Reference Threshold VS True Threshold
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree15Likes
  • 4 Post By bigscoop
  • 1 Post By FloridaSon
  • 1 Post By midalake
  • 1 Post By FloridaSon
  • 1 Post By bigscoop
  • 1 Post By billb
  • 1 Post By FloridaSon
  • 1 Post By cudamark
  • 1 Post By TheMilDetector
  • 1 Post By bigscoop
  • 1 Post By cudamark
  • 1 Post By bigscoop

Thread: Reference Threshold VS True Threshold

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
    9240 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Reference Threshold VS True Threshold

If I was still hunting those deep sandy beaches on the east coast of Florida and I was using an Equinox 800 then I'd always be in gold mode, here's why. In fact, I'm use it now in many of my freshwater lake areas for the same reasons whenever I leave the Excal at home.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

Charter Member
    us
    Dig everything!

Sep 2018
    Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de Las Nieves
    Garrett, Equinox 800
    454 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    This is an excellent demo of the differences. But, have you tried gold 2 on a salt beach? The few times I tried in dry sand the tones were unmanageable. Did not try in wet. I will try it again - if gold 2 can be tamed I see the advantage with true threshold is obvious. Thanks!
    bigscoop likes this.
    "There is something in a treasure that fastens upon a man's mind. He will pray and blaspheme and still persevere, and will curse the day he ever heard of it, and will let his last hour come upon him unawares, still believing that he missed it only by a foot..." Joseph Conrad

Charter Member

Aug 2014
    178 times
    Is this your video? I can tell you that bench air testing is not a certain reality in nature. This guy has a 6" coil on?? REALLY?

So on the beach where I hunt gold mode is worthless. It is so unstable by the time it was de-tuned I might as well be using a detector from Walmart.
    bigscoop likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dig everything!

Sep 2018
    Garrett, Equinox 800
    454 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by midalake View Post
    Is this your video? I can tell you that bench air testing is not a certain reality in nature. This guy has a 6" coil on?? REALLY?

So on the beach where I hunt gold mode is worthless. It is so unstable by the time it was de-tuned I might as well be using a detector from Walmart.
    What I thought.
    bigscoop likes this.
    "There is something in a treasure that fastens upon a man's mind. He will pray and blaspheme and still persevere, and will curse the day he ever heard of it, and will let his last hour come upon him unawares, still believing that he missed it only by a foot..." Joseph Conrad

us
    Jun 2010
    9240 times
    You'll notice in the video that I am in Gold2 mode and that I also make comment on the general inaccuracies of air testing. The video is primarily demonstrating the difference between two threshold options on the Eq 800. Yes, as with any multi frequency detector, it is going to be more unstable in saltwater environments which is why I generally wouldn't be leaving my excal at home when hunting those conditions. But in a freshwater environment the true threshold option in gold mode can provide a very distinct advantage. as for the 6" coil, for all of the same reasons why I generally get better depth and performance from the 8" on my excal then I do with the larger coils, and especially true in saltwater environments. The smaller coils provide for a smaller search field which means the processor isn't laboring as hard, which means I can typically run at a higher sensitivity setting with greater stability. You just can't cover as much surface area which translates into slower hunting. That larger coil is great for better surface coverage but when sensitivity has to be reduced in this larger search field it's not always the best option for the best depth and sensitivity. Just the nature of the beast......
    FloridaSon likes this.

us
    Bill B

Sep 2010
    Upstate NY
    Excalibur2,,silver sabre
    1523 times
    Bigscoop thanks for sharing your research well said
    bigscoop likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dig everything!

Sep 2018
    Garrett, Equinox 800
    454 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Yes, thank you for doing all this.
    bigscoop likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9723 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Any particular reason you used Gold 2 instead of Gold 1?
    bigscoop likes this.
    "​Jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Jun 2010
    9240 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Any particular reason you used Gold 2 instead of Gold 1?
    Not really, other then Gold 2 having a slower default recovery speed, which is what I wanted to start with during the initial mode selection process.

us
    Get Out And Dig!

Aug 2017
    Milwaukee WI
    -Minelab Equnox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
    1795 times
    Just curious. You were in 50 tone in both modes correct? How come the tone changed with depth in gold mode?
    bigscoop likes this.
    My METAL DETECTOR is actually a TIME MACHINE

us
    Jun 2010
    9240 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMilDetector View Post
    Just curious. You were in 50 tone in both modes correct? How come the tone changed with depth in gold mode?
    I was in 5 tone in the Park2 mode. The Gold Mode, however, only provides a single tone option.
    TheMilDetector likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9723 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Gold modes use VCO where the tone gets higher in pitch the closer you get to the target......similar to some pin point features on many machines.
    bigscoop likes this.
    "​Jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Jun 2010
    9240 times
    You probably won't like the VCO that cudamark is referencing but it can provide you with some additional, but limited, information once you get familiar with it. Pitch/volume plus how wide or narrow the return is can also offer clues as to how deep or how large a target might be. Per example, a high narrow return is generally a small shallow target, whereas a broader fainter return is likely to be a larger and deeper target, etc. it just takes some getting use to.
    FloridaSon likes this.

Sponsored Links