Who detects on Ft Laud. or Hollywood Beach...Need advice

ExcalSam

Sep 8, 2019
Davie, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ok...Went to the beach today to try detecting in the water. Tried to follow previous advice of knee-deep. Well, the conditions were as good as they can get. No heavy waves, just swells. Anyway knee deep is where the sand undulates as it washes in and out. Any further out and it's waist to chest deep. The swells would buffet me around. Took me forever to dig an aluminum pull ring out due to sifting sand and low visibility. (Yes, I knew it was a pull tab but working on technique). Most of the people were at this depth although another 20' out was neck deep and probably better. But to go out there I would need to SCUBA or Hooka, which presents it's own problems with dragging the gear to location.

Now, I could detect the towel line, but that would have to be in the evening. I know they drag the beaches early in the morning. And i'm sure that there would be more jewelry in the water. I got a lot of time off, but during the day. Also, detecting with a million people around is a PITA.

I hate to be relegated to just detecting up on the treasure coast when I can get up there.

So, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I did find a quarter laying on the sand???

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off topic a bit.... Hey Casper..... Where's the surfboard in that first pic???? With that wave action I think I will stick to The Left coast FL and CT, RI beaches!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...the top pic with Casper that is lol
No ..the funny one would have been 10 sec. later - my GF and hunting friend - don't know if anyone knows him - Bill Harris
he is long time Fort L. hunter - were watching me battle it out. My Gf took that pic and I got creamed by the next and got flipped upside down
but she was not prepared to take another pic and missed it.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Now that sounds like it would’ve made a great pic for a treasure magazine. The things we’ll endure to get that treasure. Awesome!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off topic a bit.... Hey Casper..... Where's the surfboard in that first pic???? With that wave action I think I will stick to The Left coast FL and CT, RI beaches!!
I book a vacation - usually way ahead of time - so i gotta make the best of it sometimes
i have had more than a few rough water trips where friends i have down there have just come to watch me cause they said
there is no way they were getting in when they can just wait for calm weather
In all my times down to Fla. ive never had a local in with me in rough waters - sometimes that has played to my
advantage cause other vacationers were still swimming and still losing jewelry at times when i was told water was rough
for a week or two - i have to do what i can while Im down there and hopefully getting beat up now and then will pay off
I have had a couple of trips where there was no way to hunt Atlantic side and had to go to plan B and drive across to Gulf side.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone recognize these 2 pirates - Met Bill on SOuth bch yrs ago - been friends ever since
Bill introduced me to Mike = Surfrat ..Have hunted with Mike a few times
They both watched me one day I was down there - we met at South bch and we were the only ones on the beach
and that is rare - windy as heck - big waves and white caps - they laughed and said "have fun"
I got in and got into a trough and was finding quarter after quarter - a good sign but they said not good enough
for them. I then got a huge silver band and held it up to them... they said "not good enough for us to get beat up"
I then found a watch and held it up and they looked at each other because i was finding stuff left and right
but they yelled" show us some gold!" I got bounced around for about an hour and had a handful of finds but never
got gold that morning. When I got out and pulled the watch out they almost sh#t cause it said ROLEX and looked
like a Submariner but turned out to be a fake
attachment.php

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swells are a PITA. Years ago up on the treasure coast, I was wading knee deep (I know) and hit this really high tone on my Excal. Unfortunately, the swells were close to 1' and close together. Knocked me off my spot and couldn't find it again. (should have kept searching) Never had a tone like that before. I assume silver. Gold I know is a mellow low tone, lower than aluminium. Kicking myself in the butt ever since.
That, was a beer can or Skoal container, trust me.... :notworthy:

I try not to go out when it's rough, I do prefer glass water.... :laughing7:
I don't like to go too deep, depending on conditions/visability (I've already been mistaken for food once in low visibility waters).
I also find the snorkle a pita unless it's really calm, not that I'm wussyfied, I'm just over being beat to death by an ocean.
My friend will go from shore out as far as she can, up to her neck, working a grid in a section. I'll only go neck deep if there's good visability.

Do check out your webcams in the mornings, there's a lot of good beaches all over Broward.
The shifting sands just makes some spots deeper than others, keep at it,
you'll find what works for you.

deepwaters.jpg

Just got to hang in there, everyday can be different, in the water.
GL & HH

OP
OP
E

ExcalSam

Sep 8, 2019
Davie, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That, was a beer can or Skoal container, trust me.... :notworthy:

That was not a beer can or Skoal container, trust me. I know what aluminium sounds like. Also, this was a small target.

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was not a beer can or Skoal container, trust me. I know what aluminium sounds like. Also, this was a small target.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right, maybe next time you'll get it. :thumbsup:

Wishing you luck, with all that... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions