OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I almost hate to. :laughing7: However, and since you asked, just keep in mind that research provides that such a scenario is possible.

Here it is.....I think there is enough evidence and thus good reason to consider the possibility that this Thomas J. Beale of Richmond may have been the product of a mistress, and not the product of traditional union. There you go.....

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did this Thomas J. Beale of Richmond come from?
Why, after endless gemological searches regarding the name/families Beale is there never any references to him?
He didn't just hatch to become a familiar and respected resident and alderman within a certain district in the city of Richmond who apparently had no brothers, sisters, ants, uncles, cousins, grandparents, parents, mother in laws, father in laws, etc., etc. So where did he come from in the families Beale?

A while back I posed the question; “When Thomas Beale removed to New Orleans did he take his wife?” And to this same question let's apply it to Jr. as well? The Thomas J. Beale of Richmond, as best we can determine, was born in 1823 with no record of who his parents were, there is no route to any reference of him in any Beale family tree. So, how can this be? Are we to assume with all of the research that has ever been conducting into this family name that an entire branch of Beales has been completely missed and undiscovered? At this present date I'd say it's not very likely at all, if there is even any chance of that at all. So how could he still exist, as we can verify and confirm that he did “without a single trace?”

During the era it was quite common for children to be born out of wedlock, many of these children even being cared for by their biological fathers even though they were never entered into the existing family. The adopting of the biological father's name was also quite common, and something else that was also quite common, the adopting of a middle initial so that this individual's identity would be distinguishable from those of the same first and last name. Many, many, of these children were never entered into or traditionally accepted into their biological father's family linage. This isn't anything new to any of us as we can all easily reference many examples of this same type thing.

Our author claims that it was during the second year of the Civil War that he first learned of the details that was destined to make someone rich. It is also told in the narration that Morriss and his wife had allowed an unnamed individual to live in their domicile for a number of years without any recuperation at all. Why was this detail important to the narration? Why was the referencing of the second year of the civil war important to the narration? Why do the details of the adventure end in 1823?

Thomas J. Beale of Richmond was born in 1823, the narration was published in 1885, the difference being 62, or the exact same year of the second year of the civil war. Coincidence? Perhaps. Perhaps not? And “if” the Thomas J. Beale of Richmond was that man that Morriss and his wife had allowed to live in their domicile for a number of years, and “if” this same T.J. Beale of Richmond had been the source of the narration, as I suspect he possibly was, then how might this equate to the statement that the secret had been confined to” immediate family and one close and trusted friend?” Was “the family” actually Beale and the close and trusted friend Morriss, and the real secret being that of the illegitimate son T.J. Beale of Richmond? Is this the “important business affairs in Richmond” that the author made sure to reference just as he is allegedly learning the T.J. Beale secret from Morriss?

And yes, there is more, but I'm holding onto that for now until I can actually verify a few things.One thing I will add, however, is this; destined to make someone rich, in 1885, if there was any fortune in the Beale estate still remaining then who stood to gain if only that fortune could be found? Something to consider, for sure.

This is what I do. I pick things apart piece by piece in search of "reasonable possibilities" and then I present them for those who may wish to investigate these possibilities further for themselves.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
...One thing I will add, however, is this; destined to make someone rich, in 1885, if there was any fortune in the Beale estate still remaining then who stood to gain if only that fortune could be found? Something to consider, for sure...
If it was the New Orleans Thomas Beale, the Ricker family or the descendants of his other legitimate children, remember there was a probate, which brings us to Chloe Delancy, the mother of his illegitimate son, Thomas Beale Jr.
Still the connection to Robert Morriss and James Beverly Ward is conspicuous by the absence of any evidence to that effect.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HA! "Google" Beale Family of Chesterfield, Va. The Plantation owner (Beale) PROBABLY did "sire" a son with his "Slave Mistress"; a 1/2 "breed", who became the "Alderman" T.J. Beale; I think it was JOHN Beale, tho...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
AND! You can even do a "google": Thomas J. Beale (1828-1884). Find-a-Grave in a Masonic Cemetery in Millville, California... he was from VIRGINIA! And a FREEMASON! HH! Good Luck!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Why, after endless gemological searches regarding the name/families Beale is there never any references to him?
He didn't just hatch to become a familiar and respected resident and alderman within a certain district in the city of Richmond who apparently had no brothers, sisters, ants, uncles, cousins, grandparents, parents, mother in laws, father in laws, etc., etc. So where did he come from in the families Beale?

A while back I posed the question; “When Thomas Beale removed to New Orleans did he take his wife?” And to this same question let's apply it to Jr. as well? The Thomas J. Beale of Richmond, as best we can determine, was born in 1823 with no record of who his parents were, there is no route to any reference of him in any Beale family tree. So, how can this be? Are we to assume with all of the research that has ever been conducting into this family name that an entire branch of Beales has been completely missed and undiscovered? At this present date I'd say it's not very likely at all, if there is even any chance of that at all. So how could he still exist, as we can verify and confirm that he did “without a single trace?”

During the era it was quite common for children to be born out of wedlock, many of these children even being cared for by their biological fathers even though they were never entered into the existing family. The adopting of the biological father's name was also quite common, and something else that was also quite common, the adopting of a middle initial so that this individual's identity would be distinguishable from those of the same first and last name. Many, many, of these children were never entered into or traditionally accepted into their biological father's family linage. This isn't anything new to any of us as we can all easily reference many examples of this same type thing.

Our author claims that it was during the second year of the Civil War that he first learned of the details that was destined to make someone rich. It is also told in the narration that Morriss and his wife had allowed an unnamed individual to live in their domicile for a number of years without any recuperation at all. Why was this detail important to the narration? Why was the referencing of the second year of the civil war important to the narration? Why do the details of the adventure end in 1823?

Thomas J. Beale of Richmond was born in 1823, the narration was published in 1885, the difference being 62, or the exact same year of the second year of the civil war. Coincidence? Perhaps. Perhaps not? And “if” the Thomas J. Beale of Richmond was that man that Morriss and his wife had allowed to live in their domicile for a number of years, and “if” this same T.J. Beale of Richmond had been the source of the narration, as I suspect he possibly was, then how might this equate to the statement that the secret had been confined to” immediate family and one close and trusted friend?” Was “the family” actually Beale and the close and trusted friend Morriss, and the real secret being that of the illegitimate son T.J. Beale of Richmond? Is this the “important business affairs in Richmond” that the author made sure to reference just as he is allegedly learning the T.J. Beale secret from Morriss?

And yes, there is more, but I'm holding onto that for now until I can actually verify a few things.One thing I will add, however, is this; destined to make someone rich, in 1885, if there was any fortune in the Beale estate still remaining then who stood to gain if only that fortune could be found? Something to consider, for sure.

This is what I do. I pick things apart piece by piece in search of "reasonable possibilities" and then I present them for those who may wish to investigate these possibilities further for themselves.
WHAT IF... YOUR date "as stated" 1823 (DOB) for Thomas J. Beale was a "mistake" for 1828...? AND! he died in 1884 in California, buried in a MASONIC Cemetery...? A FREEMASON from VIRGINIA...? WOW! Find-a-Grave: Thomas J. Beale - Millville, California. TJB & Associates weren't killed by "Indians"... they continued WEST to look for "Beach Bunnies", on the WEST Coast!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Tell us what cha got!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
WHAT IF... YOUR date "as stated" 1823 (DOB) for Thomas J. Beale was a "mistake" for 1828...? AND! he died in 1884 in California, buried in a MASONIC Cemetery...? A FREEMASON from VIRGINIA...? WOW! Find-a-Grave: Thomas J. Beale - Millville, California. TJB & Associates weren't killed by "Indians"... they continued WEST to look for "Beach Bunnies", on the WEST Coast!
Well, Thomas J. Beale got HIS "Beach Bunny", Elizabeth M. Taylor Beale (1840-1892); FOUR kids. ALL of 'em with "CONNECTIONS" to BOTETOURT CO., VIRGINIA. TJB's parents: Charles William & Anna (Ann) Kyle Beale from BOTETOURT CO., VIRGINIA! LAWDY!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, still looking into several areas of interest. See where they might lead. One can never tell until they look. I just wish that I could look at all of it in 5 minutes. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was the New Orleans Thomas Beale, the Ricker family or the descendants of his other legitimate children, remember there was a probate, which brings us to Chloe Delancy, the mother of his illegitimate son, Thomas Beale Jr.
Still the connection to Robert Morriss and James Beverly Ward is conspicuous by the absence of any evidence to that effect.

Perhaps. Perhaps not?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, Thomas J. Beale got HIS "Beach Bunny", Elizabeth M. Taylor Beale (1840-1892); FOUR kids. ALL of 'em with "CONNECTIONS" to BOTETOURT CO., VIRGINIA. TJB's parents: Charles William & Anna (Ann) Kyle Beale from BOTETOURT CO., VIRGINIA! LAWDY!
Thomas J Beale (1826 - 1884) - Find A Grave Memorial
Two Thomas Beales from Botetourt county, one went to New Orleans, the other with a "J" went to sunny California.
Then we have the Alderman Thomas J Beale, sometimes spelled "Beal" who lived on 910 North Fifth Street, Richmond.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thomas J Beale (1826 - 1884) - Find A Grave Memorial
Two Thomas Beales from Botetourt county, one went to New Orleans, the other with a "J" went to sunny California.
Then we have the Alderman Thomas J Beale, sometimes spelled "Beal" who lived on 910 North Fifth Street, Richmond.

Here's one problem often encountered with this sort of thing.....if he died in 1886 at age 65 then he couldn't have been born in 1823, as other sources declare, had to have been 1821. Now suddenly 1821 as a date of birth works even better for this particular TJ Beale. But is that information reliable/accurate? This is one of the problems with a lot of gemological references, you don't know how accurate a lot of the encountered information is.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, as for this “possible” theory it's good that you guys have posted the references that have posted, and here's just one reason why, which I have yet to reference; (As already noted: the Richmond T. J. Beale born 1821/23 and died in 1886)

The narration, and according to that narration Morriss was to select someone that he had faith in to carry on the task if became unable, which he did in failing health in 1862, this being the unknown author, who happened to have important business affairs in Richmond. So let's retain all of this as it “might possibly” be relevant to the following.

So humor me and let's suppose that this unknown author, the man Morriss had selected was the Thomas J. Beale of Richmond, the “suspected” son of the original, who also in failing health, just one year prior to his death, and according to tradition, also selected someone to carry on with the task, this being Ward and the general public.

Might this not explain why the author removed his name from the publication and selected Ward to be “the representing agent?”

If this was the case then this would explain virtually every discrepancy in the narration, even the apparent rush and short comings associated with the copyright application.

This is why I have always maintained that it doesn't matter if the story is fiction or if it bears some measure of truth. “All that matters is if someone had reason to believe that the story was true,” which apparently the author did. And “if” this theory would turn out to be accurate then, in essence, the narration itself can't be declared just a simple work of fiction.

“If” this Thomas J. Beale was “the source of the narration” then this would also explain the references to the “unintelligible” and “missing piece of paper” that he thought, or was hopeful to still exist “somewhere in the Lynchburg region,” which then also explains the limited distribution of the publication.

So all I'm suggesting as a “possible” remedy is that in this proposed theory “everything” suddenly gets explained and works out.

“If” Morriss knew that the original T.J. Beale had an illegitimate son then who better to pass the secret to? So in essence the narration wasn't just about a single Thomas J. Beale, but rather it was in reference to 2 of them, and with good purpose and reason.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread