Misgivings and thoughts about the Beale Treasure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
There has always been a few things troubling about the Job Print Pamphlet and the story itself. Sure facts can be found to substantiate the story but nothing factual concerning TJB or his Party of 30 men. Surely 30 men missing would have made the newspapers somewhere or either worried widows stories----something.

Another thought too is the Cypher Codes were known by the immediate family and friends yet no story in the newspaper or any diaries of the deceased. Then the author said the letters and codes were given to him in 1862 and he works on the codes for the next 23 years and finally breaking Code Paper Number 2 giving the contents of the treasure. You would think he would have first talked to some of the living mentioned in the letters and story? Paschal Buford and his wife should have been consulted yet not a mention. Then there were the Buford's children one of whom was the County Clerk and knew all people going and coming from Buford's Tavern. Then there were neighbors and residents which were very few in the Goose Creek Valley-----why did the author not ask around to see where this party camped? So many unanswered questions and I plan to get to the bottom where the story originally started.

The only piece of evidence that seems to make the story authentic is where Clayton Hart interviewed James Beverly Ward and he said the story was true. Other than that there is absolutely nothing factual out there. I plan on digging deeper into the Bedford County and Campbell County as well as Lynchburg City Records as well as known diaries of the locals. I held in my hand the diary of James Beverly Ward, I only wish I could see it again. Good luck in your hunting.

We are "alike" in this, franklin... the time is NOW, to think & reflect on such ???; to begin "anew" in the Spring, 2015. HH! & Good luck to ya!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Let us ponder the mysteries, TOGETHER, and see what we can "come up with"...

BTW; PV, in his book... THE BEALE TREASURE - NEW History of a Mystery, provided a map of PREVIOUS "dig-sites" in Bedford County, VIRGINIA; p. 196...

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Most of those dig sites were mine. I also gave Peter information where other treasure hunters dug for the treasure as I was all over the valley and mountains every day for over twenty years. Some future dig sites of other treasure hunters I did not tell Peter. I have his letters of encouragement from him and read them every now and then. For him to be a Vice-President of a multi-billion dollar company that help to put the first man on the moon and then give me such encouragement kept me going all of those lonely days searching, searching and digging. I sure do miss him.

So do I... GREAT guy! Cindy (PV's widow) went north to live with their son (Ben)... in Mich., I think. PV was ALSO President of of the Bedford Town/County Historical Society, and had access to stuff, we can ONLY dream about...

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ANYWAY... as to yer "ponderings"/musings... "TJB, and 30 men" DOES sound like a military-style "formation", with TJB "elected" as CAPTAIN. MOST "adventure" stories had that, CSA had that...

Last edited:

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cube made of Gold approximately 14.16 inches per side = one Ton of Gold.

I think you are a little off.

A good delivery bar is basically 400 troy ounces/25 lbs and is pretty long, and takes up about 12" x 4" x 3" tall

a cube your size can hold about 25qty /25 lb bars

625 lbs of gold

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
I think you are a little off.

A good delivery bar is basically 400 troy ounces/25 lbs and is pretty long, and takes up about 12" x 4" x 3" tall

a cube your size can hold about 25qty /25 lb bars

625 lbs of gold

The density of gold is 19.3 g/cubic centimeter. A cube 14.16 inches on each side would convert to 1,980 pounds, just shy of a ton.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

The only piece of evidence that seems to make the story authentic is where Clayton Hart interviewed James Beverly Ward and he said the story was true. Other than that there is absolutely nothing factual out there...
How would Ward know that "the story was true", unless he was the "unknown author"?

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has always been a few things troubling about the Job Print Pamphlet and the story itself. Sure facts can be found to substantiate the story but nothing factual concerning TJB or his Party of 30 men. Surely 30 men missing would have made the newspapers somewhere or either worried widows stories----something.

Another thought too is the Cypher Codes were known by the immediate family and friends yet no story in the newspaper or any diaries of the deceased. Then the author said the letters and codes were given to him in 1862 and he works on the codes for the next 23 years and finally breaking Code Paper Number 2 giving the contents of the treasure. You would think he would have first talked to some of the living mentioned in the letters and story? Paschal Buford and his wife should have been consulted yet not a mention. Then there were the Buford's children one of whom was the County Clerk and knew all people going and coming from Buford's Tavern. Then there were neighbors and residents which were very few in the Goose Creek Valley-----why did the author not ask around to see where this party camped? So many unanswered questions and I plan to get to the bottom where the story originally started.

The only piece of evidence that seems to make the story authentic is where Clayton Hart interviewed James Beverly Ward and he said the story was true. Other than that there is absolutely nothing factual out there. I plan on digging deeper into the Bedford County and Campbell County as well as Lynchburg City Records as well as known diaries of the locals. I held in my hand the diary of James Beverly Ward, I only wish I could see it again. Good luck in your hunting.

Only foolish dogs pursue flying birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread