flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you waders with mask and snorkle always fan first then scoop? It would be good if we had three arms so we could hold a fanning stick

How about taping a plastic painters knife on the other end of the scoop? You could flip it around and fan with it! lol

I'm kidding.. I don't fan. I just look to see if I see anything moving as I'm scooping... such as chain falling thru scoop or $20 bill floating away.

Last edited:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a scoop, use a scoop. I do fan with my foot if I suspect its light trash. It'll wash away with a swift kick. Gold doesn't often wash away. At least the gold I'm after. Waders and goggles sound like a dangerous combo. Never seen that done ( successfully).

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hit a lot of spots with age - right now - a lot of the fresh drops have been removed up here after labor day
so if i head out - i will be going for the deep stuff = faint readings
i get a faint or whisper reading - i will fan down 5-6 ins with dive boot and recheck
reading should get louder and in most spots if i get a good reading after fanning - 9 out of 10
times it will be a good metal find and then i scoop

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Before I purchase a two piece farmer John Henderson wet suit at a Dive shop, If I'm only gonna use it in Nantucket Sound from spring to October and local ponds do you think a 5mm would suffice? I don't want to get overheated. Maybe some one that has been on the south side beaches of the Cape can answer that. The water temperature in Nantucket Sound is I think in the low to mid 70's in July and August and I'm guessing they could be around 60-64 degrees by Nov and mid April.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm like Tommy, if it seems to be a "shallow target" and faint I'll fan.. but that rare where I hunt. Most of the targets here are deep, so I use the scoop..one wrong kick of the sand or dig of the scoop can cost you a target...since most are so faint a small change in the sand can hide them

Water temps start hitting the 60's the wetsuit comes off and I go drysuit. I hate being cold..

Best to know what your walking into...

https://eldoradoweather.com/buoy/Northeast US Coast/buoy-xhtml.php

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have different configurations of wet suits - i can hunt year round in new england waters - i wear 7mm for winter waters up here
i usually get tired before i get cold
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/6326091523/

attachment.php
attachment.php

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I decided to go with a 7mm. I can always unzip it if I get too warm. They must have better material than they did in the late '60's. I'm pretty sure my Bailey wetsuit was thicker than 1/2" more like 5/8". I believe 7mm is just a bit thicker than 1/4" which seems a bit on the thin side for a warm suit. Back then the cheaper suits were always ripping and glued together with rubber glue. I used baby powder squeezed into arms and legs to help get them on. I'm hoping to get enough gold while the Nox is under warranty. 2.5 more years, then get a cz21 for water hunting only. The coil on the Nox stays near the bottom unlike the floating coil on the Whites Dual Field but the is a noticeable resistance swinging left to right and recovery with a smaller concentric coil should be much easier since that is the only coil type I have been using for the last 17 yrs. I totally like the Nox for wet and dry. And sooo light weight and many great features

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I LIVE WHERE THE WATER is clear most of the time i only fan, like that mask thats how ya find other stuff

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper you still using that mask? Does it fog up on you?
doesnt fog if you spit and rinse right - i also have a dive spray called spit or i use dawn
that mask is the original full face one - all others are rip offs
i use in winter - keeps face warm

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doesnt fog if you spit and rinse right - i also have a dive spray called spit or i use dawn
that mask is the original full face one - all others are rip offs
i use in winter - keeps face warm

Yeah dish soap... just rinse well... or you will soon know why.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread