The Letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another little tid-bit from Bigscoop's old Beale vault that might be of interest to some. Over the years I have observed thousands of old correspondences in the form of letters and one thing stands out when comparing the alleged Beale letters to nearly all of these other old correspondences.

Back in the day a man's signature was his reputation and his identity, never have I seen personal letters of the distinguished concluded without a formal signature. Yet here we have the alleged Beale letters concluded with only initials, "TJB". I can't tell you just how odd this is, practically unheard of back in the day, especially at the end of important business correspondences or letters of personal sincerity. So why just initials?

You see a signature is identifiable, whereas initials are not. Had the person who wrote those letters used an identifiable signature then there would be much to risk, versus only initials, that at best, are only suggestive. If those letters had been the real deal then no doubt they would have concluded with a signature and not just initials, the signature presenting obvious issue for the hand who actually wrote them. Now you can take from this whatever you wish but I think this, along with other issues in the letters, pretty much concludes that the letters are not authentic and that they were penned at some later date and time.

PS: And this is not just my opinion, but also the opinion of many people in the field who I likewise consulted who also agree with this summation. :thumbsup:

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another little tid-bit from Bigscoop's old Beale vault that might be of interest to some. Over the years I have observed thousands of old correspondences in the form of letters and one thing stands out when comparing the alleged Beale letters to nearly all of these other old correspondences.

Back in the day a man's signature was his reputation and his identity, never have I seen personal letters of the distinguished concluded without a formal signature. Yet here we have the alleged Beale letters concluded with only initials, "TJB". I can't tell you just how odd this is, practically unheard of back in the day, especially at the end of important business correspondences or letters of personal sincerity. So why just initials?

You see a signature is identifiable, whereas initials are not. Had the person who wrote those letters used an identifiable signature then there would be much to risk, versus only initials, that at best, are only suggestive. If those letters had been the real deal then no doubt they would have concluded with a signature and not just initials, the signature presenting obvious issue for the hand who actually wrote them. Now you can take from this whatever you wish but I think this, along with other issues in the letters, pretty much concludes that the letters are not authentic and that they were penned at some later date and time.

PS: And this is not just my opinion, but also the opinion of many people in the field who I likewise consulted who also agree with this summation. :thumbsup:

I didn't know you had seen the original letters. Are you old?

The cost of printing at the time was by letter was it not?

Hasty conclusion like hind legs of mule - kick backwards.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know you had seen the original letters. Are you old?

The cost of printing at the time was by letter was it not?

Hasty conclusion like hind legs of mule - kick backwards.

As I said, you can take from it whatever you need/desire to take from it. But given the cost of printing already endured, including the multiple ads, I wouldn't think a few more letters is going to break the bank. :laughing7: Printers of the era certainly maintained the ability to print signatures.

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said, you can take from it whatever you need/desire to take from it. But given the cost of printing already endured, including the multiple ads, I wouldn't think a few more letters is going to break the bank. :laughing7: Printers of the era certainly maintained the ability to print signatures.

You thought WRONG! ! ! !

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You thought WRONG! ! ! !

I don't know, this is why I consulted with several historical authors, curators, etc., before I drew upon the conclusion regarding the signature. Are you questioning all of these professional people as well? There are many-many qualified people out there who are willing to cast opinion on such compelling subjects if only we take the time to ask. Have you made such inquiries, or are you just speaking in personal defense? A compelling question within itself. But like I said, take from it whatever you need/desire. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole point in all of this "narration investigation" is to gather a better sense of who the actual author might have been, this also including the true author of the letters. For instance, and even beyond what has already been posted in regard to these details, we have learned that the author of both the narration and the letters was a student of language, this even being further demonstrated by his timely use of the word, "punctilio". Here is a link so you can review the information yourself. :laughing7: :thumbsup:

Punctilio | Definition of Punctilio by Merriam-Webster

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The entire Beale pamphlet narration, including the letters, was written with a great deal of preparation and planning and it was crafted with specific design. Right from the very start your author tells his readers to pay attention to the details. :thumbsup:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The entire Beale pamphlet narration, including the letters, was written with a great deal of preparation and planning and it was crafted with specific design. Right from the very start your author tells his readers to pay attention to the details. :thumbsup:
The Beale "letters" are just a continuation of the story line to induce the unwary reader to believe the tale and have a go at the ciphers.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beale "letters" are just a continuation of the story line to induce the unwary reader to believe the tale and have a go at the ciphers.

When one considers the purpose of Beale's alleged visits with Morriss and the task assigned to Morriss then there was absolutely no reason to even to pen those letters other then to tell a story. Beale could have just as easily told Morriss all of the details and made all the arrangements in person while he was staying with him. So in my mind, no doubt that the letters and all of the details in them are bogus, but to what true purpose is anyone's guess.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
When one considers the purpose of Beale's alleged visits with Morriss and the task assigned to Morriss then there was absolutely no reason to even to pen those letters other then to tell a story. Beale could have just as easily told Morriss all of the details and made all the arrangements in person while he was staying with him. So in my mind, no doubt that the letters and all of the details in them are bogus, but to what true purpose is anyone's guess.

Good cover story for what was really going on out west, if one day they were told the gold came from some other place they had written proof and a way out .

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good cover story for what was really going on out west, if one day they were told the gold came from some other place they had written proof and a way out .

Maybe. Or maybe it's just a another treasure story, or, perhaps it really never happened out west at all. Once the author planted the seed with the alleged letters everyone's focus is, of course, out west, where there are thousands of other treasure tales to further fuel the thirst.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
According to the author's first person account in this story, he took possession of the "letters", and the iron box with the ciphers in the presence of the owner of the home at which whom Morriss was living- James Beverly Ward.
What became of the letters, the ciphers, the iron box?
Did these items exist outside of the Beale adventure treasure story?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The "Letters"...? Have YOU seen the "Letters" from TJB to RM in the ORIGINAL Beale PAPERS Pamphlet...? Photo-copy of the ORIGINAL provided by PV, in his book... THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW History of a MYSTERY, Chapter 3, pg. 22-44. It is what the Lynchburg, Va. general public read back in 1885 +. ORIGINAL "Letters"...? "NOT a chance"; in the PAMPHLET, the letters look like the REST of the narration... Only the "Greetings" have fancified script that only a printer could do. Such as...
"Dear Mr. Morriss" (Lynchburg, Va. - January 5th, 1822); "My Dear Friend Morriss (Lynchburg, Va. - January 4th, 1822); LAST Letter... "Robt. Morris, Esq." (St. Louis, MO. - May 9th, 1822). Read the photo-copy of the ORIGINAL! :icon_thumleft: :coffee2:

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the author's first person account in this story, he took possession of the "letters", and the iron box with the ciphers in the presence of the owner of the home at which whom Morriss was living- James Beverly Ward.
What became of the letters, the ciphers, the iron box?
Did these items exist outside of the Beale adventure treasure story?

ECS, You have made a slight error, Robert Morris died at the home of his niece, Rosalyn Saunders. The street they lived on today is called Roslin Street a slight misspelling of her given name. Sarah Mitchell Morris died at the home of her niece Mrs. James Beverly Ward. James Beverly Ward was only related through and by his wife Harriett. James Beverly Ward's father Giles Ward and his grandfather Deacon Giles Ward were from Connecticut.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The "Letters"...? Have YOU seen the "Letters" from TJB to RM in the ORIGINAL Beale PAPERS Pamphlet...? Photo-copy of the ORIGINAL provided by PV, in his book... THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW History of a MYSTERY, Chapter 3, pg. 22-44. It is what the Lynchburg, Va. general public read back in 1885 +. ORIGINAL "Letters"...? "NOT a chance"; in the PAMPHLET, the letters look like the REST of the narration... Only the "Greetings" have fancified script that only a printer could do. Such as...
"Dear Mr. Morriss" (Lynchburg, Va. - January 5th, 1822); "My Dear Friend Morriss (Lynchburg, Va. - January 4th, 1822); LAST Letter... "Robt. Morris, Esq." (St. Louis, MO. - May 9th, 1822). Read the photo-copy of the ORIGINAL! :icon_thumleft: :coffee2:
We only have the "word" of the unknown author that these letters actually existed, letters on which the entire Beale story is based.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
We only have the "word" of the unknown author that these letters actually existed, letters on which the entire Beale story is based.
DOESN'T matter... YOU will be reading what is in the ORIGINAL Beale PAPERS Pamphlet, like the folks back in 1885 +.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread