A Directly Connecting Piece Of Validation?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a residing pattern that continues to plague the Beale mystery and it revolves around “the process in reverse.” What I mean by this is that it seems everyone is generating solutions to the two remaining ciphers and then trying to piece together an assortment of unrelated details to validate their solutions, this VS discovering directly connecting details and then using these to generate a validated solution, the later being the only process that should be applied, the only one that stands any chance of generating an accurate solution.

In the Beale paper narration the author warns against accepting his cipher challenge unless one has the free time to lend to such pursuits, so given that only the wealthy and well-to-do had that free time to spend on such pursuits one can readily assume that the author was fully aware of this when he issued his warning. Why then, do you think he did this? Do you think he might have been fully aware that folks would do exactly as they have done, try to solve his little challenge in reverse with dreams of fame and fortune in their heads?

Another thing for folks to consider is the complete absence of anything in the narration that validates the tale. Odd that if the narration was true that the author failed to produce anything to validate his claim other then the ciphers themselves, and he really never produces them. In his time the letters and iron box and actual ciphers would have still existed and yet he offers nothing in the way of validating their actual existence, which he and the printer could have easily arranged. All we are offered is the typeset alleged to be letters and ciphers that he claims existed. In 1885 he could have offered a few different avenues of verification, yet he didn't. Why didn't he do this if he really wanted people to believe his story? Why, after the passing of nearly 200 years since the alleged events has nobody been able to find any means of validation with so many qualified and capable people looking? So, why do claims of solution always arrive from the same reverse process? What are the odds that any of them stand any chance at all of even being close to the truth when there is absolutely nothing that can be directly tied to the tale right from the very start?

I keep asking the same question over and over again; “How can one produce an accurate solution from an entire and complete unknown?” So far nobody has been able to answer that question, and with good reason. Yet, the claims of solution and remedy keep coming. Presents quite the conundrum, indeed. So here's my next question and everyone's big chance to validate something, anything. “Can anyone offer one directly connecting piece of evidence to either the alleged grand adventure, the alleged party, the alleged Thomas Beale, or to the unknown author?” Just one. Anybody?

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I surely have not seen that evidence. What itches my noggin is: If the theory that the cipher as published in the 1885 newspaper was but an parlor puzzle, then where is the solution ? And what purpose would its author have in creating a leisure puzzle with no clear solution ?

Edit: just remembered the cipher was published as a pamphlet FOR SALE... NOT printed in the newspaper puzzles & games section. Damn clever way to make a quick buck...

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Think of it, tho... the BC # 2 has NUMBERS, which was "translated" as the Declaration of Independence, by TJ; then, DECODED as "I have deposited...." ONE PERSON...? GET REAL!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of it, tho... the BC # 2 has NUMBERS, which was "translated" as the Declaration of Independence, by TJ; then, DECODED as "I have deposited...." ONE PERSON...? GET REAL!

Reb, you bring up one of those little details that continues to escape most, the fact that the alleged solution for C2 claims "I have deposited" instead of "we have deposited." An author blunder, no doubt, obviously forgetting that one man couldn't have done it alone and that the alleged decision to hide said "joint wealth" had been by vote of the many alleged co-owners. :laughing7: Although, I suppose Superman could have pulled it off by himself. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I surely have not seen that evidence. What itches my noggin is: If the theory that the cipher as published in the 1885 newspaper was but an parlor puzzle, then where is the solution ? And what purpose would its author have in creating a leisure puzzle with no clear solution ?

Edit: just remembered the cipher was published as a pamphlet FOR SALE... NOT printed in the newspaper puzzles & games section. Damn clever way to make a quick buck...

This is why many suspect that the author was arranged to remain unknown. Can't place liability on someone who can't be found.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Reb, you bring up one of those little details that continues to escape most, the fact that the alleged solution for C2 claims "I have deposited" instead of "we have deposited." An author blunder, no doubt, obviously forgetting that one man couldn't have done it alone and that the alleged decision to hide said "joint wealth" had been by vote of the many alleged co-owners. :laughing7: Although, I suppose Superman could have pulled it off by himself. :laughing7:
Heh... COULD be Company I, of the Campbell County Rangers... under Gen. TT Munford, CSA; he had a WONDERFUL farm on Coffee Road near TJ's Poplar Forest. Gen. Munford's Rebels banded/disbanded in TODAY'S Miller Park in Lynchburg, Va. & there is a statue marking THAT "spot"; mmm... MAYBE, I 'll just check that "spot" out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's interesting that this story still remains a popular subject of treasure hunting, with claims of solution, even though it lacks any directly connecting evidence to anything in the narration whatsoever. It's one thing to continue to look for those hopeful connections, but to claim solutions based on two pieces of paper covered with numbers that can be translated into anything one desires?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HA! THIS is BEYOND the narrative of the "Beale Story"... based on the "future events", up to 1885. POST, "2nd year of the CONFEDERATE WAR"... Gen. TT Munford was "mustered in" by Gen. Jubal A. Early, CSA/KGC. They both NEVER surrendered, and were living in Lynchburg, Va. (Early) or Bedford County, Va. (Munford)... Munford was a VMI grad (July, 1852). Wanna know more...? "google" Thomas T. Munford (wiki). HH! Good Luck!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
This is why many suspect that the author was arranged to remain unknown. Can't place liability on someone who can't be found.
One must be aware of the lawyers in James Beverly Ward's family, who would have given him advice.
Ward applied for copyright on borrowed letterhead stationary (which is curious in its own right) with only the title of the work, as AGENT for an unnamed author.
Ward alludes to the fact in the title, that THE BEALE PAPERS, are the "authentic statements" of this unnamed author.
This unnamed author based his story on what Robert Morriss told this author "during the second year of the Confederate War", including the iron box with the ciphers, and the content and directions in the letters.
This unnamed author then spent 20 years attempting to solve the ciphers, only achieving the C2 DOI solution, while having flawed numbering, producing a very straight forward literal message describing the "treasure" buried in Bedford county.
This solved C2 provides the belief that the Beale story is true, and while the unnamed author reach financial dire straights trying to solve the other two ciphers and dig up the treasure, this does not convey that the story is true, or that the ciphers are real, or that the treasure exists- it is a subtle inducement that appeals to those who play the modern states lotto games.
The Beale Papers is nothing more than a clever get rich quick dime novel with parlor entertainment ciphers that taken on a life of its own due to the Hart Papers, Pauline Innis, Peter Viemeister, various treasure mags and books, and those never ending claims of SOLVED CIPGERS which never produce the vault with all that treasure in iron pots.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
One must be aware of the lawyers in James Beverly Ward's family, who would have given him advice.
Ward applied for copyright on borrowed letterhead stationary (which is curious in its own right) with only the title of the work, as AGENT for an unnamed author.
Ward alludes to the fact in the title, that THE BEALE PAPERS, are the "authentic statements" of this unnamed author.
This unnamed author based his story on what Robert Morriss told this author "during the second year of the Confederate War", including the iron box with the ciphers, and the content and directions in the letters.
This unnamed author then spent 20 years attempting to solve the ciphers, only achieving the C2 DOI solution, while having flawed numbering, producing a very straight forward literal message describing the "treasure" buried in Bedford county.
This solved C2 provides the belief that the Beale story is true, and while the unnamed author reach financial dire straights trying to solve the other two ciphers and dig up the treasure, this does not convey that the story is true, or that the ciphers are real, or that the treasure exists- it is a subtle inducement that appeals to those who play the modern states lotto games.
The Beale Papers is nothing more than a clever get rich quick dime novel with parlor entertainment ciphers that taken on a life of its own due to the Hart Papers, Pauline Innis, Peter Viemeister, various treasure mags and books, and those never ending claims of SOLVED CIPGERS which never produce the vault with all that treasure in iron pots.
WB, ECS! Let the FUN... BEGIN! Heh...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Consider that after 20 years by many trials and errors, the only cipher that the unnamed author broke was C2- the one that describes the treasure. Yes, fabulous wealth can be yours if you buy the job pamphlet for 50cents and solve the cipher containing the location.
...and if you waste your time and money in search of Beale's vault, the unnamed author has told you not to waste your time as he did, being reduced to a state on penury. The perfect disclaimer, and an authentic statement by the unnamed author, but not signifying necessarily a true statement, only an authentic statement.
There is a difference in this that most miss in their zeal of claimed solutions- couple that with the total lack of outside collaboration of anything in the Beale Papers, and the entire story crumbles due to these undocumented authentic statements made by an author who did not want his identity known.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep asking the same question over and over again; “How can one produce an accurate solution from an entire and complete unknown?” So far nobody has been able to answer that question, and with good reason. Yet, the claims of solution and remedy keep coming. Presents quite the conundrum, indeed. So here's my next question and everyone's big chance to validate something, anything. “Can anyone offer one directly connecting piece of evidence to either the alleged grand adventure, the alleged party, the alleged Thomas Beale, or to the unknown author?” Just one. Anybody?
...and that is the rub , dear friends, who claim to have solved C1 & C3.
As Bigscoop has mentioned on other threads, the other point of contention, is that any literary source can be used as a "key" that can produce a solution that reflects one's expectations of what the cipher will reveal, which explains why all the claimed solutions are all DIFFERENT from one another.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, I reckon we should "look" at Mark Twain, then... HE had family connections in Bedford County, Va. (Huddleston), near today's Smith Mountain Lake. He DID write "adventure stories"; his father's name was JUDGE John Marshall Clemens. Twain DID take a train down to Virginia from Connecticut, to see his "kin", I think (@ 1909). Gotta find the article...

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I reckon, the truth behind the 1885 Beale Papers was known to James Beverly Ward, his wife, Harriet Emmaline Otey Buford, cousin, John William Sherman, cousin, F C Hutter, friend Max Guggenheimer, and newspaper owner, Charles W Button.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe, maybe not? Everyday people get themselves involved in things they don't understand. Just saying.....until the day comes when those required connections are validated, which it likely never will come, then the Beale paper mystery can be anything and everything, which it is.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it interesting in all of these Tnet Beale forum threads, and those like them elsewhere, there still isn't a single piece of directly connecting evidence anywhere. Man, that's a lot of research over the years without so much as a speck.

Cryptography

Banned
Jan 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I reckon, the truth behind the 1885 Beale Papers was known to James Beverly Ward, his wife, Harriet Emmaline Otey Buford, cousin, John William Sherman, cousin, F C Hutter, friend Max Guggenheimer, and newspaper owner, Charles W Button.

You guy's will be shocked one day of how much and what you all sound like. :laughing7:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
You guy's will be shocked one day of how much and what you all sound like. :laughing7:
As Bigscoop mentioned above, will all the years of research and posts on this and other similar forums, still NO corroborating evidence has been produced by anyone that proves conclusively if the Thomas J Beale of the job pamphlet is a real and not fictional character, if the "buffalo hunt" ever happened, if Beale ever met Morriss or gave him the iron box or sent him the letters that told of his adventures and the treasure vault buried in Bedford county.
The entire Beale story is based upon the "authentic statements" of an author who wanted to be unknown, and as we all know, authentic statements doesn't mean the story is true.
Those that will be shocked are those who claim to have "solved" the two ciphers only to realize that the 1885 Beale Papers was nothing more than a dime novel work of fiction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread