First time in the water. Fisher 1280x

N

nutso

Ice is out! went to the local beach on the river for an hour. Slow current, zero visibility, Waste deep with waders. Blind Pinpointing isn't easy neither is getting the scoop in the right place but I got the hang of it after a while. Found clad, 2 quarters, 2 pennies one nickle. Also found small pieces of foil, two six inch pieces of wire, a washer and 2 hair clips. No pics, yall know what they look like.
Althoug I didn't find much it gave me a chance to try out the new detector and my hand made scoop. Both worked well. I was able to use zero desc and max sens and had just an occasional chirp of chatter, nothing much really. Hands were cold at first till I remembered my diving gloves were in my pocket. DUH! Got rid of my MD withdrawl symptoms today. WHHHHOOOOWHOOO
dig em up dig em up whooowhooo

Upvote 0

Wayne from Maine

Mar 22, 2005
Portland Maine
Used the 1280x for many years....paid for it's self many times over. No hope for the ice out in Maine yet.Last year it was May 8th, and we had a much milder winter then this winter. >:(

OP
OP
N

nutso

Went to a lake boat launch yesterday. I won't have to buy sinkers for a while. Bent my scoop a liitle too. They put crushed stone out about 10 feet. Made the digging real tough. Found out my neighbor has been detecting for 25 years so more sites will now be available. He's lived here his whole life and his family were settlers of this area back in the 1770's.

F

Floater

nutso said:
Went to a lake boat launch yesterday. I won't have to buy sinkers for a while. Bent my scoop a liitle too. They put crushed stone out about 10 feet. Made the digging real tough. Found out my neighbor has been detecting for 25 years so more sites will now be available. He's lived here his whole life and his family were settlers of this area back in the 1770's.
That is SWEET. nothing like having some local knowledge and someone to hunt with. good luck and looking forward to those finds. Gravel under water at the beach. OUCH. LOL. HH

OP
OP
N

nutso

Unfortunately I was very sore the next day. I guess I used muscles I hadn't used in a while. At 50 years old there's probly alot of muscles I haven't used in a while. But because of that I modified my scoop. Put a shoulder strap on it from the 90 degree handle to the scoop so I can grab that and lift it out of the water better. Also put a foam insulation around the handle so it'll float. Took a while to get accustom to dropping my detector, I used an XLT prior to this and held on to it tightly in ankle deep water. I'm looking forward to cking out an abandonded beach I swam at 40 years ago and it closed shortly after that and has never been detected as far as I know.(private property). Luckily it's friends of the family that own it.

OP
OP
N

nutso

The Buzzard King said:
I purchased a Fisher 1280X last weekend. My first upgrade from a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. So far, I've found several coins. A gold watch. And a WWII artilery shell on the beach. I plan to do some beach detecting this summer, in fresh and salt water. It seems like I'm getting some pretty good depths out of it.? I'm intersted in other peoples opinions on this machine, and any advise. Thanks.
Was that on an ocean beach?Were you able to run max sensitivity. How deep were you finding things? I like the hip mount.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions