Dear Minelab...

Jury Duty

Greenie
Aug 8, 2008
I recently purchase one of your new Excalibur II units. Thank you for shipping it promptly. I was quite exited to receive this detector as I have heard great things about it from several sources; great depth, good tone i.d., discrimination, etc. I have attempted to prove all of these wonderful attributes on the beach and in the surf and report back to you with tales of excitement and treasure. It is with great regret that I cannot, at this time, testify to the superior abilities of your product due to the unfortunate fact that the coil is 8" above the ground while in a standing position.

While I am sure that this is an oversight on the part of your engineers, you may wish to investigate the height of the average man to determine an acceptable length for this apparatus. Apparently, finding objects buried beneath the Earth is easy when compared to designing a stick. Might I suggest that you contact a broom or mop manufacturer or perhaps the Geico Cavemen for advice on this matter.

I am aware that you also manufacture a "tall man's shaft". I will not be purchasing one due the fact that, around here, "getting the tall man's shaft" is what we call it when we pay $1200 for something that doesn't work unless you purchase additional accessories- so I think I may have already received this. I won't even mention the "side mount shaft". That's another topic altogether. But hey; at least you guys sent me a key chain and "finds bag". Thanks Minelab!

p.s. Thank you for making this machine look like it can shoot water 200' (I tell folks that mine is also a laser gun and a flashlight- no one has doubted me yet). I would like to recommend that the Excalibur III come with a large neon sign that reads "Ask me what the best thing I ever found is". I never get tired of explaining what this thing is and, thanks to the stylish dayglow colors, I may never have to!

Upvote 0

Steve in Cali.

Sep 6, 2007
Jury Duty said:
p.s. Thank you for making this machine look like it can shoot water 200' (I tell folks that mine is also a laser gun and a flashlight- no one has doubted me yet). I would like to recommend that the Excalibur III come with a large neon sign that reads "Ask me what the best thing I ever found is". I never get tired of explaining what this thing is and, thanks to the stylish dayglow colors, I may never have to!

Ha! :D

The "tall man shaft"? Why would the company make the presumption that most of their customers are short and force the tall customers to buy an additional "tall man shaft"? Or better yet, why not make the the "tall man shaft" the standard shaft and let shorter people retract the the portion they don't need back into the staff? Logical no? It might be a disadvantage for people four feet tall and shorter but they could buy the "short man shaft" if they had to.

At least Minelab makes a longer shaft for their detectors. I wish Tesoro would. I'm only 6' tall but even with the Tesoro detector staff fully extended I still have to sweep the coil right off the tips of my toes otherwise I have to lean to get the coil out forward a little more.

I think the last thing that detector companies actually consider in designing their machines is that people actually use them.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Jury Duty, just how tall are you anyhow?

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
Hey JD,Unless you are a professional basketball player,I can't understand how the shaft is not
long enough.You do realize there are two lower shafts avilable,one of which is the dive shaft.
Might want to make sure that's not the one you are using.I have the dive shaft installed on one
of my Excals,and can still reach the ground in front of my feet,with my arm stretched .(I'm 6'2 ")
Something wrong with what you are doing,or you are exceptionally tall,or you're goofing on us.
Look at the set-up again.Good luck,as the Excal is still one of the best beach detectors around.HH Joe

OP
OP
J

Jury Duty

Greenie
Aug 8, 2008
I am 5'-10, maybe 5'-11".

Joe- I am not a member of the NBA. I did receive the "dive shaft" with my detector I did not install it. Unless I got thethe patented "walk on your knees" shaft in error; the Minelab shaft is too short. I am not saying that this is not a good detector. I am saying that I cannot use it properly without amputating my feet (I believe I also said the thing looks like a Super Soaker and I stand by my previous statement).

Sam in Florida

May 23, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to hear the reply from the "Geico Cavemen", here we go picking on him again

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
You are 100% right!

I can't believe nobody else has mentioned this before that I know of.

I can't believe how short it is and I have both ends adjust to the longest setting. I am 6' 2" and I don't have this problem with my Tesoro.

The multiple tones and iron discrimination are brilliant, but the packaging on this unit sucks. I have come to the conclusion they built this strictly with diving in mind and if you want to wade with it or use it on land go to a machine shop and turn it into something that will work for you.

Also be advised you will have a hard time finding gold necklaces and bracelets with it unless the are very heavy or have a pendant or charm attached.

I can't see how they could have actually gone into the water with this unit wading and thought it to be acceptable to swing as constructed.

It is retarded to have to spend $1200 and have to go doing all kinds of modifications to do what it is supposed to be designed for. Minelabs better watch out, because if they don't wise up somebody will take this market away from them eventually if they don't.

Oh and the hip mount, well I know a lot of people do it but I tried it and I think it is ridiculous.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally don't understand the problem, you do one very simple mod; you purchase an extended shaft, mount it and then you go surf hunting.

I bought the Original Excal, and hunted with the stock shaft with no problems other then it was unbalanced and heavy, so I bought the Florida Straight Shaft, problem solved, and I am 5'10. I added the harness with bungie, and I can hunt as many hours as I want with no arm pain what so ever......

When I used my Excal, I usually neck mounted mine most times but have hip mounted it as well, no problems there either.

People spend over $20,000 for a truck and then turn right around and spend several thousand more customizing it to their tastes.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everyone about 50% because I dislike the curved shaft of the Excalibur.  I had to buy the straight shaft the other day for $80.  The other complaint I have is the yellow inserts for the knobs fall out too easily.  I have been looking for a replacement and found one finally on eBay for $12 including shipping.  It seems a little expensive for a tiny piece of plastic.  

But also one has to remember as a company they have to produce a standard size.  In all businesses in the world there is a standard, anything else is an upgrade.  It would cost them and us too much to send out too many different sizes.  Minelab would go broke trying to make everyone happy. That's why companies work off of averages. There should be an offer to exchange the lower shaft or the upper shaft for a longer one, or even for a small fee to change out the curved shaft for a straight shaft.  The Sovereign comes with a straight shaft for buyers in the USA but for those in Europe they have to buy it with a curved shaft (at least that is what the manual said).  But, just as Treasure_Hunter said some of these options are upgrades.  I guess not everyone can be pleased, but a majority are. 

Do I love my Excalibur?  Yes with all my heart.

Just my 2 cents, I know there are other opinions about the same subject.

HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JP you can also go to Radio Shack and get replacement knobs. They are larger so easier to turn and no caps....

I went hunting today, ( no jewelry :'( ), beach sanded in bad, but of the other 10 hunters there, 7 were in the water with Excals, all with the extended shafts, controls mounted on the end, I saw 2 Sovereigns working the wet sand shallow water, one Garrett working the shore line, and I was in the water with my water proofed Sovereign GT..............

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure-Hunter,

I tried to send you a PM. Your inbox is full.

Don't mean to bother you just letting you know.

I sent you a thank you for the information about Radio Shack having knobs and inserts. Thank you.

OP
OP
J

Jury Duty

Greenie
Aug 8, 2008
Please don't get me wrong; I want to like this machine. The original post was a result of the frustration I am experiencing due to what can only be describe as poor design. The inadequate shaft length is only one of the issues with the set up on this thing and it finally pushed me over the edge last night. I don't doubt that it will hunt, I simply question the decision making process involved with putting the thing together.

Anyone familiar with the Excal knows the issues; Short shaft (easily corrected by adding longer shaft-sold separately), lack of armband (easily corrected by purchasing a better one or stripping one from your other detector-not included), bad balance (easily corrected by changing entire shaft or using a hip mount- sold separately), knobs fall off (easily corrected by sticking new knobs back on- spare knobs not included), coil not interchangeable (easily corrected by buying addition Excalibur II with the other coil option- not included), head phones not interchangeable (easily corrected by sending unit to Minelab for modification- at additional cost) water resistance due to placement of electronics (easily corrected by using the side mount shaft- sold separately).

All of these issues are fairly minor and could be addressed relatively easily and inexpensively in production. I have no doubt that Minelab is aware of these deficiencies. The fact that they remain can only be attributed to incompetence, complacency, or marketing strategy- I really don't care which it is but none of those options make me particularly comfortable when discussing a higher end unit.

Perhaps this thing should be sold as a kit without the shaft at a reduced price.

I plan to keep the Excalibur and, eventually, I suppose I will get a set up I like. I hope I find a thousand rings with this thing, name it Lucille and end up sleeping with it beside my bed. Until then, I'm afraid I may be a bit grouchy with Minelab until I get rid of all the zip ties I have holding it together and can return my elbow strap to it's rightful place on one of my White's. My intention is not to offend the loyal Excal guys.

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
JD,Glad you took the comments in the good spirit that they where intended.I was just perplexed
as I use the stock shaft and it's quite ample for my height.Just tried it again on the 3rd hole up
and it still swings nice.Shows that each person has there own style.I got the hip-mount conversion
with the detector,so I used it to convert the shaft to a balanced set-up by installing it in the back
of the stock shaft.Also a custom arm rest,and I changed the stock handle for one made by Bell.
As for the look,I agree it's unusual,and one reason I waited so long to buy one.Turns out it is
the only detector I've owned that is negatively bouyant.Nice when diving or in deep water.Hope
you remedy your situation so you can enjoy the great electronics it has.Good luck and Happy
Hunting,Joe

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JD

Try out the straight shaft, you will love your Excalibur more. It still gets heavy after awhile so if you are detecting dry sand for hours you might want to get one of those waist mounts, still with the straight shaft. I tried with the curve shaft with the waist set up and still my arm bothered me after awhile. But, that was my experience, each has their own opinion.

I agree with you about the green stripes, I don't like it, but I'm sure that they got the colors from opinion polls. I like my blue one and I am going to try to take very good care of it for as long as it is alive.

Once you get used to your Excalibur you won't want another water machine. It is a machine that really babies you when you realize the advantages.

It is sad that spare pieces, for example the plastic bolt (that strips over time) that holds on the coil, the rubber washers for the coil, and the inserts for the knobs, are not included with the purchase. I wish there was a spare parts package offered by Minelab, not other brand. These aren't upgrade pieces, these are the standard pieces that break or fall off with use. I still don't know how the yellow insert fell out.

HH

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
All I can say is thank God for Tnet and sites like it. If it wasn't for sharing modifications and techniques amongst users, people would be 10 times more frustrated.

The stock shaft has adjustments, it just isn't designed to adjust as long as it should for taller people. I have adjusted by swinging it more vertical close to my feet but it reduces my coverage and is less natural.

Also for longer arms the cuff and the padded handle are too close together.

Also I have had to tape the padding because from day one it wouldn't stay in place.

I do like an "s" handle I guess because I am used to it. I too put my ($30.) Hip Mount to use by doing as JoeSWF describes and installed tubing. ($8.) I just installed industrial Velcro,($10). on the stock shaft and I am a much happier camper.So far so good with the stock "S".
I not only dislike the hip mount I believe it to be dangerous to be tied to bungees and ropes and do dads, if you were ever caught in a rip or something, but that's just me. I won't ever dis somebody that is happy with their way.

I got away with $48. in mods, a few cuss words, hours of tinkering.

I know with me and I am sure others is the anticipation of your new toy and you find out you got to tinker and go to the hardware store it just don't seem natural.

Happy Hunting!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jpotter said:
Treasure-Hunter,

I tried to send you a PM. Your inbox is full.

Don't mean to bother you just letting you know.

I sent you a thank you for the information about Radio Shack having knobs and inserts. Thank you.

JP my charter membership expired this week and I did not notice it. When it expired the amount of PM you are allow to have in your inbox is about half, which put me way over the limit. I just renewed TN charter membership when I saw it was expired so it should be restored in few minutes...........

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Jury Duty said:
Anyone familiar with the Excal knows the issues; Short shaft (easily corrected by adding longer shaft-sold separately), lack of armband (easily corrected by purchasing a better one or stripping one from your other detector-not included), bad balance (easily corrected by changing entire shaft or using a hip mount- sold separately), knobs fall off (easily corrected by sticking new knobs back on- spare knobs not included), coil not interchangeable (easily corrected by buying addition Excalibur II with the other coil option- not included), head phones not interchangeable (easily corrected by sending unit to Minelab for modification- at additional cost) water resistance due to placement of electronics (easily corrected by using the side mount shaft- sold separately).

Perhaps this thing should be sold as a kit without the shaft at a reduced price.

Never been said better... Minelab... Please re-read above. Sell me a unit I can comfortably use out of the box, and I'll buy it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread