Scorpius

Greenie
Jun 16, 2019
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so i have a TekNetics delta 4000 i picked up years ago. Itā€™s done great in my yard and found some interesting coins kids have lost playing in it.
Took it to Cape San Blas last year and made it just made so much noise no matter what i tried, dry sand it did ā€˜okā€™ anything near the water or within 50 yards of it just noise. So figured maybe it was minerals in the sand. Yup lo and behold i learned there are different metal detectors out there for such things.

Anyhow....few weeks Iā€™m heading to Cape San Blas again, post hurricane and with the peninsula now cut in half i want something i can search the beach, the shores and maybe even out to my waste in the water. The plan is to just walk the surf line and wander, see if that gap to the ā€˜new islandā€™ is walkable or swimmable and go hit it.

Any recommendations for a detector that is good for the semi beginner wonā€™t break the bank (iā€™d Really like to stick sub $1000) and a good scoop thatā€™s not $200.

Also Iā€™d like the luxury of if Iā€™m searching waves and get knocked over or I want to go out to my chest in the surf I can submerge the entire unit and let my kids swim and dig the signals ��

Canā€™t wait for vacation! 7 days in paradise. Thanks for all your help and recommendations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think for your purposes you can get a cheaper scoop..... add that money and get a Nox 600. Its very capable, good price and warranty, and is salt water ready...... just a good all around machine as well. Even used salt water machines may not be in your price range if you want to dunk them. You could well pay for the machine quickly.

OP
OP
S

Scorpius

Greenie
Jun 16, 2019
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edited main post to up my budget to 1k, also want something that if I am out in the water the entire unit can get dunked and I wonā€™t have to worry.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy the Equinox 800 and a good scoop and keep in mind a $200 scoop can be sold years down the road for $150-$175 all day long, done so couple times myself.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox 600 or 800. Good, light and not complicated and under $1000

OP
OP
S

Scorpius

Greenie
Jun 16, 2019
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox 600 or 800. Good, light and not complicated and under $1000

And i can dunk this completely underwater in say 5 ft of water and it wonā€™t damage the unit?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
And i can dunk this completely underwater in say 5 ft of water and it wonā€™t damage the unit?

Yes you can no problems. Keep in mind what Treasure Hunter said about the scoop. A good quality stainless steel scoop will be needed for what you want to accomplish. Theyā€™re not cheap and itā€™s probably a good idea to add a carbon fiber handle to keep it light. Check out The Stealth 720i or Stealth 920i. Good luck!
Welcome to TreasureNet Scorpius.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectorpro Headhunter Underwater. $680. Dive to 100 feet. Very easy to learn. Electronics are in the headphones. Rechargable @40 hours per charge. I use mine in fresh and salt water, and also on dry land that is not overly trashed up. 8" coil is fine, but I'd go with the 12" if I bought another. There are a few YouTube vids on it. I love mine.

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Agree with above. You must use underwater approved headphones if you fully immerse the nox control pod. If so you donā€™t need the nox wireless phones. Wireless wonā€™t work underwater and the minelab wireless phones are not splash proof. And you canā€™t skip underwater headphones all together if you plan on using nox underwater. The built in speaker wonā€™t be loud enough below water I am told. If you just wade and keep the control pod above water the kids will be able to hear the sounds.

Detecting in the surf can be difficult. Canā€™t tell where your home is but if not familiar with beach hazards like how to identify, avoid and escape riptides and rocks or coral you and your kids might be knocked into or step on. Have fun be safe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Scorpius

Greenie
Jun 16, 2019
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For scoops. How would this one be?
Figure it this way. Iā€™m at the beach for 7 days, once a year. If i detect 3-4 hours morning and evening with the tides would it at least last my 1st trip if not 2-3 years from now?

The area is Cape San Blas (near port st. Joe) so the sand is nice and fluffy. Just shells to deal with in the wake. Iā€™ll probably hit traffic areas in the dry fluffy stuff, walk the water line and maybe venture waist deep depending on currents at the time. Ill venture out further if needed to get where Iā€™m not dragged off of hits by the current. (Assuming hits)

http://https://www.amazon.com/CooB-Detecting-Stainless-Detector-Hexahedron/dp/B075VDJZTF/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?keywords=3mm+stainless+steel+sand+scoop&qid=1560824074&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr2

Last edited by a moderator:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks good but I would be suspect of the supports lasting. I have a small coob and itā€™s a very decent sand scoop.
Good luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For scoops. How would this one be?
Figure it this way. Iā€™m at the beach for 7 days, once a year. If i detect 3-4 hours morning and evening with the tides would it at least last my 1st trip if not 2-3 years from now?

The area is Cape San Blas (near port st. Joe) so the sand is nice and fluffy. Just shells to deal with in the wake. Iā€™ll probably hit traffic areas in the dry fluffy stuff, walk the water line and maybe venture waist deep depending on currents at the time. Ill venture out further if needed to get where Iā€™m not dragged off of hits by the current. (Assuming hits)

http://https://www.amazon.com/CooB-Detecting-Stainless-Detector-Hexahedron/dp/B075VDJZTF/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?keywords=3mm+stainless+steel+sand+scoop&qid=1560824074&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr2

It would probably work ok for your use in dry sand and mild wet/water use. It would never hold up to heavy duty use.

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was there for the month of April and the cut thru the peninsula was very interesting , deep and flowing hard.
It was filling in naturally and now is completely filled in .
They have the area thatā€™s north of the cut off limits until they get it cleaned up
Itā€™s nice to see the area come back from that devastating storm
BT

OP
OP
S

Scorpius

Greenie
Jun 16, 2019
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was there for the month of April and the cut thru the peninsula was very interesting , deep and flowing hard.
It was filling in naturally and now is completely filled in .
They have the area thatā€™s north of the cut off limits until they get it cleaned up
Itā€™s nice to see the area come back from that devastating storm
BT

Any specific area there you recommend to a new guy to search for rings coins? Iā€™ll be staying right over near that low broil shack

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had that one but returned it. The shape caused damp sand to stick and required 2-3 extra shakes for each scoop. Maybe in water or in dry sand it would sift easier. Settled on stealth 7 only problem which was my fault is the holes are so big smaller targets drop out. Told myself i only want larger stuff but then get to wondering what dropped out. You can add smaller mesh or order it with smaller holes on the bottom.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread