Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
IKE GETS HUGE 145MPH

Posted on Thu, Sep. 04, By MARY ELLEN KLAS, ANDRES VIGLUCCI AND EVAN S. BENN

Tropical Storm Hanna was moving past the Bahamas on Thursday on its way to a possible landfall near the Carolinas on Saturday, and Hurricane Ike became a bigger concern as it exploded into a massive Category 4 storm.

Florida, threatened by the third tropical storm in three weeks, might be spared Hanna's wrath. The storm is expected to remain just below or near hurricane strength as it skirts by the state's east coast.

But Ike's path is more uncertain -- and its heft worrisome.

Ike grew to a Category 4 storm with 145 mph sustained winds and 180 mph gusts. It was about 1,650 miles east-southeast of Miami on Thursday and moving west-northwest at 17 mph.

On that track, Ike could curve toward the Turks and Caicos Islands and the Bahamas early next week at Category 4 strength. South Florida remains in the five-day forecast cone -- which is subject to wide margins of error -- and Ike could be here by Wednesday

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/671633.html

Be careful what you wish for, we may get it. We may be in trouble here with a strenghening major hurricane.

Attachments

• IKE thurs.jpg
    IKE thurs.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 813
Upvote 0

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
God acts in mysterious ways!

BTW... What was Bush doing in Austin during Gustav? Was there a hurricane command center there? I am not sure what that was al about.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marc said:
God acts in mysterious ways!

BTW... What was Bush doing in Austin during Gustav? Was there a hurricane command center there? I am not sure what that was al about.

Party on 6th street!

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
Please, Please don't make me put up those storm shutters on my building at work. To many windows.
Our renters have already scheduled temp help on Monday to put theirs up. I will make that decision then. To far out to put up shutters now. But Ike rimes with strike. Not good.

Dale

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Thank God it is not projected to come here, but, thena gain, Hanna wasnt supposed to, and now it is heading directly for us here in Virginia/North Carolina. I tremble for anyone facing this storm.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Ike continues straight on a path towards heavily populated SE Florida...very compact, very powerful. This storm reminds me of another. ANDREW. :o Remember Andrew gaining strength right before landfall, then silence. All communication with Homestead was out. The National Guard didnt arrive for 6 days, if I remember correctly.. Luckily the eye passed south of Homestead and not heavily populated Miami. We may have another srerious disaster looming....or worse this time. Time to prepare NOW!

Attachments

• Hurricane Andrew.jpg
    Hurricane Andrew.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 670
  • Hurricane leveled neighborhood.jpg
    Hurricane leveled neighborhood.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 660
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The computer models now as of 8pm have hurricane Ike going under the mainland. ...bad news for Keys residents. Of course these predictions could change tommorrow. New Orleans again?

Attachments

• Ike 8pm fri.gif
    Ike 8pm fri.gif
    31.9 KB · Views: 570
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
My PRAYERS TO EVERYONE in Ike's path!! Watching the Galveston area photos ... with the storm surge ... it's showing water coming over that sea wall! It was starting to flood and the storm at that time, was still 12 hours away from landfall. I pray everyone left!! I know they said in a report this morning that a few people were riding it out, I Pray they are there after the storm passes!

PRAYERS TO ALL!!!
Annmarie

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
just-geese said:
Ron and Ann said:
My PRAYERS TO EVERYONE in Ike's path!! Watching the Galveston area photos ... with the storm surge ... it's showing water coming over that sea wall! It was starting to flood and the storm at that time, was still 12 hours away from landfall. I pray everyone left!! I know they said in a report this morning that a few people were riding it out, I Pray they are there after the storm passes!

PRAYERS TO ALL!!!
Annmarie
Thanks Annmarie
A few stayed and already they are crying for the Coast Guard to come rescue them...Damn good thing I'm not in charge, you were given 3 days notice, now you are on your own...just for being stupid
Don

That is sad folks just don't listen....I rather evacuate for the sake of making sure my family is safe. My home can be replaced, my children can not! We don't get the brunt of hurricanes in VB like Florida, the Islands and the Gulf get, but God Forbid, we are so very long overdue!!! I sat through Isabel and to be honest, that was enough for me...never again!!! She did some extensive damage in our neighborhood, but if not for the Outer Banks, we would get it alot worse!

My dau was sheltered during IVAN (she was stationed in P-cola) and my parents survived ANDREW (My Dad said NEVER AGAIN!!! My Mom worked at University Hosp at the time and was required to be there, so Dad decided to stay home instead of going to the hospital with Mom).

If you are given a notice to leave, then leave.... and I pray she does NOT get any stronger. And yes, that is all I am hearing, the WATER!! There are areas that were flooding this morning and the storm was still 12 hours away. I would NOT expect a rescuer to risk their lives for the sake of my own stupidity!!!

Blessings to all of you,
Annmarie

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
just-geese said:
A few stayed and already they are crying for the Coast Guard to come rescue them...Damn good thing I'm not in charge, you were given 3 days notice, now you are on your own...just for being stupid
Don
I dont believe anyone can help them once the hurricane force winds start. As a matter of fact, I am sure of it. Not the Coast Guard, not the Police, not the National Guard.... afterall, they are only human.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread