Whites Surf II with amphibian coil. Got as gift from a neighbor.

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an older neighbor who saw me in my garage cleaning coins and said he used to metal detect. He said he was about to throw out his machine and asked if I wanted it. I said heck yes. I don't have a water machine and I thought it might be good to bang around with in the surf.

Any thoughts or ideas about the machine. It looks as though it was a good one in it's day. Is it still a viable machine or will I be wasting my time? My ACE250 isn't for the surf so I am hoping the Whites will do the trick.

TE

Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boy are you a lucky guy... I wish I had a neighbor like that... I betcha you have a ball with that.. I am dying to play in the low surf hunting.. best of luck to you too. :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a early model Whites PI that is still good today. The only trouble with it is it's lack of good discrimination against iron. It can locate a bobby pin at good depths and on the wrong beach you could get tired of digging. The only thing to look out for on these older detectors is the condition of the O ring. Be sure to use silicone grease on it and seal it securly before taking it in the water. If you didn't get a manual, you can download it from Whites web page.

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS
I have owned one for 18 or so years it is not a PI machine and will give false readings in the saltwater(to use it in the saltwater the sensitivity will have to turned way up). I have found 100's of rings and other jewelry over the years on the beach (one of my recent posts show a ring found with the Surfmaster II). The machine is easy to use and is a turn on and go machine with the settings printed on the control box. Hope you find a ton with it. Scrooge

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is not a "P.I" it's a V.L.F

THIS IS A WATER PROOF V.L.F DETECTOR WITH "FULL DISC" IT'S A GREAT FRESH WATER AND LAND DETECTOR BASED ON THE "CLASSIC II/III" IT WILL WORK IN WET SAND BETTER THAN THE 250...BUT NOT THE BEST IN THE SURF...."MR BILL" FROM CAPE COD.."SURF PRO DETECTORS" DOES SOME GREAT MODS TO THIS DETECTOR!! HE CAN BETTER TUNE IT FOR THE SALT!! IN LAKES THIS DETECTOR IS GREAT!!! YOU CAN DISC TOO..ITS GREAT FOR PARKS IN THE RAIN TOO!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I stand corrected. The Surfmaster II was a VLF and had disc. I don't know why I was thinking of a PI as Whites used the name interchangeably between models.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All SURF+ SURF II's/AMPHIBIANS are "V.L.F"

Sandman said:
Sorry, I stand corrected. The Surfmaster II was a VLF and had disc. I don't know why I was thinking of a PI as Whites used the name interchangeably between models.
ALL "PI'S" HAVE PULSE, OR PI IN THERE NAMES....ALL DETECTORS OF THE "SURF II" NAME ARE VLF.... "SURFMASTER" IS JUST A REFERENCE TO IT BEING FOR WATER USE.....IF IT'S A "PI" IT WILL SAY IT IN THE NAME ON THE COIL ECT. WE HAD THIS SAME TYPE OF POST NOT LONG AGO HERE...WHERE SOME ONE WITH A VLF SURF II WAS GETTING TOLD HE HAD A PI ECT. ECT...

bluemax950

May 31, 2012
Detector(s) used
DFX / MXT
Primary Interest:
would you trade it

I have an older neighbor who saw me in my garage cleaning coins and said he used to metal detect. He said he was about to throw out his machine and asked if I wanted it. I said heck yes. I don't have a water machine and I thought it might be good to bang around with in the surf.

Any thoughts or ideas about the machine. It looks as though it was a good one in it's day. Is it still a viable machine or will I be wasting my time? My ACE250 isn't for the surf so I am hoping the Whites will do the trick.

TE

Hi would you like to trade for a whites MXT

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a really awesome machine,your going to love it.Good luck hunting.I love my surf pro PI It's a newer version of your new machine.:leprechaun-hat:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread