what beach on TV?: FL: Best places to find treasure

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
I believe that was over around Sebastian and Vero. That museum is near Turtle Beach, I think, but a lot of that is still a mess from the hurricanes last year. PM wreckdiver I think he's over in that area.

HH

cobra

Nov 8, 2004
The beach in question is the beach at the McLarty Treasure Museum, on A1A about 2 miles south of the Sebastian Inlet bridge. Cool show, huh!

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
I believe the McLarty museum is in Wabasso beach. Also know that they are still going through a beach restoration program from I think Ft. Pierce north. Where's Rod when you need him? He is very knowledgeable in that area.

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
Surfrat is right McLarty museum is south of Sebastian inlet on A1A and north of Wabasso beach.
Over the next couple of years you will notice that some of our beaches are going to get larger. Below describes the project and the length of shoreline to be restored.

Sebastian/Amberson? 2.5 miles? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Completed

Wabasso? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 2.0 miles? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?winter 2006/2007

Vero? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?2.0 miles? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? winter 2008/2009

South County? ? ? ? ? ?1.5 miles? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?winter 2004/2005

You can visit www.ircgov.com? for Indian county updates

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Did someone say beach destruction? Interesting article in Stuart paper about lotsa public discussion about method of "renourishment". People are finally realizing that the sources of material are indeed alien to the beach system and detrimental to the longterm beach ecosystem. Write yer congressman (congressperson) and complain. E-mail county administrators and complain. Much material was indeed trucked from inland sources...these sources contained particles that form a concretious(sp) berm that actually erodes in the rain. Sea turtles probably can't dig in some of it. It certainly destroys OUR hobby. As for the treasure beach mentioned, some of it (Corrigans) has already been destroyed. There was a post here (shipwreck maybe) about New Smyrna digging up and destroying a master site file listed shipwreck. Idiots. All in the name of good intentions. The road to helll is paved with good intentions.

jsturg

Mar 18, 2005
Eldersburg, MD
Detector(s) used
Brain
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Ellen,

I saw that episode. It was pretty good. If I remember right, much of that show was done at what's known as the Cabin wreck. If you do a Google search for 1715 fleet, you'll find lots of info and specifics. There is also a Mel Fisher museum in the Sebastian area; in addition to the Mclarty museum that is on the site of the 1715 salvage camp. The Cabin wreck is just a few hundred yards to the South of McLarty's.

I saw your other post on Key West. I've been there several times and I don't know of any place to rent a detector in the area. There are only a few beach areas there. Most, if not all of the Florida Keys are within the Florida Keys Marine Sanctuary. I'm not sure if detecting is allowed in the FKMS or not. The Dry Tortugas should be outside of FKMS and you may be ok there. Key West is a great town. If you've never been there, check out the Mel Fisher treasure museum there (they have a great Atocha exhibit)...and the shipwreck museum...and the Wyland Galleries...and check out the view from the lighthouse...and try Kelly (Top Gun) Mcgillis's restaraunt.....

Also, if you go to http://www.melfisher.com, they have a bulletin board on their website. You can probably get accurate and reliable info on detecting in the Key West area from there.

Have fun,
Jeff

OP
OP
F

Findloot

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it. I can't wait to go. We probably won't dive BUT will definitely snorkel.
Ellen ;D

PS) ANY other shipwrecks out there besides the ATOCHA?

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what happens when the state lets cities handle the beach after hurricanes erode it and leave debris all over.

http://65.33.85.140:81/3rdaveshipwreck/wreck.html

bill is right,they are all idiots,pumping more sand on the beach isnt gonna help anything,next big storm or storms,its all gonna wash away,they should have let anyone build on the beach in the first place.they need to make a fl state law,that if your house or building gets destroyed or is un livable,that you can not rebuild it.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billinstuart and Fisheye, you are both so correct on this. It is a tragedy what they are doing to the beach. The silver lining (no pun intended), is that all this so called restoration has to end next weekend for the start of turtle nesting season. Then we let Mother Nature fix the beaches. I am sure that the new dunes will not last with the severe lack of vegetation. I hear the UN brokered a deal for the state and got a good price on sand from Iraq, Would that be the ?Outrageously Priced Oil for Sand Program? LOL

And while I am thinking about it, why does the state not take some of the vast amounts of it?s 20% share of the treasure that it collects each year from the Spanish wrecks in Florida waters (in the hundreds of Millions I am sure), that is just sitting and rotting in the old jail house up in Tallahassee, sell some of it off to finance the recovery and preservation of the 3rd avenue wreck, or any of the other numerous wrecks that have been found to date.

Q

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wreckdiver,
im sure that 20% of the treasure that fl state got is long gone by now,proof is the Mclarty museum,theres not one piece of treasure in there thats real,its all reproductions,i asked why when i was there,they said cause they got broken into an some got stolen but it was recovered,havent they ever herd of a alarm system?or round the clock security guards?i sure would like to see some real treasure an not have to travel all the way to talahassel,but under the freedom of information act that our gov has,im sure if someone wants to persue this,it would be interesting to find out where all this treasure really is or has gone.its all well documented.im willing to bet that the state cant account for more then 75% of it.is some of it sitting on the gov's desk or in private collections of past and present state archies?or pilferd an plundered?maybe traded to spain for bribes?who knows,but im sure the state wouldnt want to sell any off to fund the conservation of the 3rd ave wreck thats not there anymore,maybe its because there never was any treasure there.oil for sand?you mean our oil in iraq? that was paid for by the blood of our troops,we should just take thier dam oil an thier sand,take all thier treasure too,they dont need it.pull out of iraq an let them fight off the insurgents themselves,then when they cant do it,we drop the nukes.then we have a new parking lot for our oil wells.

Mitch1FL

Oct 6, 2004
Sebastian, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI1500/AT-Pro/Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was that the episode with the guy in the water with an Minelab Excalibur? I wonder who that was?? ....? ;)

Mitch King
Vice President, Treasure Coast Archeological Society

Skipper

Apr 25, 2005
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
I just saw the episode on the travel channel today....It was number 2 on the count down of best places to find treasure. Tom Gidus was the guy who found the coins and an old bottle. Is this the one you're talking about?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Skipper, yeah that was me on the Travel Channel episode. It gets a lot of airplay in re-runs. Don't get me started on the beach renourisment projects. The local governments, Army Corp of Engineers and anybody else asscoiated with this boondoggle are total idiots. I wish the media would get more invloved in this incredible waste of taxpayer dollars-all for a few beachfront homeowners really. The goverment (dept of interior?) should stop spending money on beach renourisment projects and instead buy out the homeowners and make the barrier island one big park. Wait a minute, forget that-the first thing they would do is outlaw metal detecting!
Regards, Tom G.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
News article today said that findings indicate that the material trucked to St. Lucie beaches is NOT compatible beach material.? Well, duh!? It seems they may make the contractor (Dickerson) actually REMOVE the crap after turkle season. Someone should be FIRED over this...'course the beurocrats..bureocrats..government slugs are never held responsible for their actions, and the contractor will probably pay someone off.? As I find out info I will post it here so we can e-mail effectively the responsive parties.? Of course the Corps of Engineers is involved..the same group that did such wonderful work on the Everglades and Lake Okechobee.? Surely someone at the sate level reviewed the process?? In our county (Martin) work is supervised by county engineering, the head of which is an FIT graduate in Oceanography.? And I always thought I was the worst FIT Oceanography graduate. Whew...next to last.
BTW, has anyone done any detecting in the shallow longshore sloughs along the beach at low tide, particularly ajacent to known shipwreck areas

Bill

Skipper

Apr 25, 2005
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
One would think that if the beaches need replenishment, all that sand was distributed out on the reefs along the wreck sites, possibly burying all artifacts for years to come. Of course I hope I'm wrong. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread