Water Hunters in Florida-----No Charge for this TIP

mr007s

Sep 8, 2007
Where the pavement ends in NC
Hi guys, hope someone will take advantage of this. If you do I would like to hear what you find.

Last summer the wife and took the grandsons to Orlando for a week. They went to WDW each day while I drove around the state doing some Terra and Geocaching. One of the caches looked to have a potential for some great underwater detecting at an ole swimming hole. The following is a copy/paste of some of the info about where the cache is located. The coordinates (if you use a GPS are)
N 29 03.462 W081 29.821

This is a really cool spot that I have been visiting since I was a kid. I have always loved it and I hope you do too, don't forget to bring your swimmin trunks!

This place is called Hickory Landing, and it is on the Alexander Spring Creek. This location was once used as a take out for logs that were cut further upstream and floated down to here. A little further down stream is another cool place called Shell Landing, which actually has a poured concrete boat ramp, but the road to it was long ago blocked off.

I used to have very long running Geocache at this location, but the ammo can eventually rusted out and I decided that since I was not living in Florida anymore, this one should be converted to a virtual. So to log this cache you will need to do a couple of things. First, you need to take a picture of yourself standing in front of the tree at this location. The second is to do a little research for the confirmation code. The confirmation code is the first 6 letters of the Genus of this type of tree (CC is all lower case). Any found logs without pictures at the cache location will be deleted, if you have no idea what kind of tree this is, drop me a PM or an e-mail and I can give you some help.

There are couple different ways to reach this location, the coolest would be a trip down Alexander Spring Creek by Kayak/canoe from the Springs down to the FR 552 B boat landing. To visit by road, you can come in from Deer Haven Road (FR 540) off of State Road 42. The other option is to come in from FR 538, then take FR 539, immediately after crossing the Tracy Canal you take a left onto FR 540.

This cache is also near my Rock's Triangle, and Rock's Alexander Springs caches, which would make a good string of caches to do in a day. The roads to the cache can vary greatly in their pass ability. I buried my Mom's 4WD Chevy pickup to the frame in a mud hole last year trying to do maintenance on this cache, but this year we didn't see a single wet mud hole, so be prepared to try alternate routes if you find one is impassible.

The day I was there there was quiet a party going on! A rope swing was being put to good use. By the looks of things the area is heavily used and will probably be trashy with beer cans and such. Still, if no one has taken the time to detect it there may be some good stuff awaiting someone. The water looked clear but reddish. That's about all I remember except I kept wishing I lived closer or had at least packed my detector along. If you do detect there I would sure like to hear all about it!

You all have fun down there. We here in the foothills of NC are having sever storms almost every afternoon. Its kind of hard to swing a detector with lightning flashing all around!!!!!

Upvote 0

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to check this out, Sounds like it would be a fun road trip, Since i live in florida, Thanks, COTTON

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
You better check this out real careful COTTON before you detect there. It's a National Forest area and I will bet that no MD'ing is allowed. I used to live up close to there and tried to hunt several "spring" areas and ALWAYS got a firm NO! :'(

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent Emails several times asking permission to hunt the swimming holes and was always turned down.

You can tear up the ground 4-wheeling, you can go hunting, shoot birds and even deer the size of dogs, fish the waters till no fish left, but you can't detect in the swimming holes that removes trash along with lost items. ???

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I hear you, Treasure_Hunter. Same thing here. I even contacted Tallahassee about the State Parks and was told that you CAN hunt those STATE parks but.... you have to get permission from the Supervisor or Director of each individual park. I have seen on here where some people are able to get that permission but on the three that I asked about I was told an unconditional NO. One has a small beach area and I asked if I could hunt only the sand and water during the winter months when they do not have any one using the beach but was still told NO! No exceptions they said. This same particular park - I know another MD'er that was given permission because he went to school with the supervisor. So he can hunt there but no one else can. I hate that. I know of another place where they swim and use a rope to swing into the water from a big tree. I was also told NO there too. I guess I just don't know the right people!

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I've been told that before Snooksion but.... I don't have the nerve. I've been told to go ahead and hunt any school where the gate is left open but.... I hate being told to leave and area so I always ask for permission and get told no. I guess that is another reason I don't do as well as some other.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trouble with State and National Parks is they can impound your equipment.

It is like my guns, I get hostile when someone tries to take something of mine away. >:(

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Treasure_Hunter said:
The trouble with State and National Parks is they can impound your equipment.

It is like my guns, I get hostile when someone tries to take something of mine away. >:(

it is also a felony should they decide to enforce it, never know you might be the "example" and they push it.

RCMoonPie

Sep 6, 2005
KnoxVegas
It would be my luck that the park ranger would be like...

"Oh you didnt know? Thats okay......run along."
"Oh wait....I almost forgot.....take this with you......its a $1500 citation to remind you."

The state/national park thing sucks....I know lots of swimming holes near me and up in the Great Smoky Mtns. Nat. Park. One of which has been a swimmers paradise since before the park was established!
Tell me that wouldnt hold some history!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread