Sensitivity and small targets?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree21Likes
  • 2 Post By Hunting_Dad
  • 6 Post By CASPER-2
  • 2 Post By Irishgoldhound
  • 4 Post By Terry Soloman
  • 4 Post By 1KBlueTuber
  • 2 Post By smokeythecat
  • 1 Post By claire

Thread: Sensitivity and small targets?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2010
    40 times

Sensitivity and small targets?

Another newbie question...
    Im still trying to learn the finer points of the hobby. Ive logged in 20hrs or so on local saltwater beaches and find tgat i am spending a lot of time digging small targets... tiny copper nails, little pieces of pull tabs etc. I know tge key to finding gold is to dig the lower tones, but should i turn my sensitivity down to avoid these targets? Or would i miss too much small gold like earings etc? Its not like the beaches are super trashy, im just trying to become a little more efficient. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Nox800, Beach1, recovery 5, sensitivity 20

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16802 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    you want to be efficient ? dig it all ...nuff said
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Mar 2010
    40 times
    Guess I will be buying a better scoop...

Jul 2013
    1489 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Donít turn down your sensitivity, you will comprise depth. When you eliminate unwanted targets you eliminate wanted targets. Like Casper said.. dig it all, you will get rewarded.
    CASPER-2 and ColonelDan like this.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick
    24656 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Learn to notch out certain targets/numbers. "Small" gold is a fool's errand. I want rings, earrings, bracelets and necklaces, forget about studs. Continue to learn the machine's language.

Oct 2014
    New Hampshire
    Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000 Fisher cz-6a, 1265x, Whites eagle IIsl
    594 times
    Most of that small stuff is just below the surface and gives a shorter duration signal. If your in the wet sand just give it a quick dig/kick with your foot and smooth it out. Usually if I canít see it I move on. With a little more time youíll realize what your really after lies deeper and has a more robust audio tone. Like Casper says though any doubt dig it all!

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    16802 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Come Terry ...you dont want to look for gold earring backs all day? ...they're out there

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Learn to notch out certain targets/numbers. "Small" gold is a fool's errand. I want rings, earrings, bracelets and necklaces, forget about studs. Continue to learn the machine's language.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30345 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I would just dig it all. One of those "iffy" signals for me was a small gold coin once at a salt water beach. I do not notch. On my machine I can generally tell aluminum from gold, but I still dig it all. So far I haven't "lost" any gold targets, but there's a first time.
    ColonelDan and CASPER-2 like this.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    16802 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    you get a weird signal or real iffy one - just take a few seconds like Ron says - give it a kick or a quick scoop
    how much time does it take - a few seconds ...a minute ..it can be worth it - ive gotten iffy ones and was gonna
    walk on by and gave a quick scoop and gotten small chains or pieces of broken gold jewelry or other odd keepers
    I wont dwell on an iffy target but worth a quick check - even large items - Ive seen guys say "its got to be a can"
    and move on and ive gone over and gotten phones, cameras, toy cars and even a few huge silver medallions and chains
    you never know

Quote Originally Posted by 1KBlueTuber View Post
    Most of that small stuff is just below the surface and gives a shorter duration signal. If your in the wet sand just give it a quick dig/kick with your foot and smooth it out. Usually if I can’t see it I move on. With a little more time you’ll realize what your really after lies deeper and has a more robust audio tone. Like Casper says though any doubt dig it all!

us
    Nov 2008
    long island ny
    Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
    665 times
    Dig it all! Especially in the wet sand. Gold chains often read 1-3 on the Nox, same as foil. Dry sand you can learn to discriminate, especially in trashy areas
    CASPER-2 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    33734 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    If you want to find gold, you must dig it all at the beach. I believe it to be the only way.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8678 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunting_Dad View Post
    Another newbie question...
    Im still trying to learn the finer points of the hobby. Ive logged in 20hrs or so on local saltwater beaches and find tgat i am spending a lot of time digging small targets... tiny copper nails, little pieces of pull tabs etc. I know tge key to finding gold is to dig the lower tones, but should i turn my sensitivity down to avoid these targets? Or would i miss too much small gold like earings etc? Its not like the beaches are super trashy, im just trying to become a little more efficient. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Nox800, Beach1, recovery 5, sensitivity 20
    That's my typical initial settings too, although I usually use Park 1 in the dry. If you don't want to miss ANY gold or platinum, you need to dig all non-ferrous readings. In the dry, it really doesn't take much effort to make a recovery.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35, Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil
    1840 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    On the Nox, gold can range from 3 to 24 or so from personal experience. Also heard of small gold finds in the 1-2 range using Beach 1. Generally speaking, the larger the gold weight the larger the VID number (positive correlation). AND, it is not at all easy to find gold on the beach regardless of what you see or read on sites like this one. To work a beach you have to have a sand scoop and dig all targets. Don't be surprised if it takes 60 - 120 hrs of beach hunting to find your first piece of gold, if your lucky! Experience holds the key to success. I have meet plenty of MDers on the beach who have never found a gold ring! Ya know you're getting close when you find silver.

Gold - 21
    Silver 34
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Sponsored Links