"Buck" W. T. Wright... Sentinel?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT "pic" was of "Buck" going down to BUCHANAN, Va. from his cabin on the BRP (or, his cabin in the woods near Smyrna, Va. in Upper Goose Creek Valley ("flatlands"). According to BEDFORD VILLAGES: Lost & Found, Vol. III... pg. 116-122; "the community of Smyrna, no longer extant, was located along the upper branches of the North Fork of Goose Creek, near the intersection of Goose Creek Valley Road (Rt. 695) with Murriill Gap Road (Rt. 680) which leads off the Valley Road, near the intersection" (p. 116). He would take Bags of Chestnuts to the mill in Buchanan, etc. "Smyrna emerged in the UPPER GOOSE CREEK Valley, following the Civil War" (p. 116). VERY NICE drawn maps of old places shown... THIS INFO IS FOR "franklin"! :icon_thumleft: :coffee2:

My brother, God rest his soul, and I took our car across the Murrill Gap Road 680. It was no more than an old wagon road. The curves was so stiff I had to back up three times to get around some of them. But once I started down the mountain there was no turning back. At the foot of Taylor's Mountain is where my decipherment said the treasure was buried. But I mostly do not believe the treasure ever existed. I wish someone would find verifiable information to confirm or deny the story.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, Taylor Mountain IS the start of the Beale Treasure Trail, near Montvale... BUT! THIS intersection is near where current Walnut Grove Church is. The ORIGINAL location of WGC was NORTH, up the creek, a bit; it burned down & was rebuilt south on the creek, CLOSER to Montvale to be within "four miles from Buford's", AND! At the ORIGINAL location of WGC, the creek was blocked... treasure put in the creek-bed, covered with a flat stone (maybe white quartz/feldspar) and creek was released to flow, again. Read THAT in several books at the Bedford library; MAY have copies of that info in my folders... dunno. MAY well be, that "BUCK" Wright, MYSTERY MAN of UPPER GOOSE CREEK VALLEY did have a cabin in the "flat-lands" of Smyrna (in the woods) and WAS a REB Sentinel watching over it... dunno.GREAT info about him in the book, MONTVALE: From Indian Trails to Skyways by O. F. Hamm, pg. 58-59: Man of Mystery - W.T. "Buck" Wright. He told the residents of UGCV that his name was really YOUNGER, or DALTON; gotta get that book & read it again. ANYWAY, "Buck" was 92, when he died...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
SO! THAT location could have been the CSA Treasury Western Va. cache OR... SUPER-Cache of the James/Younger/Dalton GANG! HEH! Where IS Paul Harvey...?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
AND! "Buck's" cabin was indicated to be NEAR the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains; PROBABLY, near Bear Wallow Mountain Gap... From UGCV into Buchanan, Va. INFO FOR "franklin" ONLY!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, BWG is ONLY 4 miles north into Buchanan, Va.; a winding Road that would be easy for "Buck", on his donkey, followed by his dog, Tippy. When Wife & I went on that road, I felt a VERY strong presence of "Buck"; in the area of Smyrna (UGCV), I could "see" his cabin in the woods, too. SPOOKY!

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
My brother, God rest his soul, and I took our car across the Murrill Gap Road 680. It was no more than an old wagon road. The curves was so stiff I had to back up three times to get around some of them. But once I started down the mountain there was no turning back. At the foot of Taylor's Mountain is where my decipherment said the treasure was buried. But I mostly do not believe the treasure ever existed. I wish someone would find verifiable information to confirm or deny the story.
What kind of "verifiable" info. do you want...?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Proof of any of the 31 men that were missing or newspapers saying they were missing.
2. Something to say they showed up in Sante Fe, N.M.
3. A letter or notes from the author or from James Beverly Ward.
4. Someone find the real Thomas J. Beale.
5. Just anything pro or con that can be verified or documented?

Buck Wright hunted with a man by the name of Toler Ransen. Toler's family owned a restaurant in Buchannon, Va.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
PV thought that the "BT" story could be a COVER STORY... in THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW History of a MYSTERY, p. 165, "Two plausible "MOSTLY TRUE" stories can be considered: one about the Mexican Treasury (Captain Robert E. Lee, US ARMY)... and the other about the CONFEDERATE TREASURY." (Gen. R.E. Lee, CSA to CSA Prez JEFFERSON Davis). I will add a THIRD... James/Younger/Dalton Gang "SUPER-CACHE"... Heh. HH! Good Luck!

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
1. Proof of any of the 31 men that were missing or newspapers saying they were missing.
2. Something to say they showed up in Sante Fe, N.M.
3. A letter or notes from the author or from James Beverly Ward.
4. Someone find the real Thomas J. Beale.
5. Just anything pro or con that can be verified or documented?

Buck Wright hunted with a man by the name of Toler Ransen. Toler's family owned a restaurant in Buchannon, Va.
THANKS! 1-5... NOTHING! I have been in that restaurant... wife & I had lunch, there. DYK? "Bear" Tolley is buried in Buchanan...?

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PV thought that the "BT" story could be a COVER STORY... in THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW History of a MYSTERY, p. 165, "Two plausible "MOSTLY TRUE" stories can be considered: one about the Mexican Treasury (Captain Robert E. Lee, US ARMY)... and the other about the CONFEDERATE TREASURY." (Gen. R.E. Lee, CSA to CSA Prez JEFFERSON Davis). I will add a THIRD... James/Younger/Dalton Gang "SUPER-CACHE"... Heh. HH! Good Luck!

It could be a treasure story by the KGC of misdirection because I know of several very large KGC depositories in the surrounding areas. One is west of Big Lick or today, Roanoke. There is at least three large depositories in Danville, Va. I know of another large one up near Winchester, Va. I have no mention of any in the Lynchburg area? There could be other marker and maps inside the cemetery up in Lynchburg where you saw the Beale Treasure Plaque and the marked trees? Sorry I have not gotten up there to check them out? When can we do that, Rebel?

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
THANKS! 1-5... NOTHING! I have been in that restaurant... wife & I had lunch, there. DYK? "Bear" Tolley is buried in Buchanan...?
"Google" Find-a-Grave: Archibald T. Tolley. Then for MORE info on "Bear"... Bear Tolley Letter Box LbNA # 24894 (ARCHIVED). HH! Good Luck! That is ALL, I am gonna "say" about "Bear". They BOTH may have been CONFEDERATE KNIGHTS (aka Knights of the Golden Circle); "Buck" had JEFFERSON National Forest, & "Bear" had WASHINGTON National Forest. "Bear" may have been watching over something in the big cave at Natural Bridge or the rumored cache at the corner of the Natural Bridge under Rt. 11... dunno.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember reading a story about "Bear" Tolley. They said he got the name by killing so many bears with his long rifle he had used during the Civil War. A gun that was a single shot. They say he shot three bears in one day and had them all down to the railroad tracks waiting on a train to come through and load them for him. He must have been a "sharpshooter"

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ANYWAY, back to "Buck" Wright & Harry Wright... wonder if Harry's father was one of the CONFEDERADOS, who went to the CONCLAVE in Mexico City after the CONFEDERATE WAR; started a BOOMING Steel Business, and had "inside info" for son Harry to find "The Beale". PV did say that they became VERY wealthy... I think I know where they lived in Bedford County, where the old Bedford County Lake was (PRIVATE land, once owned by Bedford County Parks & Recreation)... WOW!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It could be a treasure story by the KGC of misdirection because I know of several very large KGC depositories in the surrounding areas. One is west of Big Lick or today, Roanoke. There is at least three large depositories in Danville, Va. I know of another large one up near Winchester, Va. I have no mention of any in the Lynchburg area? There could be other marker and maps inside the cemetery up in Lynchburg where you saw the Beale Treasure Plaque and the marked trees? Sorry I have not gotten up there to check them out? When can we do that, Rebel?
Weren't "marked trees"; trees pointing in the same direction. Wanna make sure Mr. "D" will be there...

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one that I know of has tried to find out where Harry Wright's wealth came from? You know a lot of Confederate Officers went to Mexico after the war. There was one whole town down there bought out by General Shelby and his officers. I have all of that research somewhere even the prices they paid for the land.

By the way I do have one of the stock's in Harry Wright's company.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
As to THAT, I think the trees were pointing to the CSA Cemetery & "away" from where the City of Lynchburg dug for the Beale Treasure in 1966 (I think... gotta find my folder on OCC, Old City Cemetery). Will have it before you come up; has "pic" of the "site".

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
No one that I know of has tried to find out where Harry Wright's wealth came from? You know a lot of Confederate Officers went to Mexico after the war. There was one whole town down there bought out by General Shelby and his officers. I have all of that research somewhere even the prices they paid for the land.

By the way I do have one of the stock's in Harry Wright's company.
Is it is English..? Look at borders for "clues"...

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As to THAT, I think the trees were pointing to the CSA Cemetery & "away" from where the City of Lynchburg dug for the Beale Treasure in 1966 (I think... gotta find my folder on OCC, Old City Cemetery). Will have it before you come up; has "pic" of the "site".

I have a copy you sent me. A photo with the black lady pointing at the tree with symbols. Only I could not see them. I pretty much figured out where they did the dig for the Beale Treasure. I have it marked on Google Earth Map.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread