nox in the water because of the repairs needed on the Xcal. I believe the Nox May be a bit better on small gold too even in the water. Depth about even. BUT ....running PP the Xcal has the silence factor and some will do better with it especially in PP mode.

Charter Member
    us
    Garry

Nov 2013
    Treasure Coast Of Florida
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab CTX 3030 Garrett AT Pro Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil 3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch Tesoro Sand shark Whites prizim 4 Minelab Go 20 Stealth Extreme 920
    1889 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by flgliderpilot View Post
    Hunting directly behind my buddy (same line in the wet sand) who is very experienced with the Excal, I'd say the equinox. I came home with way more stuff even running behind him.

Also, it's nice to be able to skip over pennies and dimes when you are in a hurry racing the incoming tide because it's easy to identify them.

After the firmware update which fixed the coins on edge problem, I sold off all my other machines.

It is not as nice on the ears though.
    I have found rings at TDI 20 .I know it's pennies but there are rings too.
    If you don't look for it you won't find it!! So get out there and dig it.

www.treasurecoastmetaldetecting.com

Ring Total - 2020 - 8 Gold - Total Rings 31

Charter Member
    us
    Colonel

Jan 2014
    Central Florida
    CTX 3030; EQX 800; Excal II
    1159 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Obviously everyone has their personal preference, but for me, I haven't used my Excal since I got the EQX 800. The EQX has a much faster processor, more sensitive to small targets than the Excal, lighter and it's easier to swing for long periods so it fits my needs on the beach better than any other machine I've ever owned or tested.

Since I no longer go into deep surf, the Excal has been hanging in my hobby room for over a year. Were I into diving however, I'd take the Excal.

Just the view from my foxhole...
    AARC and RustyGold like this.
    ~The Challenge: Big Beach; Little Coil; Tiny Targets~

~"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~ Leonardo da Vinci

~Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. It’s up to you to pick the best seat~

us
    Nov 2009
    Mid Atlantic Coast DE.
    f75se,CTX3030, Equinox 800, Deus ,Excal blue 800 & 1000,,Surf pi Df
    68 times
    I like my Excalibur blue's with pp, and skullie's ,this set up has shed new light , deeper whisper's, and sparked an interest with the Excal's, on hearing deeper gold which i could never hear before, yesterday i was using the Nox with the 15 inch coil , and the wireless , at time's it drove me nut's with the chatter, even making adjustment's, it was the EMi from certain condo's , i might try Tony's phone's on it next hunt ,even though i am not going past ankle deep, just to see if it's the Blue Tooth interference i am getting , along with the emi from the condo's , i like both machine's, i like the lightness of the Equinox, however i probably will never submerge the head, i have a cover over it, does a nice job keeping the salt off the screen , i also had a few times the coil flipped up under the water , just ankle deep, the 15 is not recommended over the 11 in water, in my opinion, i will also say i was not using a ML lower rod, it was the Carbon Fiber Lower , with Plugger upper, both machine's have there use, happy hunting, Earl
    AARC and OBN like this.

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    1134 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Sure way to see if its EMI....... put Tonys on and put the box underwater. You can also hold the coil in the air..... chatter still there? Thats EMI. But ...... more than likely what you are hearing is surface minerals that the salt water really lights up. The salt balance appears to be off just a bit on the Nox so minerals react much like HOT ROCKS do when you run to much sensitivity. Try going out neck deep...... you really pick up the chatter then..... because there is a greater concentration of minerals and black sand.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pro Find 35 Pointer Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil
    1799 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You have to ask about longevity when talking about the Nox 800 and when comparing the Excal to Nox 800. Many have had their Excals for 20+ yrs. I have had mine for about 7 yrs and other than just recently replacing the coil cable it has been great with many wonderful water finds. The Nox 800, and I just bought one, has a scheduled life of a few years based on battery life as noted in the Instruction manual (page 8). And, the battery has to be replaced by an authorized dealer. On one blog, the author tried to open the Nox 800 case and destroyed it. Just saying...did I mention that you should also charge it every 3-4 months to preserve the battery to last a few years (page 8 of Instruction manual)?

PS Just read Andy Sabisch's brand new book on the Nox 600/800 and it provides some wonderful insights and suggestions and is considered a must read if you get the Nox 800. [The Nox 600/800 book is not as good as his book on the CTX 3030, primarily because the Nox had not been around that long before the book was written, I think.]
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    1134 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Lawrence...... the Nox has a 3 year warranty.... the Xcal, one then you are paying the bills..... how many repairs have you done? Even the battery on an older Xcal needs replaced. Now..... after 3 years i could buy another Nox....good for 3 more years.... and im barely at the cost of an Xcal. You can change the coil (3 options) and headphones on the Nox YOURSELF. Ill bet you the cost of a NEW head wont be much more than a coil change on the Xcal. You want an eye opener....... take a WHITE gold band about 3 grams and bury it in the WET salt sand on edge. You can use PP or disc...... now tell me which machine you want to use. Im willing to bet you the Nox gets at least 2" on the Xcal even in PP mode on that ring. The TID screen is a plus. Never got to test the Xcal (yet) in the salt water...... but the Nox will get about 10" maybe on a 3 gram YELLOW gold ring depending on your skill to hear it.

Andy writes a good book..... but the simplicity of the Nox compared to the CTX is day and night. The Nox manual ... you have to admit is one of the best ML has written as well.
    Last edited by dewcon4414; Jun 08, 2019 at 06:47 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links