Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By zigzag
  • 2 Post By SD51
  • 2 Post By OBN
  • 1 Post By DeepseekerADS
  • 2 Post By WaterWalker
  • 1 Post By Rick K
  • 1 Post By Chug And Red

Thread: Repair coil

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2011
    ft laud, fl
    CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
    61 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Repair coil

I broke a ear off my Aquasound coil. I tried repairing it twice. The first time I used JB Weld and next I used Loctite Marine Epoxy. They both failed when I tried to install coil. I roughed up both pieces for good adhesion and let it cure longer than required. Anyone know what might work. Thanks…Ed
    Chug And Red likes this.

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    2911 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Just my opinion, but I don't believe you can bond a broken ear back to the coil without adding an additional brace. Find an "L" shaped piece of non-metallic material (extruded angle PVC) and cut off a short piece (1/2" to 1") and attempt to bond this to the coil and the broken ear for additional support.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...All%20Products

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    5112 times
    Gold rings..29..Misc/gold 4...Silver/Sterling 97..FTY
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Look up Mel Parker, I'm not sure if he is still doing them or not.

If I remember correct he used a solvent mixture (MEK) along with old pieces of coils, all mixed and melted by the solvent to shape a new one. The solvent eats into the old coil but its a pour mixture so some kind of jig frame is needed.
    Last edited by OBN; Apr 19, 2019 at 09:52 AM.
    DeepseekerADS and zigzag like this.

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17099 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Not sure if this offer is still open, or if it will actually work for you. I bought a set several years ago just in case, but haven't had to use it yet.

metal detector coil ear repair
    zigzag likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Jan 2007
    Cape Cod, Massachuestts
    Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Troy (X2 X5), Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Pro-Find 35
    508 times
    I have used PC7, a two part epoxy that comes in small cans. Mix per instructions on the can.
    Then drill two or three holes in the "ear" and made sure the epoxy goes through
    the holes and then made an over size "pad" all around the "ear" on the top of the coil.
    Rough up the areas that the PC7 will adhere to. Make sure the epoxy is contiguous from
    above the drilled holes, all around the "ear" and down to the top of the coil and make
    a complete circular pad area around the ear. Let it cure for at least 24 hours.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    570 times
    I have repaired “ears” using acetone, it “welds” the ABS material.
    zigzag likes this.

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    974 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    You might try an l brace or complete u style made out of Lenox plastic. Nautilus....you might contact the owner his coil may fit or he may have the ears....his name is Wayne if I remember right. Rex Johnson was doing those ears I think for Rudy. He might help. Pm me I think I have his email. I’ve got Mel’s email as well.

us
    Wheres The Gold

Feb 2010
    Vancouver WA
    Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro) Chug and Reds New Additions Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250 Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
    2561 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Pictures help A lot Lets see what is going on Please I Have Ideas But need To See the issue
    zigzag likes this.
    "It cant Always Be Silver Or Gold But It Is A Hell Of an Experience Pulling It Out Of the Dirt"

Metal detecting is Like A Marathon, Your Running fast then start Slowing A Bit The You Find Something Interesting And You Pick Up the Pace!!! The Only Difference is If You Are Addicted to this Hobby there Is NO FINISH LINE HH Chug And Red

us
    Sep 2011
    ft laud, fl
    CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
    61 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chug And Red View Post
    Pictures help A lot Lets see what is going on Please I Have Ideas But need To See the issue
    I'm unable to send pics. I don't know why but thanks.

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    974 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    If you have the program PAINT you can easily size your photos. bring up the picture you want........ right click the mouse..... hit OPEN WITH...... then hit paint. Upper left you should see RESIZE .... hit it and change 100 to say 20...... then hit the disk looking icon in the upper left to save the change. should load easily then here.

See the A..... B I U and smilely face at the top of your reply? 3rd one from the far right is .....INSERT IMAGE.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links