First Hunt

P

Peter Pan

Well, I set out today for my first real try at metal detecting. Me and my ace 250 went off to the beach to find some buried treasure. I tried the wet sand area, but it was just as you guys told me, lots of false signals. Then I moved up the beach to the high tide area and ...nada...zip...nothing. Then I moved to the higher dry sand area (which was really wet sand because I was dodging rain clouds for most of the morning) and started to get good signals that produced items. Not the items one is looking for but pieces of beer cans and metal wires. That was it. But it was a good day anyway. I got out and used my detector for the first time. Found out some of the things it could not do, and am impressed with some of the things it can do (one of the wire pieces I found was about less than and inch long and was at about 9" deep. So no disappointment here. In fact it just made me look forward to the next time I can go out.
The Pan Man

Upvote 0

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Try turning the sensitivity down when you are hunting the wet sand, play with it you'll get setting that yield results. As far as digging trash, you'll dig alot before you make good finds, it's just part of it. We don't post the trash because we have ALL seen more than we want! lol Good hunting! omnicognic 8)

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
You'll find you get better every time you go out. Don't pay much attention to the graphics, they tend to mix you up at first, just listen to it. A gold ring at 1" can sound just like a licence plate at 1 foot! Listen to the different tones at first. Throw a gold ring on the ground once in a while to learn that sound. Good luck!!! Keep posting those finds Bud!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread