Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well we got the whole crew together to dig our site on Redington Beach Sat. night. We got down 4 1/2 feet before we were stopped by incoming water. Even though we had pumps and a coffer dam we couldn't get down deeper. One of our crew reached down with his hand and brought up what looks like a silver coin.
R Beach1.JPG

Here you can see our pumps and the plywood coffer dam.
R Beach5.JPG

This is the deepest we got:

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
- I kept digging a few times and it was always an aluminum can or slaw. But regarding the dig - HOW COOL AND WISH I WAS THERE!!!

I'm not a Big Beach Hunter, But when I Did at atlantic city I would sometimes spend what seemed like Forever trying to locate the target even with a garrett probe.
one time I was taking so long a homeless person/kid ?/Female ? sauntered up to watch out of Curiosity. and Yes, it was a Flattened can.
After Sweating my arse off on that , I leaned at coin beach not to keep digging When it goes Beyond reasonable Depth in sand

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a Big Beach Hunter, But when I Did at atlantic city I would sometimes spend what seemed like Forever trying to locate the target even with a garrett probe.
one time I was taking so long a homeless person/kid ?/Female ? sauntered up to watch out of Curiosity. and Yes, it was a Flattened can.
After Sweating my arse off on that , I leaned and coin beach not to keep digging When it goes Beyond reasonable Depth in sand

***ARC chuckles***

:)

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PetePocket, you are right that I have dug little on the beach but I have dug sand below water line with a curb/coffer. It's hard to imagine me walking away from a target that I had real confidence in. Especially if a silver came out.

Maybe it was impossible but it seems to me lowering the coffer another ft would have made a few more inches possible. I wasnt there though so I could be wrong.

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PetePocket, you are right that I have dug little on the beach but I have dug sand below water line with a curb/coffer. It's hard to imagine me walking away from a target that I had real confidence in. Especially if a silver came out.

Maybe it was impossible but it seems to me lowering the coffer another ft would have made a few more inches possible. I wasnt there though so I could be wrong.

I have had targets in the wave zone that kept eluding me no matter how frantically I bailed the sand out of the hole. It's beyond frustrating to know "It's Right There" and just out of reach! :BangHead:

From what I understand, a lot of the issues have to do with the microscopic shape of the sand and the water only exacerbates the problems.
Motorist at Daytona have had their share of mishaps. I remember someone describing an RV owner trying to get the perfect reflection of their RV in the incoming waves. Once the water hit the tires it was all over. Ouch.
DaytonaSandTrap.jpg

Getting the cofferdam lower probably requires a second or third interior layer, sort of like a collapsible camping cup. I posted this diagram before of how I thought a plywood cofferdam might work.
CrossSection.JPG

On a side note:
I had the "pleasure" of digging 24 holes (30" diameter x 7') last year for a beachside dune crossover. I actually only had to dig to about 4' deep, which is where the water table was. After that, it was useless to dig and we jetted them in the rest of the way with an extension on a pressure washer hose. Once the water started coming in the sand turned to quicksand and the water jet worked wonders to liquefy everything while we placed the 8x8 timbers exactly where we wanted them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread