Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,
I currently have the White V3I. I like it but wouldn't lie that its complicated and very chatty at times especially as I near saltwater. I want to buy a second detector that I can dedicate for salt beaches and bring with me on vacation to detect while in the water snorkeling. It wouldn't hurt if I could rely on it in the field from time to time although the V3I will be used primarily for that reason. My fiends say I should stick with Whites because that is all I've ever known. They said I should look at the MX Sport.
Aquachigger has had me sold on the AT Max for awhile now but reviews seem to suggests its just as chatty in the salt.
I was considering an Excaliber II but its pricey.
The Tesoro Tiger Shark seems highly rated but I don't know a darn thing about Tesoro.

So now that you know what I am trying to do with it, what are your recommendations? Thank you!

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments. Right now it looks like the Nox 800 is going to be the one. I was considering the CTX3030 but too many people have said the 800 is as good or better. In second place is the Whites Beach Hunter. Pulse is totally the way to go with a salt Beach machine but I really like having a screen to look at and Ive been told Pulse machines are useless on land.

Not useless, but, usually heavy, awkward, and time consuming digging all those iron targets.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher cz-21.
I have a Fisher cz6a. It has two modes, salt and normal. The salt mode is the same electronics as the cz-21. Great depth , very stable in salt water. Duel frequency with good discrimination.

I don't believe the 6a is still available new. You can still get the 3D, but, it's not waterproof. It does work in salt water, just not as good as the Equinox and other Minelab machines IMO.

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox is probably your best bet and if its truly going to be dedicated to salt beaches the 600 is probably a better choice. Why pay for a bunch of settings you don't need?

6mmslayer

Aug 17, 2019
Va
Detector(s) used
Excalibur detech coil. Tesoro tiger shark, Xp deus 2, Nokta Anfibio muli, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used a fisher cz 20 for years. Both land and sea. Got an Excalibur and prefer it more for hunting beaches. In and out of water. Definitely would recommend a waterproof machine if hunting close to the water. A wave will always get you when your not looking. Good luck!

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Should I be concerned that its an old detector? From what I understand its been out now for 15 years.

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
I have V3i, mx sport, excalibur 1000, excalibur ii, Ctx 3030, equinox 800 among others. The equinox , Excalibur’s and Ctx 3030 are all good salt and fresh water machines the equinox is the most cost effective and useful all arpund machine. It is not chatty in salt water and very capable in water and land is the best bang for your buck. The Mx sport is capable in fresh and salt water but more chatty the the others as you have to decrease sensitivity and loose depth it is equal to the garrett at max and pro.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Should I be concerned that its an old detector? From what I understand its been out now for 15 years.

Which machine are you referring to? The Excalibur being old technology? I wouldn't worry about that. It's still the standard for deep water, salt water, and with discrimination, machines, and as good or better than others for shallow water. There are better choices for a land machine however. If you want one machine to do both, the Equinox and CTX are the best on the market at the moment. If you want multiple detectors, the options are a bit more, but, those two are still high on the list.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Equinox 800 for sure! I’ve had mine underwater with no issues and it is an early version. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread