Heading to the Florida Keys(Marathon)
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Heading to the Florida Keys(Marathon)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2012
    FL
    white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
    862 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Heading down there for Labor Day weekend for lobster hunting and Metal detecting try to research on the rules of Metal detecting in the shallows down there but canít find much information can anyone give me some advice on what I can do and what I canít or point me in the right direction to read up on it thank you

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    17328 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Blak bart is your man
    AARC and Blak bart like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    68556 times
    Cheech... might wana "keep your eye to the sky".

We have some major weather issues potentially headed our way... currently not sure how it will play out... but your vacation might be "in the wind".

Hope not... more for our sake. heh
    sphillips and Blak bart like this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    beachcomber, treasure hunter, fisherman

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    Mine lab primary fisher secondary
    37876 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    well cheech....weather permitting you might want to hit the Sombrero beach park.....its a pretty nice and popular beach in marathon. I hunt in the water there and over the years its given up some nice gold. Be prepared for the traffic, and crowds. Bahia Honda is on down the keys not to far from marathon. Its a state park and you must ask permission. Most of the time its a yes....no water hunting at this park...but the beach is a good one. Modern drops here, and if your lucky old Spanish stuff can be got....even an occasional Cobb. Rules are vague at different parks here and in the water....I treat it like any other south Florida location...I hunt dry sand all the way out to head deep. The state parks all need permission, and usually they say stay on the beach at the state parks. Stay on the beach down here means like waist deep. Basically I go and hunt and if someone has an issue with that then I deal with those people when I need to. Rarely been shutdown by the law but it has happened. whether there right or not I move on. Stay off the ballast mounds of the 1733 fleet with a detector.....but I do hunt inshore of them in the shallows. Lobsters are on fire this year and everyone is crushing it. Big number being caught by all !! There a lot of pressure though with everyone out there getting them now. Good luck and be careful.....labor day is one of the craziest weekends in the keys...it will be busy beyond your dreams on and off the water...the good thing is its usually a great time so enjoy !! Shoot me a pm....I'll probably be busy but you never know....I'd love to hit Sombrero beach !!
    CASPER-2, AARC, OBN and 3 others like this.
    wahoo caught in bahamas

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    17328 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Funny - early 2000's - they told me just the opposite - i could do the water but stay off the sand - they said holes dont show in the water and were
    worried bout TH'ers leaving holes on the beach instead

Quote Originally Posted by Blak bart View Post
    well cheech....weather permitting you might want to hit the Sombrero beach park.....its a pretty nice and popular beach in marathon. I hunt in the water there and over the years its given up some nice gold. Be prepared for the traffic, and crowds. Bahia Honda is on down the keys not to far from marathon. Its a state park and you must ask permission. Most of the time its a yes....no water hunting at this park...but the beach is a good one. Modern drops here, and if your lucky old Spanish stuff can be got....even an occasional Cobb. Rules are vague at different parks here and in the water....I treat it like any other south Florida location...I hunt dry sand all the way out to head deep. The state parks all need permission, and usually they say stay on the beach at the state parks. Stay on the beach down here means like waist deep. Basically I go and hunt and if someone has an issue with that then I deal with those people when I need to. Rarely been shutdown by the law but it has happened. whether there right or not I move on. Stay off the ballast mounds of the 1733 fleet with a detector.....but I do hunt inshore of them in the shallows. Lobsters are on fire this year and everyone is crushing it. Big number being caught by all !! There a lot of pressure though with everyone out there getting them now. Good luck and be careful.....labor day is one of the craziest weekends in the keys...it will be busy beyond your dreams on and off the water...the good thing is its usually a great time so enjoy !! Shoot me a pm....I'll probably be busy but you never know....I'd love to hit Sombrero beach !!
    Blak bart and ArfieBoy like this.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    17328 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    and back then i had tons of fresh water experience (was using pi pro) but little saltwater experience then and wanted to hit the sand instead
    would kill now to hit the waters there
    Blak bart, AARC and terry g like this.

us
    May 2012
    FL
    862 times
    Thank you for the information if everything works out as planned Iíll PM you just waiting on my equinox 800 to get back from the repair shop for the second time for leaking I have my Excalibar but it really needs to go in for service so hopefully I get my other one back before then really looking forward to getting some lobster to
    CASPER-2 and Blak bart like this.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    17328 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75116520c59bcbc9e4.gif 
Views:	30 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	1857124
    Blak bart and ArfieBoy like this.

us

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    37876 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post
    Funny - early 2000's - they told me just the opposite - i could do the water but stay off the sand - they said holes dont show in the water and were
    worried bout TH'ers leaving holes on the beach instead
    Yes Casper.....they sometimes still do that I've been told I can only hunt the water sometimes too....woooo hoooo....no problem sir !! I just roll with the punches and do what I'm told. Its the crazies that get me....had a lady call the police on me for stealing turtle eggs !! They all laughed and told the crazy turtle lady to leave me alone. She still screams at me on the beach sometimes....she's not all there !!
    CASPER-2, AARC and ArfieBoy like this.
    wahoo caught in bahamas

us

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    37876 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    I think every beach has a crazy turtle lady down here !!
    gunsil, sphillips and smallfoot like this.
    wahoo caught in bahamas

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    17328 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    taunt her - bring some golf balls and tell her" its what s for dinner"

Yes Casper.....they sometimes still do that I've been told I can only hunt the water sometimes too....woooo hoooo....no problem sir !! I just roll with the punches and do what I'm told. Its the crazies that get me....had a lady call the police on me for stealing turtle eggs !! They all laughed and told the crazy turtle lady to leave me alone. She still screams at me on the beach sometimes....she's not all there !!
    Blak bart, sphillips and ArfieBoy like this.

us
    May 2012
    FL
    862 times

Even though my vacation was nice and relaxing only got a chance to hunt for a couple hours one day did mostly lobster hunting with no luck all shorts I guess it pays to have a boat but I did manage to find two earrings(junk)and two pennies had some other family members so wasnít really able to separate for a full day of metal detecting next time Iím down there I will message Blak bart thank you for the offer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2510.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	1862860
    Last edited by cheech; Sep 11, 2020 at 03:29 PM.
    Blak bart, AARC and terry g like this.

us

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    37876 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Next time buddy !!
    wahoo caught in bahamas

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    17328 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Next time buddy !!
    Is Bo's fish truck still in Key West?
    Blak bart likes this.

us

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    37876 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    I havnt seen it in years....washed out in one or another hurricane probably !!
    wahoo caught in bahamas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links