🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Day 1:

Got down to Florida from Ohio on Dec 11th and had a real itch to hit the water ASAP. Hit the water with my CTX 3030 and spent 7 hrs cherishing my new environment — a whole mile of pure white sand and surf. The water was a warm 66 deg with small surf; my wetsuit shortly and long wetsuit pants proved sufficient for a long day in the water.

It is winter down here and few people, except for tourist, hit the water. Pickings are slow and far between; going 5-10 minutes without even a hit. But my 17” coil on the CTX covers a lot of ground and the coins were coming, albeit slowly. About 4 hrs into my hunt I snagged my first piece of jewelry this MD season — a small tungsten wedding band.

Tungsten Ring 122019.jpg

About 5 minutes later I got a good solid signal (12) on the CTX and at the bottom of sand scoop appeared a thick gold band. The band is marked 14K and the two side stones test as diamonds. The center stone is jet black. The ring weighs in at a hefty 10.42g.

14k Band w 2 diamonds 122019.jpg

Day 2: Low Tide

The next day I decided to hit my favorite low tide beach with threatening skies and high winds keeping people away from the beach. The day turned-out to be one of those fishing weight days — all day I was finding fishing weights, 13 to be exact, and except for the usual coins nothing else; read no jewelry. To complicate matters, my CTX 3030 died. Just wouldn’t turn on; nothing. The day before (read above) I had taken it for the first time in the water since getting it back from Minelab for repairs (water intrusion into the speaker) this summer. Back to the shop. Have to rely on the NOX 800 with 15" coil.

Day 3: During the Wash

High winds were out of the ENE and conditions were favorable for a very low low tide. I ignored for the moment the 46 deg temp and 20 mph winds. The surf report predicted ½ to 1 ½ ft surf and I planned another day in the water — way out there where it usually would be over my head and where few hunt. But when I arrived at the beach, the waves were breaking on the far sand bar like there was no tomorrow, heck they were 2 — 3 footers. Dang it was cold. Gasp, I contemplated turning around any going home. But I regained my sanity and nixed the deep water. Because of the blowing wind and chill factor in the teens (or so it seemed) I donned not one but two wet suits; my 3mm full suit and my 3 mm shorty. My 3mm suit is 10 yrs old and has age cracks (dry rot) and didn’t provide much protection from the chilling wind. Luckily I had my shorty in the truck.

Because my CTX 3030 died the day before, I used my Equinox with 15” coil to cover the wet sand and very shallow surf as the waves rolled in. It was a great day for MDing given the temp and wind — not many people ventured onto the beach in early morning and I was free to grid the tidal zone in relative peace.

The NOX 800 is known for detecting small pieces of gold (and small pieces of junk as well) and the NOX 800 didn’t disappoint today. My first piece of jewelry was a large Man’s silver ring with large yellow stone (7.52g).

Silver ring w Yellow stone 122019.jpg

Next came two small costume rings (moon and moon and star), palm tree pendant and small mermaid pendant.

A small 14k gold pendant with center diamond (about 0.1 ct, 3.5g) let itself be known but wasn’t easy to find with caked sand concealing it in the sand.

20191219_170842.jpg

Talk about small and light weight; my next gold discovery was this small 10k gold ear ring (0.54g) with 25 small clear stones believed to be diamonds.

Gold Ear ring 122019.jpg

My last nice find for the day was this interesting silver ring with 3 moveable metal bands.

Ring of rings 122019.jpg

As for junk, my smallest find of the day was this 0.03g scrap piece of aluminum that was about 2mm across.

Smallest Junk aluminum 122019.jpg

Also found about ½ dozen small (3mm) aluminum discs that weigh in about 0.13g each.

Junk aluminum 122019.jpg

During the wash hunt, I used the dump sand — kick sand — sweep — kick sand —etc technique to recover targets. My Pointer was extremely helpful in finding targets too small to localize in the sand. Most of the junk and good targets I found would not have been recoverable in the water since they would have simply passed through my sand scoop that has 5/8” holes. I guess this is one of the draw-backs to having a detector that detects real small targets; it is very frustrating or impossible to recover such small targets in the water. First time in the water with the NOX, I found the NOX 800 and 15” coil to be easy to use and operate in Beach mode and in salt water with Sensitivity running from 19 — 23. Recovered some fairly deep targets as well (12 — 15”).

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not catch "where" in Florida you were.

In other words,,, What beach ?

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have done better in a few days than I’ve done in the water all month..... congrats on so nice tickets there. I don’t want to.... but if you keep finding those gold tickets in the wet/dry sand you may get company lol

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Nice finds. Not to many people have been swimming in the west coast lately. You did good. Congrats. I’m curious do you use a band on the clamps of your CTX to secure the battery?

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
AH. those little aluminum disks. I often wondered were they came from as I find them all over the ocean's bottom.
After pondering over it for hour...I believe they come from the pull tabs on soda and beer cans. They look like:

Attachments

• Al disc.jpg
    Al disc.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 79

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Nice Hunts! I’ll take it from here. Be down there for the New Years for a week or so. Can hardly wait as I’ve not been in the water since September and really focused on land hunting this past season with the Nox 800. Had to clean out my hot spots I.e. fields and cellar holes before someone else got to them.

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
My last nice find for the day was this interesting silver ring with 3 moveable metal bands.

View attachment 1781952

Found a similar one this year in Mexico.

Attachments

• E5F137D3-BA14-453E-9877-800B447D4BB9.jpeg
    E5F137D3-BA14-453E-9877-800B447D4BB9.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice finds. Not to many people have been swimming in the west coast lately. You did good. Congrats. I’m curious do you use a band on the clamps of your CTX to secure the battery?

I don't use a band but I do think it a good idea. [I have put a tampon inside the battery compartment, just in case some water gets in.] In water for about 2 yrs (about 400 hrs) when CTX died from water intrusion into speaker system (and not via the battery) and don't know if others will experience a similar failure. BUT, given cost of CTX, I'm a littler more than disturbed by the water intrusion AND even more disturbed that after it was fixed (very quickly by Minelab) the CTX died again after I took it out first time in water this season.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Could it be a battery problem with the charger or the battery?

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice Hunts! I’ll take it from here. Be down there for the New Years for a week or so. Can hardly wait as I’ve not been in the water since September and really focused on land hunting this past season with the Nox 800. Had to clean out my hot spots I.e. fields and cellar holes before someone else got to them.

You may be amazed by the small targets the Nox 800 detects on the beach/surf. I'm talking about 1 mm sized targets, trash mostly but also small ear rings. Some of these small targets you detect w the 800 can't be found in the sand w/o a pointer.
Found 3 more small ear rings yesterday w the 800, all junk. I just know I'm going to find a nice diamond ear ring this season w the 800. Just know it given what I've found so far this season...and now I know where they're hiding!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Love the big 10.42 gold! Nice chunk!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt, congrats! :occasion14: Sorry to hear about the CTX. :BangHead:

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
You may be amazed by the small targets the Nox 800 detects on the beach/surf. I'm talking about 1 mm sized targets, trash mostly but also small ear rings. Some of these small targets you detect w the 800 can't be found in the sand w/o a pointer.
Found 3 more small ear rings yesterday w the 800, all junk. I just know I'm going to find a nice diamond ear ring this season w the 800. Just know it given what I've found so far this season...and now I know where they're hiding!

Ya, when I’m down there I use the excal and SurfMaster pro diver combo. The tiny bits drive me crazy.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Could it be a battery problem with the charger or the battery?

Nope, checked-out all possibilities; although battery charger also doesn't work and sending it back in w CT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread