Magnets and water scoops

F

fishercz20

Ive noticed some people have said to put a magnet on the bottom of their water scoop. Do you mean on the inside of the scoop or the actual underneath bottom? Do you tie it with something special and what size magnet do you use? Who sells big magnets anyway? I also paint the Head of the scoop White to help me direct it to the foot area underwater.

thx Fishercz20

Upvote 0

Wayne from Maine

Mar 22, 2005
Portland Maine
I use a little gorilla glue. You do not need big magnets as you can see in the picture I glue mine in the back. On my "Zeke" scoop I have placed the magnet in a diffirant place. I had't cleaned the magnets off in the picture and the dark area in the corners is small iron "sand" I also spray paint it orange to make it easier to see finds.

Attachments

• scoop a.jpg
    scoop a.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 303

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Ive always wondered whats the purpose of the magnet? Sure it will grab nails and such.......what else?

Thanks for the plug Wayne ;D

Oh Yeah....................................^^^^^ not a Zeke scoop ;D

Wayne from Maine

Mar 22, 2005
Portland Maine
Certainly not a "a Zeke scoop" I'll take a photo of it to show how I placed the magnets.

You would be suprised how well the magnets catch those pesky little pieces of nail bobbie pin and othe iron that can slip sliently through the holes.

N

nutso

I went to lowes and bought a pack of four round disk magnets about an inch in diameter. I used waterproof construction glue and placed them in the very center, one inside, one outside on the bottom of the scoop. The bottom one is handy for sliding over the area especailly the sand you just sifted to pick up any small pieces of iron when the signal disapears from the hole. When I'm on land I carry a telescoping rod magnet to poke through the dirt and the hole. The tip folds and it carries nicley tucked under my belt.

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o Magnets in the scoop......... Why didn't I think of that........ That's a great Idea. I've always had trouble with those small metallic piece falling through. I'm going to modify my scoop right now.......Thanks for the info................

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The BEST magnet to use is the "Magnetic strip" that you can buy at your local hardware store, and cut to the size you need, plus,

they're flat, light, and do not come off.

I glue them to the bottom, and sides in the scoop.

HH

Lonewolfe

Wayne from Maine

Mar 22, 2005
Portland Maine
lonewolfe said:
The BEST magnet to use is the "Magnetic strip" that you can buy at your local hardware store, and cut to the size you need, plus,

they're flat, light, and do not come off.

I glue them to the bottom, and sides in the scoop.

HH

Lonewolfe

I tried those, they fit well but don't last as long and were a pain to remove.

Wayne from Maine

Mar 22, 2005
Portland Maine
This is my Zeke scoop with magnets and paint job. This is a great beach scoop. At 2 lbs It sure beat the 6lbs of my other one. It is well made and I expect it will out last me. ;D

Attachments

• scoop.zeke.jpg
    scoop.zeke.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 269

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S o t h i s i s w h a t I n e e d ! I was wondering why my signal would disapear sometimes.....But then again,,I am a lousy beach hunter ! Thanks for the helpful info .

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've also heard that it can pick up the needles and stuff before they poke you. I've heard of non-beach hunters putting magnets on their cutting tools too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread