Cheap metal detector for beach and shallow water

Polarbeer

Jun 12, 2008
Sweden
Hi!

I'm new here and also brand new to the treasure hunting, in fact I havn't started yet. Before I start I'd like to gather the information needed to avoid any pitfalls, hence mypost here.

My first question would be if there is any point at all buying a really cheap detector to start out with. I'm talking $100-$200 range. It's either this option or I need to wait until I've saved up for a better one. Also I don't know what the beaches around here have to offer, wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money and realize there is hardly anything to be found.

In Sweden it's against the law to detect without a permit, I've made my application for a few nearby beaches and hopefully it will go through. Meanwhile I'm trying to find out what detector to go for.

This is one I know is available over here and it's in the price range I would be able to afford right now: http://www.apogeekits.com/metal_detector_cs200.htm

Upvote 0

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Save your money and get a good one. That one is junk IMHO

OP
OP
P

Polarbeer

Jun 12, 2008
Sweden
I've been looking around a bit more...

Bounty Hunter seems to be a well known brand and they have a few machines that are quite affordable. I'm looking at a Bounty Hunter Lone Star at the moment. How would that one in particular suit for beach and shallow water detecting?

Bobbie

Nov 7, 2005
Connecticut and SW Florida
Detector(s) used
2 Minelab Excal 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detector Pro Pirate is the one you want. It is in the low $300 range but an excellent machine for the money. Dry, damp, wet sand and shallow water. Lightweight and very easy to use. If you only want to do the sand then get a Garrett Ace 150 or 250. Both of those will do the job in your price range.

OP
OP
P

Polarbeer

Jun 12, 2008
Sweden
Can't find any retailer for the Detector Pro Pirate in Europe. I have to buy one within the EU or I will have to pay custom and additional fees. Any other suggestions? Or maybe someone know of a retailer within the EU, couldn't manage to google one.

cheers

Bobbie

Nov 7, 2005
Connecticut and SW Florida
Detector(s) used
2 Minelab Excal 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Polarbeer said:
Can't find any retailer for the Detector Pro Pirate in Europe. I have to buy one within the EU or I will have to pay custom and additional fees. Any other suggestions? Or maybe someone know of a retailer within the EU, couldn't manage to google one.

cheers

Please go to http://www.detectorpro.com and click on International dealers. There is a list of dealers in Europe that you can buy from Joan Allen in England handles the largest amount of detectors in the world.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
POLAR BEAR

i quote a friend from the UK - tony and mr ??? u know

" Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste time using a cheap machine when you can have more fun and recover more with a better detector. "

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a couple top of the line detectors and I wanted to break into water hunting but wasn't ready to cause my divorce yet by buying an excal. So I got the pirate instead. I had it put up for 6months and finally took it out really expecting to find nothing more than pull tabs if even that. I was super surprised the little bugger actually does a decent job in the water. I found very little trash and lots of coins a few pieces of jewelry and odds and ends. I am happy with the the thing for the price. Things I do not like about it is that it takes 9v batteries and those go into the headphones which cause them to be a bit heavy. The headphones are a square kinda shape so its a bit cumbersome, and where the coil attaches to the shaft is a bit flimsy and loose but that I can modify myself. But until I get serious about water hunting this machine works great for me.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I would avoid it if it was me. Looks like a version of the Viper which is junk.

Will you actually be in the water or just the wet sand? If in the water how deep will you be? If you are not going into the water over your midcalf to knees, then there are several good detectors you can get that are not water proof but will work as long as you are very careful and do not get the housing wet. (chest or shoulder mount controls)

It is hard to beat a Minelab Sovereign GT for the beach and is a fantastic land detector. It handles the salt mineralization with out a problem. Look for one used on EBay or better yet from one of the boards, there are members who do ship to Europe if you pay the shipping.

I am trying to be honest, it is next to impossible to get a good water detector for a couple hundred dollars or less. You have to invest enough to get something that will work for you and not frustrate you. Why waste the time and money with a detector that will not give a peep as you walk over some amazing finds other detectors would see....Add a couple hundred more and get something that will do the job right.

Good luck and good hunting.....

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gravediggermax-vabeachva said:
u need to loose that dealers phone number

that thing will not find a volkswagon under a rug

rofl

that describes a certain namebrand I once had

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dont they have a warranty? If it was defective wouldnt they give you the money back?

If the thing works, it would be better than havin to shell out like 700 bux..

Larry

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Larsmed said:
Dont they have a warranty? If it was defective wouldnt they give you the money back?

If the thing works, it would be better than havin to shell out like 700 bux..

Larry
Oh it will probably beep-every time you pass it over a 55 gal drum
THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In beach detectors you get what you pay for.

It is a whole different world detecting salt water vs land. You have massive mineralization from the salt, black sand, swells, crashing surf, lots of tiny pieces of iron, holes that fill in almost faster then you can dig and on top of that, creatures that consider you a "snack".

You want a detector that can handle the mineralization, the black sand, tells you when the target is iron, and when it isn't, one that allows you to find deep targets and quickly pinpoint it before the surf drowns you, a good scoop that allows you to recover target quickly before the hole fills in, or the next swell or wave rolls over you flipping you upside down, and last, but not least you want to avoid being a "snack".

Why pay $200 for a piece of junk that might see a few large targets, when for $300 to $600 you can get one that will see the good targets, handles the mineralization, black sand, and pinpoints quickly....On top of that you can sell it down the road and get 80 to 100% of your money back if you take care of it.

Just my personal opinion, but if I am going to go to all the time and trouble to hunt the water and beach, I don't want to wast my time on a cheap detector that may or may not see something every now and then, when I know there is detector out there for a little more that will see it and pinpoint it quickly for sure......I don't want to be digging a 3 foot wide hole trying to recover one of the few targets the detector sees.

I bought the Viper as my first detector, took it home played with it for 2 days took it back to Kellyco and told them they could keep that piece of junk, I wanted to buy a real beach detector. I bought a new Whites Beach Hunter ID, then I bought a Minelab Excal 1000 used, down the road, I traded the BHID for a Minelab Sovereign GT, I got 72% of what I paid for the BHID back in trade in, not counting what I found. The trade in was a fantastic exchange as the Sovereign GT rocks when it comes to beaches.

Good luck and good hunting....................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread