Was the unknown author looking for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It would be difficult to portray the delight he experienced when accident revealed to him the explanation of the paper marked "2." Unmeaning, as this had hitherto been, it was now fully explained, and no difficulty was apprehended in mastering the others..." I think it is possible that the author is telling us that he has in fact already decoded ciphers 1 & 3 as well. However, in the very next paragraph he writes, "That they would attach no importance to a seemingly unintelligible writing seems quite natural; but their attention being drawn called to them by the publication of this narrative, may result in eventually bringing to light the missing paper."

The missing paper? We have long assumed that this was to mean a key to ciphers 1 & 3, but I don't believe this is the case. Instead, I think the author was looking for a different paper, and not a key or even another cipher, but rather the piece of paper that contained the keyword index to the 19 four digit codes contained in C1. By bring to light the publication of all three ciphers he was likely hoping to attract the attention of someone who had knowledge of the entire affair, and hence hopefully/possibly gaining access to that critical keyword index. C1 & C3 were probably never published in a solvable arrangement, but by presenting them and claiming that "no difficulty was apprehended in mastering the others..." he was sending a clear signal that "Yes, I have solved the ciphers, but I still need the keyword index to complete C1. If you have that keyword index, perhaps we can help each other, so we need to talk." I think it is likely that this keyword list was the unintelligible paper the unknown author was looking for. :dontknow:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D www.bealetreasurestory.com/id10.html :wink: PROBABLY DID! ;D Use the HAZLEWOOD/HART CIPHER, with the SECRET CSA book, VATTEL'S LAW OF NATION; saved by one Hutter brother of Sandusky; BEALE PAPERS written by ANOTHER
Hutter brother; and the THIRD Hutter brother was a SURVEYOR! :wink: Lynchburg College has a "hankering" for Sandusky, and will purschase it SOON! :D :wink: :coffee2: :read2:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"By parties you have never seen, and whose names you have never heard." I don't know, sure sounds like he's making it pretty clear that the party members were not from the surrounding area. Suppose it could be an intentional misdirect, but I'm just not feeling it......... :dontknow:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: :wink: By the CONFEDERATE WAR "opening", MY "focus" is on THAT era; MORRISS probably DIDN'T know the REBELS (CSA) involved and they COULD have been FreeMasons. We can as FreeMasons, NOT be known PERSONALLY; and IF you were a REBEL spy or ''high up" in the REBEL (CSA) gov't... identities CAN be "hidden". It is INTERESTING that 2 or 3 were called to Richmond, Va. while TBJ stayed in Lynchburg, Va. Sounds like Richmond, Va. was about to "fall". :o The two Blue Lodges in Lynchburg, Va. are Marshall (1793), and Hill City (1859). J. Beverly Ward was indicated to have been a FreeMason; Newton Hazlewood was indicated to be a FreeMason, and Sgt. (CSA) in the CONFEDERATE WAR. Clayton Hart took info from N. Hazlewood (HART PAPERS), and his brother, George Hart wrote the HART PAPERS, where you can find the HAZLEWOOD/HART CIPHERS (numbers). George Hart LATER became a FreeMason, also. :wink: STILL doing R & I on this... :coffee2: :read2: :coffee2: Coffee? :wink:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reb,
If you'll send me your e-mail I'll send you something you may find "very interesting" in regards to Beale, and the Freemasons! (you may have already seen it, I don't know?) I don't think it's a freemason thing, but if you think there is a possible connection then you may want to see what I'll send you.
Scoop

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(WINK) the "UK" author wasn't looking for ANYTHING (MY humble opinion - MHO); just "HIDING" something; THAT is why NO ONE has found "IT"! (CHEESY GRIN)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
STILL here... LONG JOHN SILVER aka "Old One Eye"; I DID have a eye patch 20 years ago! (SNICKERING)

kenmor

Jan 28, 2006
Yes but they had been in virgina,because that is where they left from and also in the letter,Beale wrote "It was finally decided that is should be sent to Virginia under my charge, and securely buried in a cave near Buford's tavern, in the county of Bedford, which all of us had visited," So they must have lved close enough for everyone to know about the cave (smile)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HA! We BOTH have the SAME Avatar; must be a "code" or something (GRIN). I think "they" were from UPPER GOOSE CREEK VALLEY (Bedford County), whether "Beale Expedition" era or "Confederate War" era; in Botetourt County (NORTH of Bedford County), the Beale family was WELL known with "family connections" with folks from the UPPER GOOSE CREEK VALLEY. In fact, after the Confederate War (Civil War, which was NOT "civil"), the ppl there created a COMMUNITY named SMYRNA or something like that with a Post Office, etc.; the "town" was TEMPORARY, and ceased to exist with MANY speculations as to why! MORE later... having to do with Walnut Grove Church. (WINK)

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
Rebel,
Do you have any more information on this temporary town (Smyrna)?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(WINK) Yes, I do; it was in the book, BEDFORD VILLAGES, LOST & FOUND Vol # III by DAR; it ALSO has info on Monvale, Va. with a map & history. LOTS of info on old roads, etc. & made a copy of pages on SMYRNA; will see if I can find it, & share... (SMILE)

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
MEANWHILE, PV (RIP), in his book... THE BEALE TREASURE - NEW HISTORY OF A MYSTERY, indicated that the Smyrna community had a church named Smyrna Church, which later became Walnut Grove Church; AND! The church was moved from the original site to within "4 miles of Bufords"; BUT! The 1820/1822 site "tantalize Beale hunters because it is near a point where Goose Creek crosses the early road trail between Buford's & Buchanan (Botetourt County, VIRGINIA)". (pg 84-85) This was taken from Chapter 9, TWO WEST OR TEN EAST? VERY interesting chapter; HIGHLY recommended! (WINK)

F

Franklin

MEANWHILE, PV (RIP), in his book... THE BEALE TREASURE - NEW HISTORY OF A MYSTERY, indicated that the Smyrna community had a church named Smyrna Church, which later became Walnut Grove Church; AND! The church was moved from the original site to within "4 miles of Bufords"; BUT! The 1820/1822 site "tantalize Beale hunters because it is near a point where Goose Creek crosses the early road trail between Buford's & Buchanan (Botetourt County, VIRGINIA)". (pg 84-85) This was taken from Chapter 9, TWO WEST OR TEN EAST? VERY interesting chapter; HIGHLY recommended! (WINK)

Rebel, What year did PV say the church was moved. I remember reading something about that. Smyrna is interesting as that was the name of the ship TJB's name was on the ship's manifest which P Innis and her husband found in their travels. Please see if you can find the year?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yo Franklin! PV (RIP), wasn't clear in his book, tho it looks like @ 1869 or so; p. 84 indicate "Walnut Grove Church hasn't always been (at current site); prior to (this), the church was a mile or so further away from Montvale. It was originally Methodist and named SMYRNA Church , built on land given by Jim Bunch. This building served as a school during the Civil War. After this one burned down, the parishioners decided to change its name and rebuild it on (land donated by Rev. G. P. Luck) closer to town." It was THEN, "within 4 miles of Buford's"... LOL! (WINK)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread