Status
Not open for further replies.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Franklin, that was a thoughtful presentation, but several questions remain.
Was James Beverly Ward a paymaster for the CSA or was that F C Hutter?
Were Ward and Hazelwood members of the same Lodge as Guggenheimer, who was mentioned in the job pamphlet? Was a Witcher, also with the CSA and mentioned in the pamphlet, a member?
Where is the location of the iron box today?
...and still, if Hazelwood is the "unknown author", there exist No outside collaborating evidence that the Beale Expedition as related in the pamphlet ever happened, or that the treasure ever existed, or that ciphers C1 & C3 are nothing more than a futile scramble of numbers to "lure the unwary".
Yes, I agree, if it wasn't for the Harts', the Beale Papers would have passed into obscurity.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
For several days I have been reading and researching into the author of the Job Print Pamphlet. The Job Print Pamphlet was written after 1878. There are reasons for this. One of the reasons is that the DOI used in the Job Print Pamphlet was from a history book published in 1878 according to Greaves website.

So if some of the printed pamphlets burned in the fire in Lynchburg in 1883 we can now see the time line for the writing of the Job Print Pamphlet.

I have also read the Hart Papers, Peter Viemeister's, "A History of a Mystery" and Pauline Innis' book, "Gold in the Blue Ridge." Throughout these books and pamphlets are a few conflicting stories. One being that James B. Ward obtained the iron box from Robert Morris and others saying that the iron box and it's contents were given to the author. Then there is Innis and G. Hart saying that JBW broke code paper #2 using the DOI. And then the Job Print Pamphlet say the author broke C2. Also PV says that NH Hazelwood got the original code papers back from JBW and told him not to publish the story. It is all confusing.

But here is what I think happened but can not prove.

1. JBW got the iron box from Robert Morris late 1862 because RM died January 1863.
2. JBW worked on the cipher codes and eventually broke C2 using the DOI sometime before 1878
3. JBW and Newton Hazelwood were in the same Mason meetings and JBW shared some of his findings with NH.
4. NH made a copy of the 8 sheets of paper or JBW gave him the originals since NH was 18 years younger than JBW and both men were paymasters at one time or another for the railroad and army
5. After seeing that neither could get any where with the cypher codes and the railroad headquarters moving out of Lynchburg to Roanoke in 1883 NH being a military man, and well versed in history as well as owning a complete set of Shakespears works wrote the Job Print Pamphlet between 1878 and 1883. He had JBW as his agent because he had decyphered C2 and had been given the iron box and the story from RM.
6. Book goes to printer in 1883 when NH finds out he gets to keep his job and move to Montvale the treasures believed location of burial
7. NH decides not to sell the Job Print Pamphlet because he felt he was betraying and giving way the Beale Parties inheritance. NH goes back to Ward and tells him so but Ward wants to publish so NH caused the fired at the Virginian to burn the copies of the Job Print Pamphlet.
8. Ward becomes Agent for the Author because the author did not want the story published deciding to make funds for himself and his son in laws job at the Newspaper.

So now you have the whole story. The iron box was found in SE Roanoke in possession of the Otey Family according to Pauline Innis as George Hart gave her directions to it in her books she published, Gold in the Blue Ridge and the Gold Copy. The Oteys were kin to JBW and Newton Hazelwood so either could have left the box with relatives but most likely it was Newton Hazelwood. The ironbox could have been given to Newton Hazelwood from RM but that is highly unlikely as NH was away at war serving under Col. Langhorne.

As honest as Newton Hazelwood was by not wanting to betray the TJB Party, I believe the treasure is still buried where it was buried in 1819 and 1821.

Also there had to be a second edition of the Job Print Pamphlet or a second printing. If most of the copies were burned in the fire of 1883, JBW filed for copyright in 1884 and received the copyright in 1885. The Original Job Print Pamphlets that everyone has the date 1885 and the copyright on the label.

Eight years after the second printing Newton Hazelwood most likely feeling his age and seeing JBW making a few dollars off the pamphlet changed his thoughts about releasing the story and had an article published in the Roanoke Times january 1893. Then 1897, Newton Hazelwood shared the cypher sheets with Clayton Hart telling him they were to a treasure near where he lived under the Peaks of Otter and the Job print Pamphlet did not have all the original numbers telling CH that he had changed the numbers so the rightful owners of the treasure would get their shares. That is when CH went to Lynchburg and talked to JBW and his son and the rest is history-------the world found out about the Beale Treasure.

I thought CH changed the numbers "slightly"... (Hart Papers by George L. Hart); GREAT R & I "Timeline"! WELL DONE!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
James Beverly Ward had a leg impairment that kept him out of the fighting during the Civil War. No mention is made how this happened whether he was born that way or it happened when he dropped out of West Point after being there for 18 months. Most likely it was before he went to West Point. The glowing letter sent to West Point written by George C. Hutter needs to be found and read. I am amazed after reading back through Peter Viemeister's book, "A History of a Mystery" how much research he actully did. (The letter needs to be found)

No James Beverly Ward never served in the Confederate Army but he did serve at home. He was a quartermaster and they had to do a lot of traveling maybe to Richmond and back. When he died in 1907 on his funeral papers he was listed as "Major James B. Ward. JBW was a paymaster clerk at Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis, MO between 1840 and 1846 when they returned back to the Risque Farm near Lynchburg, Va. That is where he met Harriet Otey and married her in St. Louis, MO,

Yes Ward and Hazelwood were members of the same lodge for a few years. I believe that is how they knew each other. Hazelwood's father delivered mail from Lynchburg to Castle Craig south of Lynchburg and NH helped him at times going down to the railroad depot to pick up the mail. That is how he eventually got a job as paymaster for the railroad.

I do not know about Max or Witcher being members of the lodge? Rebel should have access to that information. In Danville they have books listing members every year they joined and all the officers but I have not seen any for Lynchburg. However, and this is a big one, the commanding officer for N Hazelwood during the war was Colonel Maurice Langhorne and his was at one time over the Masons in Lynchburg and he lived in the house of Robert Morris until his death and his son lived there in one half of the home in 1864. Charles W. Button lived in the other half of the house.

The iron box today I am quite sure eight years ago it was in the possession of Pauline Innis until her passing. She had no one to leave her estate to as far as I can tell. The iron box would be in her estate whether it is still there or not can only be found out by someone going to the Watergate Hotel where she lived till she died and find out?

As far as Cl and C3 ------- read the Hart Papers especially the fourth paragraph where N Hazelwood gave Clayton Hart the go ahead to work on the codes without his help. It sounds just like when Robert Morris turned the story over to him. Clayton and George Hart both said Newton Hazelwood knew about what was in the Job Print Pamphlet before it was ever published. HOW? He had to be the one that Robert Morris entrusted. He changed the cyphers to locate the "KEY" and in hopes that no one could steal the legacy of Thomas J. Beale's Party. Without his help the treasure would not be found at all without the true cyphers. Newton Hazelwood told Clayton Hart this and that is when Clayton Hart went to Lynchburg in 1903 to find James Beverly Ward and ask him about the Job Print Pamphlet and was the story true.

Another thing is the article appearing in the Roanoke Newspaper in 1893 a full eight years after the Job Print Pamphlet was made public in Lynchburg. The only connection between the two is Newton Hazelwood working Roanoke after the N & W Railroad moved it's headquarters there in 1882 or 1883. Clayton Hart recieved the eight sheets of paper from Newton Hazelwood his boss in 1897.

The Harts keep the story alive but I believe Newton Hazelwood revived the story in 1893 with that article in the Roanoke Newspaper. Then comes in Pauline Innis, she is also kin to the Oteys, Harts, Bufords and Lucks. George gave his journal and works to the Roanoke Library in 1952, he lived in Georgetown and practiced law and most likely had cases that were in the Washington, D.C. area. Pauline found out from him about the Beale Treasure or seen it in the Roanoke Newspaper while visiting Roanoke. Anyway Pauline had to interview George Hart because her first book, "Gold in the Blue Ridge" is mostly about George and his brother Clayton hunting for the Beale Treasure. She reveals she obtained the iron box in Roanoke after George Hart told her it was in the possession of relatives there. She goes to Roanoke and obtains the iron box and only finds two pieces of paper that she believed to be pieces torn from receipts. If one studies those two pieces of paper they could very well be the "KEY" within a "KEY" using the DOI.

Newton Hazelwood's only a few months after getting Clayton to copy the eight sheets of code papers was getting old and sick and he told Clayton to pursue the treasure on his own. That is the same thing Robert Morris told the author of the Job Print Pamphlet. He told Clayton that he believed the treasure was still buried where it was originally buried. Newton Hazelwood was well known for his honesty remember he did not want to disinherit the TJB Party.

With over 31 years of my own research and working on the Beale Cypher Codes for the past 51 years I believe the treasure is still buried in Bedford County within four miles of Buford's Tavern or at least the town of Bufford's

GREAT R & I; only ONE "error"... it was George L. Hart's SON (GLH, Jr.), that was an attorney in DC... AND! George L. Hart, Sr. DID live with his son & family in DC (Georgetown, I think).

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
No in PV's book, he says that Newton Hazelwood changed the numbers so no one could find the treasure. Although it could be in the Hart Papers. But George or Clayton, most likely Clayton told George that Newton Hazelwood changed the numbers in the Job Print Pamphlet but he was giving Clayton the original numbers.
MY info came from the HART PAPERS by George L. Hart, Sr.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Are you sure you read it correctly? I believe the Hart brothers knew more about the treasure than they revealed. For one thing another man worked for Newton Hazelwood out of that office besides Clayton and George Hart. This man at one time stayed at the Stratford Hotel as did Newton Hazelwood. After Hazelwood died and Clayton and George Hart was pursuing the treasure this same man moved in with Clayton Hart or at least they had the same house address. They had the same address for almost 30 years up until Clayton Hart died. Was this man that was a clairvoyant? Clayton Hart wrote all of his research down and all of his work on the Beale Treasure, did he give that book to this man that was with him for over 40 years or more? Where is this manuscript today?

Dunno, MAYBE! Book was stated to be in the Roanoke, Va. Library on Elm Street/Ave. & I looked for it... NOT THERE! DANG! Nor was paper Manuscript for HART PAPERS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread