The sum secured for which we are striving.

O

Old Silver

The first in order is the letter from Beale to Mr. Morriss, which will give the reader a clearer conception of all the facts connected with the case, and enable him to understand as fully as I myself do, the present status of the affair. The letter is as follows:

Lynchburg, January 4th, 1822.

(Paragraph 13)
The papers enclosed herewith will be unintelligible without the key, which will reach you in time, and will be found merely to state the contents of our depository, with its exact location, and a list of the names of our party, with their places of residence, etc. I thought at first to give you their names in this letter, but reflecting that some one may read the letter, and thus be enabled to impose upon you by personating some member of the party, have decided the present plan is best. You will be aware from what I have written, that we are engaged in a perilous enterprise - one which promises glorious results if successful - but dangers intervene, and of the end no one can tell. We can only hope for the best, and persevere until our work is accomplished, and the sum secured for which we are striving.

I wonder what was the sum they were striving for. And I wonder why they were striving for a specific sum. Sounds like they had a reason for depositing an exact amount.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first in order is the letter from Beale to Mr. Morriss, which will give the reader a clearer conception of all the facts connected with the case, and enable him to understand as fully as I myself do, the present status of the affair. The letter is as follows:

(Paragraph 13)
The papers enclosed herewith will be unintelligible without the key, which will reach you in time, and will be found merely to state the contents of our depository, with its exact location, and a list of the names of our party, with their places of residence, etc. I thought at first to give you their names in this letter, but reflecting that some one may read the letter, and thus be enabled to impose upon you by personating some member of the party, have decided the present plan is best. You will be aware from what I have written, that we are engaged in a perilous enterprise - one which promises glorious results if successful - but dangers intervene, and of the end no one can tell. We can only hope for the best, and persevere until our work is accomplished, and the sum secured for which we are striving.

I wonder what was the sum they were striving for. And I wonder why they were striving for a specific sum. Sounds like they had a reason for depositing an exact amount.

A good question, indeed. If one assumes the story to be true as written, (which we already know isn't true), then they had already accumulated enough wealth for all of them to live out the remainder of their lives in the lap of luxury. So, given this, what could possibly hold a higher price tag?

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

A good question, indeed. If one assumes the story to be true as written, (which we already know isn't true), then they had already accumulated enough wealth for all of them to live out the remainder of their lives in the lap of luxury. So, given this, what could possibly hold a higher price tag?

There does seem to be a specific purpose for the money.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A sum does not have to mean money/valuables does it? If read from the French perspective a sum could be a/the goal of a colony involving Napoleon. A sum has multiple definitions, an end result fits this one. As does "central idea".

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

A sum does not have to mean money/valuables does it? If read from the French perspective a sum could be a/the goal of a colony involving Napoleon. A sum has multiple definitions, an end result fits this one. As does "central idea".

"The papers enclosed herewith will be unintelligible without the key, which will reach you in time, and will be found merely to state the contents of our depository, with its exact location, and a list of the names of our party, with their places of residence, etc."

Taking the context of the sentence, he is talking about the contents of their depository.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Author is writing about papers too. l.o.l. Bear with me,just looking at angles . Starting near second half with, "We are engaged in a perilous enterprise" and reading the rest hints at a bigger picture or project.
Not saying sum does not mean funds or amounts as that is how I,ve read it in the past but looking at different ways to read it. Over time I read it different than a final monetary,wealth amount and see "sum" as a final result of efforts.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the only thing that we can read from it with any certainty is that there was a defined cause, purpose, goal, or objective. I do believe, however, that the offered amounts of the deposits "were" accurate. Personally, after everything that's been researched so far, I don't think there is any chance that anything remains today, at least nothing one could find.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
NEW Enterprise...? CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA... ALL about STATE'S RIGHTS... $$$$$$$$$ for RECONSTRUCTION, as in Richmond, Va., Lynchburg, Va., VMI, etc, etc.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
did every ship in the past have a fortune on it?
and seems every group of people had a secret cache

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEW Enterprise...? CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA... ALL about STATE'S RIGHTS... $$$$$$$$$ for RECONSTRUCTION, as in Richmond, Va., Lynchburg, Va., VMI, etc, etc.

I don't think that was an issue in 1822

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nah I could be anywhere, so why does his letter say 1822?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The totals offered in the Beale Pamphlet represent "a lot" of money for the period. Hard to imagine too many things that required that kind of wealth back then. Right off the top of my head I can only think of a couple, the buying of a huge tract of real estate, or perhaps enough hard currency to support/finance an extremely large enterprise.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The totals offered in the Beale Pamphlet represent "a lot" of money for the period. Hard to imagine too many things that required that kind of wealth back then. Right off the top of my head I can only think of a couple, the buying of a huge tract of real estate, or perhaps enough hard currency to support/finance an extremely large enterprise.

Such as the CONFEDERATE STATES of America!

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

(Paragraph 13)

Who will be the last.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions