What Kind of Sand Scoop Do You Use and Where Did You Get It?

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has probably been asked before but I'm curious. I was going to order one but couldn't decide and waited too long before our Florida trip. Would have been nice to have down there. My carrot pinpointer didn't work in salt water so I stuck to the dry sand.

Anyways we have lots of beaches on Lake Michigan and inland too. Some very sandy and others pretty rocky. Looking for one that would work on both hopefully.

So what do you use? Where is it from? How much was it? Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a variety of scoops when water and beach hunting, everything from the larger buckets to mid-sized buckets. However, you referenced gravel and rocky bottoms and none of those commercial scoops are going to fair very well in those environments. So, might i suggest that you make your own like we do, also being freshwater beach and water hunters in Michigan and elsewhere. Yes, you'll need to either have access to a drill press and welder or know someone who does but the end result is well worth the effort. Here is a pic of those home made scoops, note the serrated lip and miller style looped handle that allow you to twist and turn the bucket in order to displace the gravel and rocks. This style handle also allows for balance and leverage when handling a loaded scoop. We use galvanized stove pipe and 3/8" galvanized pipe for our scoops but black pipe will work just as well and they will last forever with little weigh.
sc1.jpg sc2.jpg

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nokta Makro

This is what I bought, Nokta Makro. Expensive but adjustable. Put any handle in it and tighten it down.
sand scoop.jpg
Handle was sold separately but only about 15 bucks.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I have 4 different scoops I use. The 920ix X-treme I just got this spring, a Dalyn travel scoop, a Riley’s 5” travel scoop and the Indiana beach scoop. All work great but I love the 920 the best. It’s a beast. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1621701112.739837.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1621701120.837811.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1621701131.521107.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1621701141.021346.jpg

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stealth scoops from SunSpot, or Extreme Scoops. They're pricey though....My 920i with a carbon fiber handle and lift assist was around $450 delivered.

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Trex. Strong enough for in the rocks sifts through the sand and captures the smalll earrings.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTG LONG HANDLE 2 PIECE TRAVEL MODEL - it will fit in most large suitcases
attachment.php

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments. Wow some of those get expensive. I think im going to lean towards the Indiana style ones. I've found some for around $80 bucks. I'll use that for the sandy spots. I do have access to a drill press and welder at work so I plan on making one for rocky conditions. Thanks again and happy hunting.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PortATXHunter

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2021
Port Aransas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
First, I sincerely respect the fact that everyone can't go out and buy a $400 scoop. I am also NOT doubting your ability to make your own.

Your scoop is arguably the single most important item for success (other than proper detector selection) in beach and shallow water hunting...allows you to dig efficiently and recover more targets = better chance of success. If you hunt a lot you will be frustrated with a low quality or weakly designed scoop. I probably did upwards of 100 targets in a 3-4 hour span. Current scoop designs have evolved over the last several years and are made by folks that have actually used them. Why waste your valuable time (which is more valuable to me than money) to reinvent the wheel? I would do my best to save up for a quality scoop by Sunspot or Extreme (there may be others like STAVR TREX, etc. but I don't have any experience with them).

Carbon fiber handles are lighter and stronger and worth the price. I had an ash handle which is OK for dry sand. In wet sand wood bends like crazy and you have to baby them. You could get away with it in a lake or in an area where you don't have to rush to retrieve your target like the surf. The "hex" style holes arguably drain sand faster. I would personally choose 316 or 304 stainless steel (but maybe doesn't matter as much in a non-salt environment). Personally, I don't see the advantage in weight savings vs. cost of titanium...however if you have had an injury or lack strong upper body strength titanium could be a difference maker.

Make sure you get a scoop with hole size that is compatible with the size targets you are seeking. Nothing more frustrating that having a target continue to go through the holes in the water. I prefer the 920-IX or the 720 IX scoops. The shallower and wider mouth of the 920 digs well in the surf where I am with a sand and shell bottom. I have the 920-IX hybrid hybrid (for small targets like earrings) and also the 920-IX hybrid. I have close to $400 and it would not be worth it to me to hunt without a similar setup. The high price of a scoop is part of the price of success.

Sorry for the rambling. Just my thoughts based on my limited experience digging the Texas Gulf Coast beaches and bays. Best of luck whichever way you go!

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My carrot pinpointer didn't work in salt water so I stuck to the dry sand.

The Carrots are great in salt water! Did you ground balance it? To do this, turn it on when it's in the water and it will balance/tune itself to work great. I use mine often in salt water without issue.

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well said and Welcome to T-Net from Florida's Beautiful East Coast!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My big Sunspot scoop 8" x 11"....and my smaller one 6 1/2" x 9" with a custom looped handle. The looped handle is a real pleasure to use.
DSCN3817.jpg

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My big Sunspot scoop 8" x 11"....and my smaller one 6 1/2" x 9" with a custom looped handle. The looped handle is a real pleasure to use.
View attachment 1927677

One thing to consider, well two.

Stainless and if Aluminum a stainless lip is a must.

So not picking on poster big scoop but just commenting on the scoops in the picture. Consider how rough the beach will be where your hunting. The scoops above will not fair well in rough conditions. Targets will get knocked out, a lot. Scoops with more basket will hold targets better in rough water.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I went with the Stealth 920ix - pricey for the scoop but an absolute beast.

But for a handle, I went to Lowe's Hardware and picked up a post hole digger handle. Cheap, and floats upright in the water - where I just have to reach out and grab the handle and on to the next target.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the continued comments everyone. I completly forgot I have a cheap aluminum one that was gifted to me. I bent it good the first time I used it in very hard sand.. oops. I still plan on buying a little bit better one however I'm not going to give up hunting on land. Since I have access to a welder and drill press Im in the process of making one. We had a stainless exhaust resonater in the scrap pile that is 1.5 mm thick and 5 inches in diameter. Also have some conduit I can use for the handle. About what size holes should I drill? I assume more smaller holes would be better? I'll post some pics when Im done. Thanks again every one.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd drill 1/2" holes in the main section, and drill 1/8" holes in the lower rear sections to catch stud earrings and other tiny targets. A lot will depend on what kind of sand you have. Real coarse sand and you may have to change the 1/8" holes to something slightly larger in diameter.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So im almost done with the scoop portion. I drilled a little bit bigger than 1/8th for all the holes. Not sure of the size, it just was what was on the drill press already. Im terrible at making them look good but they will still function. The barrel and the butt end are welded together now. I guess I'll make the barrel section holes a little bigger. Will post pics tomorrow!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to consider, well two.

Stainless and if Aluminum a stainless lip is a must.

So not picking on poster big scoop but just commenting on the scoops in the picture. Consider how rough the beach will be where your hunting. The scoops above will not fair well in rough conditions. Targets will get knocked out, a lot. Scoops with more basket will hold targets better in rough water.

I used the bigger 90 degree scoop in the surf and soft deep sands because I could recover more easily with no washout issues, unlike the offset scoops. The looped handle scoop is the all around bomb of scoops, perfect for just about any situation. Both buckets are stainless but I have also used 8" galvanized stove pipe with no issues whatsoever. For rocky areas I also have a scoop with a serrated lip to help displace the gravel and stone, also on a looped handle for added leverage and balance, also of 8" galvanized stove pipe. I've probably bought or built or modified a couple dozen scoops, or more over the years and the one thing I learned is that there is no perfect scoop but the ones with the looped handle and 90 degree bucket come as close to perfect as it gets. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread