Questions about using a Shooter Coil on Beach and MXT on beach in general

fllawboy

Feb 19, 2008
Weston, Florida
Detector(s) used
White MXT/Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am using an MXT to beach hunt down here in South Florida. I have had some success so far, but was wondering if I would improve my luck if I used a shooter coil, such as the 4x6 DD. I have only used it in my back yard and was impressed on how well it separated trash from coins. I was wondering what result there would be on beach. I know it is a very small coil, but the separation in my test in the back yard was impressive. I went over an area that I have previously swept with the stock 950 coil, 6x10 DD, and the 12' Spider. I thought I had cleaned out the area of all the good stuff. When I went through with the shooter I found coins in very heavy iron and foil. I found a Quarter that was at least 6 1/2 to 7 inches deep and was next to a nail. I found a penny that was under a piece of foil at about 4-5" deep.

When I beach hunt I primarily use my 6X10DD or 12" spider. I have not used the stock 950 coil since I got the 6x10. All of my rings to date (3: 2gold 1 Silver) have been found with the 6x10. I have found a lot of coins with my 12" Spider. I really like how both coils perform at the beach. The only thing I have not been able to find with either of them so far are gold chains, earrings etc. I know they are out there.

I was wondering if the 4x6 would give me a better chance of locating these items in trashy beach areas. The areas that I am hunting are full of pull tabs, bottle caps, and iron. I dig everything that comes up pull-tabs, but sometimes I do not dig the foil only signals, is that a mistake?

Last time I went out I found 1 gold ring, which registered as a ring on VDI and 120 pulltabs. I don't mind digging, but if I dug the foil only signals I would have to carry a garbage can with me. Will the smaller footprint of the 4x6 would do better in the wet sand and along the surf with wave action?

I have been using the Salt Mode in the wet sand areas and the Ground mode in the dry sand areas. I have noticed when trying to ground balance in the sand (wet or Dry) i get foil readings as I am ground balancing and it is difficult to locate an area where no readings occur so that I can ground balance properly. I have lowered the gain to around 8 and this issue seems to resolve it self. Lately, with the 6x10 I have been able to increase my gain to +2 and have had some good result. I do notice on occasion if the coil is in the water and there is wave action it does false.

Lastly, has any one used the Prospecting Mode or Relic Mode on the beach? Was it better than the Coin/Jewelry Mode?

I know this was long winded, but any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you noticed the smaller coil seems to work miracles in trashy areas and this would work on the beach too providing you are willing to give up some depth. Most of us only use the larger coils because of the extra depth where objects can sink farther in the sand and the extra amount of ground coverage.

Your coil falses in the waves near shore because of the saltwater and extra black sand present there. By passing up all the foil signals you could be missing the gold chains and thin white gold rings that usually have stones. However there could also be a lot of foil at the beach too, but the digging is easy. It wouldn't hurt to scoop some of these to see what it really is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread