BIGGER COIL FOR CTX 3030 FOR THE BEACH
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sandmartin
  • 1 Post By Mr.Excavator
  • 1 Post By treasurehunter1957

Thread: BIGGER COIL FOR CTX 3030 FOR THE BEACH

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    gb
    mr

Apr 2020
    hampshire united kingdom
    minelab ctx3030 , minelab sovereign gt.
    12 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

BIGGER COIL FOR CTX 3030 FOR THE BEACH

COULD ANY ONE TELL ME WHY THERE IS NOT A LARGE 20 INCH COIL FOR BEACH DETECTING FOR THE CTX 3030 , I MUST ADMIT IM NOT TECHNICALLY MINDED , BUT SOME BEACHES ARE LIKE SMALL DESERTS AND GROUND COVERAGE IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS DEPTH ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE TIME LIMITED DUE TO TIDES , I MYSELF USE THE CTX3030 AND FOUND IT TO BE EXCELLENT ON THE BEACH AND I HAVE HAD A REASONABLE YEAR SO FAR WITH GOLD AND PLATINUM RINGS AND COINAGE ON THE SOUTH COAST OF THE UK , SO IM INTERESTED TO KNOW IF FELLOW BEACH DETECTORIST HAVE SIMILAR THOUGHTS ON A BIGGER COIL FOR THE CTX 3030 .

us
    Feb 2012
    62 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I’d like a Bigfoot type of coil for my CTX and EQ600. I have one meant for a TDI on my gp Extreme and it’s great except not good in the water. Wonder if true of all detectors and this type of coil?

gb
    Paul Martin

Feb 2015
    England
    Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Sovereign GT with depth mod, carbon shaft, XP MI-4 Pointer
    266 times
    Quote Originally Posted by treasurehunter1957 View Post
    COULD ANY ONE TELL ME WHY THERE IS NOT A LARGE 20 INCH COIL FOR BEACH DETECTING FOR THE CTX 3030 , I MUST ADMIT IM NOT TECHNICALLY MINDED , BUT SOME BEACHES ARE LIKE SMALL DESERTS AND GROUND COVERAGE IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS DEPTH ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE TIME LIMITED DUE TO TIDES , I MYSELF USE THE CTX3030 AND FOUND IT TO BE EXCELLENT ON THE BEACH AND I HAVE HAD A REASONABLE YEAR SO FAR WITH GOLD AND PLATINUM RINGS AND COINAGE ON THE SOUTH COAST OF THE UK , SO IM INTERESTED TO KNOW IF FELLOW BEACH DETECTORIST HAVE SIMILAR THOUGHTS ON A BIGGER COIL FOR THE CTX 3030 .
    Hi mate I can't speak on the CTX but I see you have a Sov GT, why not try a bigger coil on that for the beach? I have a NEL Attack coil on mine and with the depth mod it's very deep with great coverage and on the beach it should be as good as the CTX?
    billb likes this.

us
    Aug 2020
    LI
    Equinox, Sovereign
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmartin View Post
    Hi mate I can't speak on the CTX but I see you have a Sov GT, why not try a bigger coil on that for the beach? I have a NEL Attack coil on mine and with the depth mod it's very deep with great coverage and on the beach it should be as good as the CTX?
    Hey, just wondering what the "depth mod" is for the Sovereign?

us
    Treasure Seeker, Booty Finder

Jun 2013
    NorthEast, Florida coast
    CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II, (2) E-trac's
    192 times
    There is a 17 or 18" coil for the 3030 do not remember the size off hand. I have one, but mostly use the 11" . If I want to use a BIG coil, I have a 15x18 SEF on my Excal.
    billb likes this.
    Happy Hunting, Life is what you make it.

us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    8815 times
    Larger coil? Just be mindful that there can be some significant tradeoffs when going to a larger coil, especially on highly mineralized saltwater beaches. The larger the coil the greater amount of data that has to be processed, this usually resulting in the user having to reduce machine sensitivity in order to achieve smooth operation. As a "coverage" tool the larger coil can be effective. However, one really has to consider the larger coil's performance on smaller and/or deeper items where returns can often be quite faint, thus a reduction in sensitivity in order maintain machine stability might actually come the cost of filtering out these fainter and weaker returns. I saw this all the time when I was hunting the east coast of Florida on a daily basis, the reality being that I could hunt deeper and with greater sensitivity with the stock 8" or 10" coil then I could with any of the larger coils I had in my Excal arsenal. So I eventually accepted that the larger coil, with the exception of those rare absolute perfect conditions, was a coverage tool that simply allowed me to cover more ground in search of recent drops. Larger coils can be effective but the use of them can also come a cost at the working end of the machine. Just same food for thought.......
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    33905 times
    I have been using large coils for years on salt beaches, I want use anything less than about 12" on the beach. I have used the 17" CTX 3030 on the beach and it works just fine. I own 4 excals, 2 have 15" round WOT coils, one has 12x15 coil and one has stock 10 inch coil.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Nov 25, 2020 at 03:42 PM.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

I excercise my right to keep and bear arms 24/7/365

gb
    mr

Apr 2020
    hampshire united kingdom
    12 times
    HI PAUL
    THANKS FOR THE REPLY , I MUST ADMIT NOT USED MY GT FOR WHILE AS I HAVE BEEN REALLY PLEASED WITH THE CTX , I WILL CONSIDER LOOKING AT THE NEL ATTACK COIL , JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY WHAT DO YOU FIND OUR THE BEST SETTINGS FOR THE GT ON WET SANDY BEACHES, WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR EXPERIENCE.

gb
    mr

Apr 2020
    hampshire united kingdom
    12 times
    THANS FOR THE REPLY TREASURE HUNTER AND GOOD LUCK ON THOSE FLORIDA BEACHES
    Treasure_Hunter likes this.

gb
    mr

Apr 2020
    hampshire united kingdom
    12 times
    HI AND THANKS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK , YES I DO AGREE THAT THE LARGER THE COIL THE MORE INFORMATION NEEDS TO BE PROCESSED IN THE CONTROL BOX ,BUT AS EACH GENERATION OF MINELAB MACHINES COME OUT THE PROCESSORS ARE MUCH QUICKER IN DEALING WITH INCOMING SIGNALS , ALSO THERE IS AN AUSTRALIAN TELEVSION PROGRAMME CALLED AUSSIE GOLD HUNTERS WHERE SOME DETECTORIST ARE USING MONSTER SIZED COILS AND STILL PICKING UP ON VERY SMALL FLAKES OF GOLD , ANYHOW I WILL DROP DOWN TO THE 11 INCH COIL ON THE CTX AND PERCEVERE IN GETTING TO THOSE DEEPER AND FAINTER SIGNALS , ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY AND GOOD LUCK ON THOSE FLORIDA BEACHES.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35, Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil
    1856 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I've used the 17" coil on my CTX 3030 and 15" on the Equinox 800 for 4 yrs mostly in the water but also 100s of hrs on the sand. I hunt for 4 - 7 hrs and you have to really build up stamina and muscles over time to handle those size coils on those machines. It gets even more challenging to use these bigger coils in the surf, which I also do for hrs. A 20" coil on either machine would most likely tax the shafts, particularly in water, but it would take a well fit MDer to swing larger coils for extended periods of time. I've raised more than a few eye brows over the yrs from fellow detectorist about my use of particularly the 17" coil on the CTX in the surf - a true challenge w the waves and surges. But I love the coverage. Bottom line - there is a limit to coil size in terms of optimal hunting. For extended hunts, a real large coil will wear you out, possibly before you find silver let alone gold.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Sponsored Links