Shark attack....fl. keys - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Shark attack....fl. keys

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    beachcomber, treasure hunter, fisherman

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    Mine lab primary fisher secondary
    38825 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Excavator View Post
    Scarry ,part for my group is we were at Sombrero reef swimming there yesterday. Got home then read that someone was bitten about two hours earlier in that spot.
    You guys were lucky....the bull sharks are the most unpredictable of all. We were in the water at the same time 30 miles north.
    wahoo caught in bahamas

us

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    38825 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallfoot View Post
    Keep your eyes open!
    smallfoot.....i used to wade the flats in the bahamas and fish at night. The bahamians thought i was crazy....they told me a story of how a woman was wading at night.....she was bitten on the calf by a small blacktip shark. As she tried to flee she stumbled and fell in the shallow water.....she was torn apart by small blacktip sharks.....she bled to death and had multiple bites on her body......i was told this story by natives on Andros Island when I was in my teens....i believe this happened in the late 50s....when my family had just moved to the bahamas.
    AARC and smallfoot like this.
    wahoo caught in bahamas

us
    Jul 2011
    725 times
    I have never had a shark seem to be interested in me at all. Thirty years ago, I was black-water diving in Cooper River, inland from Charleston, when something slammed into my leg. I had a severe bruise there & you can still see the ruptured blood vessels in my leg from it.
    Blak bart and AARC like this.

Aug 2016
    1743 times
    The man was lucky he did not have his head ripped off , sometimes it seems they just come out from nowhere, fast

us

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    38825 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    i lead people on alot of spearfishing charters....it can happen fast and at any moment. You can see how a good day in the water can go south quick. I usually hover at guard distance while others fish and hunt.....if there is a shark problem its my job to protect and get everyone back on board in one piece. Its no fun to have to go directly at the shark and draw its attention away from guests.....repeated jabs with the spear can usually drive them off....most of the time.....if it really wants you its hard to prevent. This video is from a couple years ago.....this is not me but shows the dangers of spear fishing....if you spear fish long enough you will have a shark encounter !!
    islamoradamark, AARC and terry g like this.
    wahoo caught in bahamas

us

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    38825 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    hey mark.....look how fast and from nowhere that shark went at him !!
    islamoradamark likes this.
    wahoo caught in bahamas

Aug 2016
    1743 times
    its over before you know it, spearfing is fun just always keep an eye out. good video thanks
    Blak bart likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
    Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3). Detecting since 1972.
    1541 times
    It's the yellow kayak. Old time sea kayker buddy from Scitiute once told me...... Never buy a yellow kayak.... Sharks love them.
    Blak bart and gcmsdan like this.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    70705 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptEsteban View Post
    I have never had a shark seem to be interested in me at all. Thirty years ago, I was black-water diving in Cooper River, inland from Charleston, when something slammed into my leg. I had a severe bruise there & you can still see the ruptured blood vessels in my leg from it.
    I would bet money it was a Bull.
    Spook a bull and you will get slammed... even if on its way out... there is a reason it got the name "bull".

And whilst on the subject of ... "shark names and why",,, heh
    Tiger sharks also fit their name... very appropriately.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    Jul 2014
    Wisconsin
    Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
    307 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flgliderpilot View Post
    I'd hunted the gulf coast of FL in the water a LOT. Also a few times at night, but only knee deep. Never any drama except once when something kept bashing between my legs and hitting the critters my scoop was unearthing.

I've moved over to the east coast of FL now, and to be honest I'm a little nervous about water detecting on this side.

I don't see many water hunters in this area. Is it because of sharks, or just the waves?
    Depends on your east coast location. There's a lot of leased areas for treasure, get caught detecting in the water in the Sebastian-Vero Beach area and you could detecting some big problems.
    Blak bart likes this.

us
    May 2019
    Flawda
    Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    2957 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blak bart View Post
    smallfoot.....i used to wade the flats in the bahamas and fish at night. The bahamians thought i was crazy....they told me a story of how a woman was wading at night.....she was bitten on the calf by a small blacktip shark. As she tried to flee she stumbled and fell in the shallow water.....she was torn apart by small blacktip sharks.....she bled to death and had multiple bites on her body......i was told this story by natives on Andros Island when I was in my teens....i believe this happened in the late 50s....when my family had just moved to the bahamas.
    Reminds me of the time one of my diving buddies wanted me to go with him spear fishing at night in the Indian river around the bridge. He was doing good on snapper that night and the dummy was towing a stringer full behind him. He told me that something was tugging on his stringer and it got so aggressive he just knew it wasn't the speared fish. When he turned to check on it, he realized it was a huge hammerhead. He told me he gave the stringer away...
    AARC, sphillips, gcmsdan and 1 others like this.

Sep 2017
    127 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
    It's the yellow kayak. Old time sea kayker buddy from Scitiute once told me...... Never buy a yellow kayak.... Sharks love them.

Yummy Yellow is what the yellow Yaks are called. If you want to attract big sharks yellow is the colour to get. f you type in a search KAYAK BIG SHARK you will see most photos are of yellow Yaks sometomes with a brown spot in the middle LOL

https://www.caribbeanpaddling.com/bl...k-versus-kayak
    Last edited by IN DA HOLE; Oct 04, 2020 at 08:58 AM.
    Mudflap, gcmsdan and Blak bart like this.
    You can remove my words but you can't remove my THOUGHTS

If you remove the words without a direct conversation with me, you will be deemed a lowly COWARD

You may remove the ones who challenge your views, but you are the one thats LOSES in the end.

Free speech is a given right to all on our Planet.

Aug 2016
    1743 times
    yum yum yellow, thats why I wear all black no colors dont want to look like a fishing lure
    gcmsdan and Blak bart like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    42058 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Now thats creepy Ill tell ya if your hungry you will eat almost anything......,
    islamoradamark and Blak bart like this.
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

Aug 2016
    1743 times
    When metal detecting from neck to waist deep, I am a fanner always keep hand in pocket when i'm not fanning a target, just don't want my arm flopping around like a piece of bait

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links