Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 100
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: IN SEARCH OF THE AUTHENTIC ORIGIN OF THE BEALE TREASURE STORY

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #31
    ECS
    ECS is offline
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ocala,Florida
    7,442
    7937 times
    Treasurehunting & Historical research
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel - KGC View Post
    Not in "The 'Burg; it was a SECRET among RM & "Family" that was revealed in the second year of the CONFEDERATE WAR...
    That is part of the narrative story, as with the claim that Thomas J Beale was "extremely popular with everyone" and known as a "model of manly beauty".
    According to the BEALE PAPERS, many people, especially the ladies, were aware of Thomas J Beale, and of course his stay at Pascal Buford's Inn is noted in the job pamphlet- with all these named and unnamed people listed as witnesses in the story. the total lack of even a minimal confirmation outside of the Beale Papers of any of the events in the story casts serious doubt that these events ever happened.
    Yes, one can present genealogy searches that confirm that mentioned and alluded to persons did indeed live during the time period of the pamphlet, all but the main character, Thomas J Beale.
    It is curious that the descendants of Buford and Saunders who could confirm critical sections of the Beale Papers, never have one way or the other.
    franklin and audigger53 like this.

  2. #32
    us
    Jun 2012
    Garrett ADS-7
    2,332
    3558 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I still have an appointment to talk to some of them next month. If all goes as planned.
    Rebel - KGC, Ryano and audigger53 like this.

  3. #33
    ECS
    ECS is offline
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ocala,Florida
    7,442
    7937 times
    Treasurehunting & Historical research
    If they possessed any additional information one would think it would have already been presented.
    Col William Friedman and his boots on the ground, Lt Thomas Fawcett, were very thorough in their research and personal family interviews concerning the creation of Ward's copyrighted Beale Papers, and still no great revelations.
    franklin and audigger53 like this.

  4. #34
    ECS
    ECS is offline
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ocala,Florida
    7,442
    7937 times
    Treasurehunting & Historical research
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    If it was a secret among RM' & Family someone in the family should have had the sense to write it down in a diary or journal...
    If it was a secret to Robert Morriss and family, his wife Sarah Mitchell Morriss, who died about a year before her husband in the home and care of her niece, Harriet Emmaline Ward, wife of James Beverly Ward, then it is very possible that Ward her this Beale story(if true), before the "unknown author" from Robert Morriss.
    Harriet Emmaline Otey was born and raised 4 miles from Buford's Inn.

    If Beale and his vault digging buddies stayed at Buford's, one would think that this extremely popular six foot swarthy model of manly beauty would be a part of Buford and Otey family gossip and lore long before the "unknown author" heard the tale during the 2nd year of the Confederate War from Morriss.

    It has been discussed and noted on these threads that the children of Pascal and Francis Buford had no knowledge of Beale's alleged stay, and , most important, the Beale Papers were published after both Buford's and Anzoletta Saunders had passed away.
    Ryano and audigger53 like this.

  5. #35
    us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

    Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    13,167
    7853 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    It's just more of the same old romancing of the tale, this person knew that person, etc., etc., etc. Yet here again, just as in all of the other romancing of the tale that has taken place over the years, there exist no direct connection to that tale or to the events portrayed in that tale.
    audigger53 likes this.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

  6. #36
    us
    Jun 2012
    Garrett ADS-7
    2,332
    3558 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by ECS View Post
    If it was a secret to Robert Morriss and family, his wife Sarah Mitchell Morriss, who died about a year before her husband in the home and care of her niece, Harriet Emmaline Ward, wife of James Beverly Ward, then it is very possible that Ward her this Beale story(if true), before the "unknown author" from Robert Morriss.
    Harriet Emmaline Otey was born and raised 4 miles from Buford's Inn.

    If Beale and his vault digging buddies stayed at Buford's, one would think that this extremely popular six foot swarthy model of manly beauty would be a part of Buford and Otey family gossip and lore long before the "unknown author" heard the tale during the 2nd year of the Confederate War from Morriss.

    It has been discussed and noted on these threads that the children of Pascal and Francis Buford had no knowledge of Beale's alleged stay, and , most important, the Beale Papers were published after both Buford's and Anzoletta Saunders had passed away.
    Anzoletta's sons were still living and her grandchildren. Some of the neighbors were still living especially Robert Morriss' doctors. RM had at least four doctors.
    Rebel - KGC and audigger53 like this.

  7. #37
    ECS
    ECS is offline
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ocala,Florida
    7,442
    7937 times
    Treasurehunting & Historical research
    ...and still the only person to hear this Beale treasure story was the "unknown author", and Anzoletta Saunders and the two sons who were at home during Morriss's stay did not overhear any of this?
    The question that is never addressed is this:
    Why did Robert Morriss (according to the presented story) choose only this "unknown author" the Beale treasure and not his caretakers?
    Last edited by ECS; Oct 12, 2017 at 09:11 PM.
    audigger53 likes this.

  8. #38
    ECS
    ECS is offline
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ocala,Florida
    7,442
    7937 times
    Treasurehunting & Historical research
    Quote Originally Posted by bigscoop View Post
    It's just more of the same old romancing of the tale, this person knew that person, etc., etc., etc. Yet here again, just as in all of the other romancing of the tale that has taken place over the years, there exist no direct connection to that tale or to the events portrayed in that tale.
    With all this person knew this person, etc, etc, etc, it was the "unknown author" who received this treasure tale from Morriss and kept it secret except for immediate family and one valued friend until he presented a finished manuscript to James Beverly Ward as his chosen agent for copyright and publishing, it is amazing that it remained a "secret" for 20 years.
    audigger53 likes this.

  9. #39
    us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

    Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    13,167
    7853 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Actually, according to the tale, it was the unknown author who sought out Moriss for interview, Morriss never sought out anyone. It was however, according to the tale, only after certain agreements could be arranged that Morriss allegedly agreed to tell his story to the unknown author. The real question, to me anyway, is why this unknown author had reason to seek out Morriss in the first place? This is where the story presents yet another one of its inconsistencies, the author claiming that he first learned of the mystery from Morriss and yet he never references his reasons for seeking that initial visit/interview with Morriss. I mean, are we to believe that he just happened to show up at the Morriss residence on the very day that Morriss was wanting to get something off of his chest? Hardly.
    ECS and audigger53 like this.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

  10. #40
    us
    Jun 2012
    Garrett ADS-7
    2,332
    3558 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    By Robert Morriss giving away by Deed all of his furniture and items to keep house in the 1850's to his niece and sister of Anzoletta. Also his wife, Sarah dying at the home of James Beverly Ward in 1861 makes me believe that both were convalescent and unable to care for each other especially Robert Morriss. All the years that Robert Morriss stayed at his nieces home of Anzoletta there is no one saying anything about meeting Robert Morriss or of him ever saying anything to anyone. RM could have had an early stroke before his wife's death. He may have not been able to talk, do or say anything at all. That may be the reason that James Beverly Ward had to make the arrangements for her funeral and pay for the funeral himself. Also Robert Morriss left no Will, rich as he was he had no possessions and while staying at Anzoletta's home, according to court documents she and her family were poor during the Civil War. If Robert Morriss had so much and had a story of treasure to tell surely he would have told his loving niece, Anzoletta.

    James Beverly Ward visited the area and farms near where Robert Morriss died, he even purchased a slave girl from Robert Morriss' Doctor. The slave girl was to attend and take care of his mother. The Doctor's brother did go to St. Louis in 1861 on a private business adventure for he and his brother. And then just a couple years before the Doctor died he too longed to go to St. Louis on a business adventure and he borrowed $50. dollars from his brother that had already been there in 1861. This would have been around 1874 or 1875. The Doctor's brother also had a son and it was through him that his father could have went to St. Louis. He could be the author because under testimony he would not state what the business adventure his father or his uncle went to St. Louis for?

    Also James Beverly Ward lost Hunter's Hill Plantation in 1870 over debts he owed totaling over eight thousand dollars. All of his lands, his two saw mills, slaves, furniture and farm equipment was not enough to compensate for the amount owed. He needed money as he and his family were staying with his daughter at her home in Lynchburg. JBW was a surveyor after that to make a living. He most likely felt he could write a good treasure story.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U 279.pdf 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1503952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	u279b.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	576.7 KB 
ID:	1503953
    Last edited by franklin; Oct 13, 2017 at 07:28 AM.

  11. #41

    Jun 2007
    18,218
    9582 times
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    By Robert Morriss giving away by Deed all of his furniture and items to keep house in the 1850's to his niece and sister of Anzoletta. Also his wife, Sarah dying at the home of James Beverly Ward in 1861 makes me believe that both were convalescent and unable to care for each other especially Robert Morriss. All the years that Robert Morriss stayed at his nieces home of Anzoletta there is no one saying anything about meeting Robert Morriss or of him ever saying anything to anyone. RM could have had an early stroke before his wife's death. He may have not been able to talk, do or say anything at all. That may be the reason that James Beverly Ward had to make the arrangements for her funeral and pay for the funeral himself. Also Robert Morriss left no Will, rich as he was he had no possessions and while staying at Anzoletta's home, according to court documents she and her family were poor during the Civil War. If Robert Morriss had so much and had a story of treasure to tell surely he would have told his loving niece, Anzoletta.

    James Beverly Ward visited the area and farms near where Robert Morriss died, he even purchased a slave girl from Robert Morriss' Doctor. The slave girl was to attend and take care of his mother. The Doctor's brother did go to St. Louis in 1861 on a private business adventure for he and his brother. And then just a couple years before the Doctor died he too longed to go to St. Louis on a business adventure and he borrowed $50. dollars from his brother that had already been there in 1861. This would have been around 1874 or 1875. The Doctor's brother also had a son and it was through him that his father could have went to St. Louis. He could be the author because under testimony he would not state what the business adventure his father or his uncle went to St. Louis for?

    Also James Beverly Ward lost Hunter's Hill Plantation in 1870 over debts he owed totaling over eight thousand dollars. All of his lands, his two saw mills, slaves, furniture and farm equipment was not enough to compensate for the amount owed. He needed money as he and his family were staying with his daughter at her home in Lynchburg. JBW was a surveyor after that to make a living. He most likely felt he could write a good treasure story.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U 279.pdf 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1503952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	u279b.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	576.7 KB 
ID:	1503953
    GREAT R & I, franklin!

  12. #42
    ECS
    ECS is offline
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ocala,Florida
    7,442
    7937 times
    Treasurehunting & Historical research
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    ... James Beverly Ward lost Hunter's Hill Plantation in 1870 over debts he owed totaling over eight thousand dollars. All of his lands, his two saw mills, slaves, furniture and farm equipment was not enough to compensate for the amount owed.
    He needed money as he and his family were staying with his daughter at her home in Lynchburg. JBW was a surveyor after that to make a living. He most likely felt he could write a good treasure story.
    ...and indeed he did - a story that still continues to beguile the unwary reader to this day.
    franklin likes this.

  13. #43
    ECS
    ECS is offline
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ocala,Florida
    7,442
    7937 times
    Treasurehunting & Historical research
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    ...

    James Beverly Ward visited the area and farms near where Robert Morriss died, he even purchased a slave girl from Robert Morriss' Doctor. The slave girl was to attend and take care of his mother.
    The Doctor's brother did go to St. Louis in 1861 on a private business adventure for he and his brother. And then just a couple years before the Doctor died he too longed to go to St. Louis on a business adventure and he borrowed $50. dollars from his brother that had already been there in 1861. This would have been around 1874 or 1875
    The Doctor's brother also had a son and it was through him that his father could have went to St. Louis. He could be the author because under testimony he would not state what the business adventure his father or his uncle went to St. Louis for?...
    ...and the connection to the Beale treasure story is the possibility that this doctor was the "unknown author"?
    franklin and audigger53 like this.

  14. #44
    us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

    Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    13,167
    7853 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'm sure "a lot" of people from the region had gone to St. Louis in the 1800's. I'm sure "a lot" of them had experienced money issues, etc., etc. I'm sure Ward and his family and Morriss and his family and others in the region personally knew some of those people. So what? How does any of this make any direct connection to the narration?
    audigger53 likes this.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

  15. #45
    us
    Jun 2012
    Garrett ADS-7
    2,332
    3558 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Nothing at all except Robert Morriss and the place he died is very remote. Seeing anyone at all to tell this treasure story burden to would have been very few. There were a couple of miles off the main roads and then they were over one half of mile down a farm road of which their farm was at the dead end. They were about mid-point between Lynchburg and Bedford City. Robert Morriss died in Bedford County not Lynchburg. I could see very little visitors coming here to see Robert Morriss unless he sent for them, they were distant neighbors or kin and/or his doctors or nurses. Other than these few people Robert Morriss would have to send a letter and invite them to come and see him.
    audigger53 and Rebel - KGC like this.

 

 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: Sep 27, 2017, 06:08 PM
  2. Replies: 109
    Last Post: Aug 07, 2017, 03:18 PM
  3. Replies: 71
    Last Post: Nov 16, 2014, 04:47 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: Aug 11, 2014, 05:38 PM
  5. INTERESTING Web-site... BEALE TREASURE STORY.
    By Rebel - KGC in forum Beale Codes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Aug 27, 2012, 07:54 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0