Need Advice - X-Terra 705 Coil Choice for Beach Hunting
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Terry Soloman
  • 2 Post By Fossil4Life
  • 1 Post By Terry Soloman

Thread: Need Advice - X-Terra 705 Coil Choice for Beach Hunting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2014
    12 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Need Advice - X-Terra 705 Coil Choice for Beach Hunting

Iím planning to spend a week in Florida (Fort Lauderdale area) in the next month or two. I have a Minelab X-Terra 705 and looking to hit the beaches with it, both wet and dry sand.

The only coil I have is the Minelab Double-D 18.75kHz coil that came with my detector (the coil was part of the X-Terra 705 Gold Pack I purchased). For pinpointing duties, I have a Minelab ProFind 25.

In any case, what coil/frequency for my X-Terra 705 would be best for beach, break line, dry/wet sand detecting? Not hunting anything specific, rather just finding what I can find.

Any advice or recommendations from the collective would be appreciated! Thanks!

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 -- Minelab Pro Find 35 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick // Sponsored By Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
    25176 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Use any coil you want in the dry sand, because none of them are going to work well on the wet sand. Your machine is NOT built for wet saltwater beaches, but will tear it up in the dry sand.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8942 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    At most beaches, there is more sand to search than you can possibly cover, so, i recommend the biggest coil you can find to get as much coverage as you can. As Terry mentioned, it will probably be a waste of time trying to detect in the wet sand with your machine, but, you can certainly try. You'll probably have to turn the sensitivity way down to make it close to being stable. Oh, and dig everything that isn't a dead iron target. Good luck!
    ​Avitech Associate

Jul 2014
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Use any coil you want in the dry sand, because none of them are going to work well on the wet sand.
    Is there a specific coil frequency I should be using in dry sand?

Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    At most beaches, there is more sand to search than you can possibly cover, so, i recommend the biggest coil you can find to get as much coverage as you can.
    From what I researched, the X-Terra 705 can use the big 15" coils, but they come in three different frequencies. Which frequency should I choose?

At the end of the day, I'm not sure if I should stick with my stock Minelab DD 18.75kHz coil that came with my detector, go for the Minelab 15" DD coil, or the Minelab 10.5" DD round coil.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 -- Minelab Pro Find 35 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick // Sponsored By Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
    25176 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Lower freqs are better for coin-sized targets at depth, while higher freqs (17kHz and above) are better for tiny targets like one-gram gold nuggets.

Jul 2014
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Lower freqs are better for coin-sized targets at depth, while higher freqs (17kHz and above) are better for tiny targets like one-gram gold nuggets.
    So would using a 15” DD 7.5kHz coil on my X-Terra 705 be the best of both worlds for metal detecting dry beach sand? Kind of split the difference, as far as performance and detectability is concerned?
    Terry Soloman and cudamark like this.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    25176 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4Life View Post
    So would using a 15” DD 7.5kHz coil on my X-Terra 705 be the best of both worlds for metal detecting dry beach sand? Kind of split the difference, as far as performance and detectability is concerned?
    Yes!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links