delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
90 looks a not a peep from anyone? --geez youse a tight lipped bunch -- Ivan

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'll be the first...........cool pics buddy,thanks for posting them,i finally get to see a gold budda

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nick youse ain't right --ask uncle vinny he knows -- peeps --- LOL

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
Re: - massive gold covered buddha statue in the jungle -plus wrecked PBY on bea

I know a guy who owned a PBY about 5 years ago. My mom got to walk around in it, I was in college at the time so I didnt get to walk through it. He did take us up in his Albatross though. What were you doin in Indonesia?

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I was merchant seaman --working for energy transportation corperation (ETC) on US flagged LNG vessel the LNG VIRGO (liquidified natural gas) tanker --we used to get LNG gas in indonesia and transport it to japan for use by the japenese. this was in in 1980 /81 -- most folks don't know that indonesia used to be mainly buddhist before the arabic spice traders and the muslim religion arrived --there are many old abandon buddudist temples in the mountions --- today however most of indonesia is muslim --also the (muslim) moro people of the phillipines come from a breeding by the local women with arabic spice traders --they are much larger and stronger than "normal" folks from the phillipines --and are strongly muslim --the 1911 colt 45 was invented by the us army to help stop the moro warriors who after the us got control of the phillipnes after the spanish american war fought the us over "their" island saying no one own "their" island but them -- the officers of the day carried 38 cal pistols and it would not go thru the bamboo chest mat armor the moro's used -- allowing the moros armed with matches to kill the officers -- so the army came up with the "hand cannon" 1911 colt --a 45 cal--fast feeding clip fed pistol

the PBY was also due to me being a merchant seaman --1983 / 87 I was a crew member on several marine "pre -positioned" ships for MEARSK LINE ---( in dIego garica, british indain ocean territory -- a tiny remote " military only" island far away from anything else in the indain ocean -- its concisdered a hard ship tour to do 1 year there by the military --I spent 4 years there working a 4 month on 2 month off tours of duty --so I got to lknow all about its tiny 13 miles ) basically each of the "pre po" ships based there is a floating supply base for everything that a marine brigade unit would need --from equiptment to ammo to food --we had it all -- we were a floating military supply house in effect -- in case of an invasion we rolled bring in supplies to the war zone until the normal supply chain could be set up --.

the gaint clam photo was taken while I was working on the USNS HARKNESS a us govt "military research" vessel during one of our stops to check some "govt" equiptment placed upon a rather remote island in randa sea area off of AUSSIE land --during "project marco polo" -- the islanders insisted on "rent" being paid to "allow" the towers to be on "thier" islands --so as cheif steward -- I was in charge of "payment"of the "rent" (items that I had to sign out of my "ships supplies") -- things like oh 50 lbs bags of sugar and rice -- canned meats and fruit and such --one of the perks was going ashore on these often remote seldom visited places to deliver the "goods"-- humm I could made lots of clam chowder from that clam I bet -- oh yes the islanders loved to see the "goodies man" -- you should see a few of the very interesting things I (privately) "traded" for with the locals

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ivan

hey man great stuff! You were a real adventurer man! Its cool that you had a chance to see some of the most interesting places out there. Did you ever metal detect out there?

larry

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok I'll ask, what does PBY mean....totally neat photos Ivan, boy who wouldnt want one of those clam shells....great photos, thanks for sharing, now show us some more please.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
p -patrol -- b- bomber --y is the manufactors letter --they were large and slow flying but could stay aloft for long amounts of time and could carry a bomb / depth charge or torpedo--(their big weapon was really their "radio" they would alert local area destroyers which would then hunt down the subs) they were used alot for anti submarine work - they had a couple machine guns mainly for show -- if found by a enemy fighter plane their goose was cooked --they were also use to rescue downed pilots

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT

Sounds like some exciting times you had. I didnt actually know thats what PBY stood for even though I had looked at our friends. The PBY was a big plane but it was a beauty. The albatross he bought and later sold still had the torpedo chute. I think he now owns a mallard, but is looking for the grumman beaver instead. I can hardly afford a nice metal detector let alone a plane.

Spirit

Jun 12, 2003
Philly

Wow...looks like you've had some adventures.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Great photos Ivan.

Looks like fun, for the most part.

I've met any number of young fellows bound for Diego Garcia... they weren't happy about it!

rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread