Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Sand Shark
Right now there is allot of sand on the beach to find that old stuff but I find that Nags head seems to have less restricted access and therefore more stuff (clad rings etc..) The northern beaches (Corolla, Duck ,Southern shores and Kitty Hawk) have a real lot of sand right now and are not giving much up. Are you a sand hunter or a water hunter? I was up in Corolla last weekend found 56 cents and 26 bottle caps plus a couple of pieces from those wrecks they are all over the place (steel ships) R/Mike

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Out of curiosity, what do these pieces of ship look like? I am a bit north of the Outer Banks, and there have been a lot fo shipwrecks here as well. I occasionally find an unusual piece of what appears to be steel while out hunting the beach. But knowing little, Im not sure what they are. I have saved them all of course, and if you want, I can photo and post a pic of them.

Thanks,
Anthony

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Well first there very deep! Second there usually in one general area and third when you get them in your scoop they don't come up!! Believe me you will know when you find a rusty I beam or heavy piece of rusty steel. In the winter if we get a good storm I'll take a picture and post it..

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
ok, i usually find pieces that are dark in color, about 1/4 inch thick, and appear to ahve been part of a large sheet once. they are usually the size of a coin, and are in different shapes and sizes

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
When steel is exposed to salt water it will rust (no kidding right) but what I mean is it will scale or flake a 1/16 inch of steel could be half an inch thick these pieces of scale will flake off and leave coin size pieces every where! It could be from any thing old bulkheads, ships ect.. the ocean is kind of like a giant compost bin for steel..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread