1883 Lynchburg fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
As some have suggested, the BP's was to aide some of those who suffered loses in the fire. Also the ads that were run in the Lynchburg Virginian indicate 2 names, Watts and Coomes. Who were these people? I've seen an 1880 census with the watts family but who was the Coomes reference? Richard greaves shows info on the Watts family. Does anyone know about the other family? What did the lose in the fire? Did they lose any family? Is there a list of the dead? How did the fire start?

HH Jay

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you're onto the strongest "fiction" theory, and it is a very strong theory, indeed. If I remember correctly, the Watts family suffered huge losses with not enough insurance to cover near the loss, but that's all I can recall. Maybe Reb & Franklin have more of the details.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Go to the "Morris Norvell Thread" Posted by Rebel yesterday in post number 28 is the webpage about the Lynchburg Fire. you will have to go to page 20. There were five firemen killed when the wall of the Virginian Printing fell on them.

YEP!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, bigscoop go to the same website to Page 28 There it will tell you that in the Census of 1880 they were two young apprenctices. Joseph R. Coomes was a 9 year old son of a grocer in the 1880 Census.

I figured you locals would have the entire scoop/history on their families and businesses as well.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I figured you locals would have the entire scoop/history on their families and businesses as well.

Pretty much well documented (1883 fire), yeah... there IS a book for "mass market" about businesses, ppl and "pics" of Lynchburg, Va. 1885, I think... ALSO one for Bedford, Va,; will look for titles. They MAY be "on-line".

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Never mind. :laughing7: Was just looking for a bit more detail.

It IS in the BP, that the REST of the copies were destroyed by fire... they WERE! After 1885... according to "word of mouth" and SOME written source; unsold copies were "fed" into a pot-belly stove to keep "heat"/warmth going; where...? DUNNO! LOL!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread