Beach Hunting Sand Basket

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Hi Everyone!

I just want to say that I am living vicariously through you as I suffer through the winter in UpState New York. Oh, how I miss the South and the warmer weather and all the chances to go out and do some hunting with my friends. Got started in this hobby last Fall and truly became addicted to the hobby and I love to dig for everything.

What I am hoping to do is come this Spring/Summer give my hobby a try at the beach and see what I find. Now with that in mind, I cannot believe the cost of these "Beach Hunting Sand Baskets", I can see the need for them as they will save me the wear and tear on my back...but dont gouge my wallet so much. Does anyone know a way I can make my own? The average cost is around 85 bucks before taxes and this is some information I pulled off the internet on one of these devices.

Side Note: I was told by one guy that he uses shower caps for protection on his coils and that they work find.

All of our baskets are made from heavy gauge welded mesh steel. We found that the "mesh" design is far superior to the "punched out hole" design in allowing sand - even wet-packed sand - to filter through the basket and retain the coins and rings. The cutting lip cap and bottom rim are brazed to the handle and its strong cutting edge penetrates wet sand. We also make a "Convertible Twin" which sports interchangeable handles, a 10" and a 28". The "big daddy" is the "Super-Pro" with welded supports to allow foot pressure on the basket. It's fully braced and has a 40" detachable handle designed for use in the surf or wading lakes.

Appreciate the feedback and Have a great time hunting.
Sincerely,
Southern_Boy

Upvote 0

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Yeah, I've looked at that too, and I can't decide if I'm just "cheap" or
wise enough to know when I'm being ripped off.

What I did was stroll the aisles of a dollar store and I came up with
six different ways to improvise one using wire baskets, plastic bins,
collendars (spaghetti strainers), and all sorts of other things.
CHEAPEST is to just make one using hardware-store wire mesh,
PVC piping. I tried it first with duct tape and "moved up" by
using metal basket and machine screws to connect it to a
3/4-inch PVC pipe. The proximal end you add an elbow connector
for a handle, and "Voila"

OP
OP
Southern_Boy

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Hi UncleVinnys:

I am really looking forward to the summer where I can try my skills out on a few beaches. I can see the value of having one of those scoops but the price is way too high for me. I have the day off and I will do a little checking at my local hardware stores to see what I can find. My dad still has a shop down south and I am hoping he will make one for me. Either way I will let you know if I can find a cheaper and better way to make one.

Sincerely,
Southern_Boy

Ollieboy

Nov 3, 2006
America's home town
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes Tiger Shark w/clean sweep
Hi Southern Boy i am also from the N. East and can't wait for the warm weather. Anyhow i just purchased a short handle Aluminum scoop for Kellyco for $39 bucks, and when i get it, "which is sopposed to be today", my son is going to cut off the short handle , reinforce and weld me on a long handle. Its a 12"pro aluminum scoop short handle and there long handle has the same bucket and cost $112 bucks. I'll let ya know how it turns out. I try to take some before and after pics.
Ollieboy

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whites has a cheap one...

HH
-GC

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on where you hunt but I would suggest going ahead and getting a good one from a reputable maker or company. Same reason you bought that nice detector. You just won't be happy with a cheap one. If you are going to be sifting through dry beach sand only, then the wire type would probably do you. If there is a lot of shells, gravel and rock in the area, you need something stronger. My scoop cost me 129.00 and I have been happy with it but I am looking to upgrade to a 200.00 model before long. The right tool for the right job and all that.

If you can make your own, I would do that. I know some folks have that talent. You have to ask yourself how much your time is worth. Five to eight hours of my time is worth well more than 89 bucks or so.

There are some other posts in Beach and Shallow Water that will help you decide. Scroll down the lists of posts there and you will see some great posts about scoops.

Jim

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
I guess it depends on how you look at it. It does'nt take much clad to pay for a scoop. I have to and they both have paid for their self several times over. That does'nt include the ring I found last summer that the pawn shop said they would give me $400 . For the record a it killed me to pay for my first scoop (roughly $35). I'm just giving examples, I don't sell anything I find. the thrill of the find is my profit........

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first scoop cost me $45 plus tax and I broke the handle with in a month. Next scoop was $70 (Zeke Scoop), still have it, it is my backup/loaner, my main scoop I paid $100 used (Beach Brute)........I am always looking for deals on used equipment, if I find another scoop used and its a good deal I will snap it up. I missed a used Beach Brute II for $110 by about 30 mins last summer.

Ollieboy

Nov 3, 2006
America's home town
Detector(s) used
Southern Boy here's the before and after pics of the $39 short handle scoop i had my son modify. It only took him about 15 minutes to do and it's awesome. It had three hours of rocky beach hunting this morning before i took these pics. He used 1" i.d. pipe and added 3/16 plate to the bucket, came out really rugged. If you can weld aluminum its a cheep way out. Good hunting!
Ollieboy

Attachments

• as bought scoop.jpg
    as bought scoop.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 527
  • modified.jpg
    modified.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 549
  • bottom view.jpg
    bottom view.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 564

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can make a cheap scoop out of plastic bottles, they will work in dry sand but will not work in wet sand. If you can weld then you can make yourself a good one, otherwise you are stuck like the rest of us and have to purchase one.

My advise if you want to hunt the beach, best chances for jewelry is usually in the wet sand and in the surf, not always, but usually. Buy a good scoop, if you dont want to spend the money on a new one look for used, they are around if you keep your eye open, I have bought 2 used that are great, but they were not cheap even used ($70 and $100).

If you buy a cheap scoop, that is what you will end up with, a "cheap scoop" and it will break on you. Murphy's law your going to be a mile from your car when it breaks, and I'm speaking from experience. I thought $50 was a good scoop. WRONG.

I can make a chair, but it's not going to be comfortable to sit in, I can make a golf club, but it's not going to work very good. In this hobby you usually get what you pay for.

As far as the shower cap for coils, the only thing they are doing is keeping dirt and grass stains off the coils, beyond that they are not protecting the coil from anything at all, well maybe from a little dew... If you don't use a coil cover or cover yourcoil in epoxy or truckbed liner your going to crack the coil sooner or later.

Ollieboy that is a nice looking scoop you made there.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just got one today on e*** for 50,00 un used beach master II, for dry sand .. I got the cheapies they lasted 2 weeks in the garbage the went broken . Don't try and make one ,,, been there done that 1 week GARBAGE CAN . I have a RTG A 4 FOOT handled allum beach scoop 90.00 works like a champ. had it now for 4 months and I use 5 times a week still looks new,, Hh guzz1

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upstate NY here too and I am heading to the beach next weekend down in Jersey. Can't wait any longer. Don't know what to expect but, got a couple days off and figured I would "look" around. I have a couple plastic hand baskets but, looking for a long handle scoop. Pricey....

T

TreasurdiggrNY

JoeSWFF said:
Upstate NY here too and I am heading to the beach next weekend down in Jersey. Can't wait any longer. Don't know what to expect but, got a couple days off and figured I would "look" around. I have a couple plastic hand baskets but, looking for a long handle scoop. Pricey....

Joe,
It's just so much easier with a long handled scoop in and out of the water. One good piece of jewelry and the scoop is paid for. Good Luck.
Glenn

Ollieboy

Nov 3, 2006
America's home town
Detector(s) used
Joe you should do as i did. Wasn't sure if beach hunting was my thing at first, so i bought a cheap galvanized scoop which incidentally lasted only 3 weeks of light hunting before i had to repair it. Anyway it just makes it so much more enjoyable and to make a long story short i found so much jewelery that i can now buy any scoop i want. The main point is to enjoy yourselfand my opinion is that bending over every two minutes is not too enjoyable.
Good Enjoyable Hunting to you.
Ollieboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread