Was the Franklin Hotel/Morriss Inn an established Safe House?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOPE; REAL, TRUE history, ALL agree about the Lynchburg, Va. Franklin Hotel of 1817...

No doubt it was real, wasn't implying that it wasn't real. Just a bit of difference in dates of related events etc.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Added a point of interest to the map.

Adam's Monroe Plan.jpg

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
James River goes from East Coast; Richmond, Va., Lynchburg, Va. (TRIP-wise); NORTH from there past Lexington, Va. Hits OTHER river "systems"; NOT sure, myself... "TRIP-WISE" from Atlantic Ocean. "Head-water" IS in Botetourt County, I think; It flows SOUTHEAST towards Richmond, Va.; THEN, the FALLS of Richmond, Va. provides a "change".

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at the possible water route all the way to the Mississippi & the Gulf. It's pretty amazing.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no water route from Lynchburg to the Mississippi River. Charles Pickney tried to build water locks from the Broad River to the French Broad River to the Tennessee River which flowed into the Mississippi River but his plans were never finished. He did build locks on the Broad River, one is located in Lockhart, S.C.

Never said it would be "all" by water, only that the water routes were available. The smugglers in the backwaters in the south used small watercraft that they could easily portage. When necessity required they even used wagons and horses between water routes. There were extremely well arranged networks that took years to establish with a lot of property owners on the rivers even taking part in these various smuggling affairs.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
James River goes from East Coast; Richmond, Va., Lynchburg, Va. (TRIP-wise); NORTH from there past Lexington, Va. Hits OTHER river "systems"; NOT sure, myself... "TRIP-WISE" from Atlantic Ocean. "Head-water" IS in Botetourt County, I think; It flows SOUTHEAST towards Richmond, Va.; THEN, the FALLS of Richmond, Va. provides a "change".

Transport from Atlantic Ocean is easy from Chesapeake Bay "ENTRANCE"; up to the Falls of Richmond, Va. Gotta disembark, stay in Richmond. Va. Catch ANOTHER different kind of ship, to go UP-RIVER against the NATURAL Down-River flow; USUALLY with horses Towing the Ship on the TOW-PATH, which LATER became Rail-Road "Bed".

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
FURTHER... Lynchburg, Va. had a canal put in, which is NOW "paved" over with cobble-stones. It would have been @ 1 Alley (Block) down from the Franklin House, by the OLD map of Lynchburg, Va. Richmond to Lynchburg, Va. "back then" was NOT a easy trip... ppl PROBABLY relied on the STAGE COACHES.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there's a chance that the whole thing may have started in/about 1814, but I'm still trying to put all that together. "If" so, then I think the actual objective in question was a result of the earlier issue. All of this would go clear back to Pike and even before. I personally fill there's a chance that all of the names mentioned in the Pamphlet were, perhaps, referenced for a reason. Nothing conclusive yet but still have a lot of snooping to do so we'll see where it all goes. "If" I'm on the right track then this would also explain why so many similarities in a few of the existing theories. It would also explain why the long period drawn out in the Beale Pamphlet. :dontknow:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I think there's a chance that the whole thing may have started in/about 1814, but I'm still trying to put all that together. "If" so, then I think the actual objective in question was a result of the earlier issue. All of this would go clear back to Pike and even before. I personally fill there's a chance that all of the names mentioned in the Pamphlet were, perhaps, referenced for a reason. Nothing conclusive yet but still have a lot of snooping to do so we'll see where it all goes. "If" I'm on the right track then this would also explain why so many similarities in a few of the existing theories. It would also explain why the long period drawn out in the Beale Pamphlet. :dontknow:

HA! NAMES of streets of 1885 Lynchburg, Va.; had canals, train, etc by then...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TJB first went out west with Chaetou and his men and where captured by the Spanish. Why do you think they welcomed TJB's party when he went back to Sante Fe. Also his half brother had been in Sante Fe since 1805. The two Frenchmen that were with his half brother, James Pursley were released. Pursley himself being an American from Kentucky was not released until 1822 when the Mexicans got their Independence from Spain. All of this is on my CD Book also the Patriot Army. Everything you seek I have already found.

Not even close to what I'm looking through at present, a close parallel perhaps, but all of the suspects I'm investigating at present survived and it involved way more then 30 simple adventurers. We'll see where it goes but looks good/possible so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions