Scoops?

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been reading all I can about scoops and I am wondering what You guys think of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5789697588&category=58056&rd=1
If that comes out. Are those OK for the price or is it a cheap piece of crap,
If using scuba/snorkel gear is this even the right length.
I also see some plastic hand scoops on ebay.
I figure if I ask here first it might save Me from making a mistake.
Thanks

Upvote 0
F

fishercz20

It doesnt look very strong where the neck meets the scoop itself. Just remember, you get what you pay for. I would look beyond this if I were you. GL

OP
OP
maverick4440

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that looked kinda cheap.
Where are guys getting those welded up heavy duty looking scoops I see on some of these messages?
Are they home made?
Please forgive all My stupid questions,
Water hunting is a whole new world for Me
Thanks
Dave

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
its hard to tell from that picture but i have a scoop almost identical to that one and it is pretty strong. if you look at the handle just before the bend you can see that the handle goes through a galvanized piece of steel to reinforce and strengthen it. i would go for it considering i paid $30 for mine. i got it at reilly`s treasured gold www.rtgstore.com

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
hey maverick i read your post again and saw you are interested in water hunting? that scoop is really designed for dry sand.use that link i posted and check out the water scoops this guy has. they are kind of expensive but at least you can get a look at them.

TOWcritter

Check out "Zekes" scoops from this very forum. I have one and it's built like a brick ---thouse. I use my foot to push it in the sand all the time. It's solid. They're reasonably priced too. Better than anything I've seen in a store. Well worth it.

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Treasure Coast Scoops( http://www.treasure-scoops.com )if you want a very good quality and heavy duty water scoop.They have a variety of models to choose from.I use the #112.Cost a few bucks,but worth every cent.I've dug into rocks,mud,clay and other hardpackes without any problems.
Waterbug

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks for the plug TOW 8)

I've got a 4ft 1pc handle scoop made up.....has a 6 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 9 1/2" scoop body. If you dont want it that long I can cut it down....or make a 2 pc handle out of it.

Short handle scoops 12"..........................$25 +shipping
1pc handle scoops 40"..........................$45 +shipping

2pc handle scoops ..................................$60 +shipping
2pc handle scoops with 2nd grip at joint.....$65 +shipping

TOWcritter

Hey Zeke. How you been?! Your site looks great. Btw....If it would help you sell a few more.....The small scoops weigh less than 1 pound. Very easy and comfortable to carry for extended periods of time. (another plug) Do I get residuals?! lol

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Depends if you want to spend that kind of money. When I started, I went to a feed store and bought a grain scoop for $4. Took it home and drilled 1/2" holes in it and used it for a number of years. The crossbar section is replaced with 1/2" EMT tubing flatten on the ends and bent at a right angle and bolted to the sides of the scoop where the rivets were. When I wanted a long handled scoop, I bought a 8 foot section of EMT tubing and using a tree trunk, I bent it in the shape like those in the magazine, like a bowtie and bolted the section that crossed to give it added strength. Taking one end and flattening it and bending it to a right angle, like a crazy Z, I bolted it to the scoop 1/2" EMT handle and to the back of the scoop. I used that rig for about 5 years until I found enough and saved enough to buy a S/S long handled scoop for a $100 which I still use today. ;D

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
been good tow. Havent been detecting much though.......too dang hot :'(

Are you talking about the small bodied scoops or the short handle ones? I havent sold one of those small bodied ones since I started doing the bigger bodied scoops. I think I have 2 or 3 long handled small bodies made up....maybe even a 2pc.

PM me your addy and I might send you a early Christmas present....if you want a long handle. Didnt you just get the 12" shorty?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread