floating sifter

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My sifter serves two purposes, first, it is easier too spot a goodie in a larger area and second it serves a a safety float.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that with the better scoops a sifter isn't needed. It is something else to carry to the water and back. They are hard to control in the surf or waves. Kids have fast hands and are curious about what is in your floating sifter. It also draws more attention to yourself and if you decide to search the dry sand you are stuck with an extra amount of labor to carry it.

The only benefit that it might have is to float your scoop, but you waste more time setting it on the float and taking it off for each target. I just drag the scoop along the bottom where it marks where I've been.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it is personal preference. I prefer not to use one because I haven't really had the need for it. The area that I hunt has lots of shells mixed into the sand and most of these would collect in the sifter anyway. I would end up with a floating shell collection. Maybe if I were in a really calm area where there was nothing but sandy bottom, I might try one. Sandman has a good point also about carrying things to the beach from the car. If your walk is not a long one, that could help but my walks to the beach are about 1/8th of a mile from the parking area and I try not to carry too much stuff. I had a moron try to steal my equipment in broad daylight from the beach last year so I started only taking my detector and scoop to the water. When I take a break, I go to my car and take the break where I can sit, listen to music and leave the beach for a little while. I can change coils, headphones, etc., during that time if I need to make an adjustment then go back to the water.

Again, I know that some folks love the floating sifter. I just prefer not to use one.

Good luck!

Jim

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Its up to the individual. I've used them for over 20 years. When you hunt the shallow areas in the Gulf of Mexico, the targets are mixed in with the broken shells, a sifter makes it easier to retrieve a target. For targets that fall through the screen mesh, I use a old colander to weed out split shot and buckshot.
I built mine out of 1" X 4" pine boards and use a spaghetti float for flotation, cut and tied in place or a Garrett screenerwith a spaghetti float tied around it. Sure I get kids looking in my box, but I have already taken the clad coins out and jewlery. I leave the pennies and the shells. You will be suprised at the amount of broken jagged glass you find mixed in with the shells.
If the surf is rough, the sifter stays in the car but lakes and calm surf conditions and you'll see me out there. It's tied to my waist by a long cord so in case I drown, its easier to find the body, lol. ;D

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
It's tied to my waist by a long cord so in case I drown, its easier to find the body, lol. Grin
That's actually not a bad idea as funny as it sounds......

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
I think it depends on the bottom conditions and depth. I do not have to use a floating screen when working a lake with clear water and sand bottom. However, on a salt water beach with clam shells, murky water, mud or clay bottom the screen cut down on time. Its just faster to get the target into the screen and ilolate it. Remember with detecting its all about %. Whoever digs the most targets has a better shot and finding the gold.

Check out http://www.aquaexplorers.com/metaldetectingshallowwater.htm

Capt. Dan Berg

Attachments

• floatingscreen.jpg
    floatingscreen.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,231

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
wouldn't go without it!

use it to carry the scoop in the water sure takes a load off, also carry vibra probe, mesh trash bag & drinking water on it. spend alot more time looking for targets in bottom instead of bottom of scoop I agree with Capt.Dan on the % thing. use the scoop to carry the sifter to the water so its no harder than putting the scoop on your shoulder. use a vibra probe when there are lots of shells, gravel, etc to speed up recovery time. sifter isn't really a problem in any wave that you can stand up in and can be used as an emergency float.

it is a pain if you change your mind and want to hunt the dry stuff. and need to get targets out around children b4 they do!

this of course is my opinion.

hh steve

Attachments

• straight handled scoop with sifter on shoulder resized.jpg
    straight handled scoop with sifter on shoulder resized.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 567
  • scoop, sifter & vibra probe resized.jpg
    scoop, sifter & vibra probe resized.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,574
  • sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 608
  • straight handled scoop with sifter on shoulder resized.jpg
    straight handled scoop with sifter on shoulder resized.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 421
  • scoop, sifter & vibra probe resized.jpg
    scoop, sifter & vibra probe resized.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 567
  • sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 426
OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool sifter kappy,make it yourself or did ya buy it?if ya made it,how'd ya do it?

Chi Town Bruce

Nov 4, 2006
bomber, you don't need one here. Chicago beach bottoms are excellent for looting.
no shells, no rocks, no mud, no hooks or sinkers.
Just GOLD mate just GOLD! ;D

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but bruce,it just looks so cool

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
My daughter and i like to use a sifter. I will find a target, scoop it and empty the scoop into the sifter. I can concentrate on more targets while she looks for the target. We make our own out of swimming pool noodles (some all them floaties) and 1/4 inch hardware mesh and 8 12 inch cable straps. We make a slice down the length of the noodle, then make some V cuts into the noodle. Insert the wire which has been cut into a 15 inch square inside the slice and "fold" the noodle around making sure the wire goes all the way in.

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 804

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread