Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://keysweekly.com/42/snorkeler-airlifted-sunday-after-shark-bite-off-marathon/ it ain't no joke....i got to see the wound in some photos....and....this guy is lucky to be alive !! He was attacked immediately after jumping in the water. No warning no provocation !! As a treasure diver in zero viz at 50 ft. I often think to myself while I'm digging in the murk.....wonder when ill be attacked.....my next thought is always the same....wonder when ill find the gold !!

Upvote 0

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its over before you know it, spearfing is fun just always keep an eye out. good video thanks

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the yellow kayak. Old time sea kayker buddy from Scitiute once told me...... Never buy a yellow kayak.... Sharks love them.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had a shark seem to be interested in me at all. Thirty years ago, I was black-water diving in Cooper River, inland from Charleston, when something slammed into my leg. I had a severe bruise there & you can still see the ruptured blood vessels in my leg from it.

I would bet money it was a Bull.
Spook a bull and you will get slammed... even if on its way out... there is a reason it got the name "bull".

And whilst on the subject of ... "shark names and why",,, heh
Tiger sharks also fit their name... very appropriately.

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd hunted the gulf coast of FL in the water a LOT. Also a few times at night, but only knee deep. Never any drama except once when something kept bashing between my legs and hitting the critters my scoop was unearthing.

I've moved over to the east coast of FL now, and to be honest I'm a little nervous about water detecting on this side.

I don't see many water hunters in this area. Is it because of sharks, or just the waves?
Depends on your east coast location. There's a lot of leased areas for treasure, get caught detecting in the water in the Sebastian-Vero Beach area and you could detecting some big problems.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smallfoot.....i used to wade the flats in the bahamas and fish at night. The bahamians thought i was crazy....they told me a story of how a woman was wading at night.....she was bitten on the calf by a small blacktip shark. As she tried to flee she stumbled and fell in the shallow water.....she was torn apart by small blacktip sharks.....she bled to death and had multiple bites on her body......i was told this story by natives on Andros Island when I was in my teens....i believe this happened in the late 50s....when my family had just moved to the bahamas.

Reminds me of the time one of my diving buddies wanted me to go with him spear fishing at night in the Indian river around the bridge. He was doing good on snapper that night and the dummy was towing a stringer full behind him. He told me that something was tugging on his stringer and it got so aggressive he just knew it wasn't the speared fish. When he turned to check on it, he realized it was a huge hammerhead. He told me he gave the stringer away...

IN DA HOLE

Banned
Sep 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the yellow kayak. Old time sea kayker buddy from Scitiute once told me...... Never buy a yellow kayak.... Sharks love them.

Yummy Yellow is what the yellow Yaks are called. If you want to attract big sharks yellow is the colour to get.:laughing7: f you type in a search KAYAK BIG SHARK you will see most photos are of yellow Yaks sometomes with a brown spot in the middle LOL

https://www.caribbeanpaddling.com/blog/white-shark-versus-kayak

Last edited:

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yum yum yellow, thats why I wear all black no colors dont want to look like a fishing lure

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats creepy Ill tell ya if your hungry you will eat almost anything......,

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When metal detecting from neck to waist deep, I am a fanner always keep hand in pocket when i'm not fanning a target, just don't want my arm flopping around like a piece of bait

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://nypost.com/2020/10/08/shark-attacks-man-in-florida-leaving-him-with-8-inch-gash/ ok ok.....I know....its not the keys. But south beach is the mecca of shallow water beach detecting. This time of the year is good shark fishing.....cut one off today after hooking one. So be ware for a month or 2......black tips take small bites, hes lucky he didn't fall down in the water because it would only take 3-4 sharks to rip you apart in small bites !! If you have doubts about this read post #17
https://www.local10.com/news/local/...hospital-with-bloody-leg-bite/?outputType=amp

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We used to kitesurf next to the Skyway Bridge at night near the shipping channel.

You really did NOT want to fall and lose your board.

"body dragging" for 5 minutes looking for it, in the dark, with a light stick zip tied to your waist was basically trolling... and it was truly scary.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remind me not to do that !! Wow that does sound scary !!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sharks have gotta eat, same as you and me.
[I am doubting it takes much to provoke an average shark], probably being in the water where they can catch and eat you is provocation enough.

Mr.Excavator

Jun 24, 2013
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most sharks are curious but not interested. The Four to watch for are Great white, Bull, Hammerhead and Tiger. They will go out of their way for an attack.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No....im a conch.....someone who was born and raised in the islands.....alot of us are fisherman and we fish for everything including sharks. Everything is regulated by federal permitting and government observers.....all sharks are landed whole and all parts are sold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread