The Missing Paper

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellas, allow me to present the following to you in regards to the debate about the author's statement concerning, “the missing paper.”

According to the alleged Beale letter, the box contained, “It contains papers vitally affecting the fortunes of myself and many others engaged in business with me,.....It also contains some letters addressed to yourself, and which will be necessary to enlighten you concerning the business in which we are engaged.” From this we know that the iron box contained the letters to Morriss, the ciphers, and “other papers vital to Beale's business affairs."

Now according to Morriss when he had the lock removed he found the following inside the iron box; “and with the exception of the two letters addressed to myself, and some old receipts, found only some unintelligible papers, covered with figures, and totally incomprehensible to me.”

And now, according to your author, there is still a missing paper. So, when we compare what Beale said was in the box and what Morriss said was in the box then what, exactly, did both Morriss and Beale possess that the author doesn't have? Hence, this is your missing paper being referenced by the author. Your author has everything Beale put in the box and everything Morriss found inside the iron box with the exception of one thing, “the receipts!” Beale put them in the box, Morriss found them in the box, but your author doesn't have them. And remember, according to the alleged Beale letter that box, “contains papers vitally effecting the fortunes of myself and many others engaged in business with me.” Yes, those receipts were, just as Beale proclaimed, vital to the business affairs at hand. That's why they too were in the iron box.

You see your author needed those receipts as they served two vital purposes, first they allowed him to conclude the decoding process once, and also because, “the remainder to be held by me in trust for the benefit of such claimants as might at any time appear, and be able to authenticate their claims.”

You see not only did those missing receipts “fill in the blanks” in the ciphers but each party member also had exact copies of those receipts as a means of their being able to, “authenticate their claims.”

Remember, Beale even tells Morriss that the members of his party are men Morriss didn't know and had never even met, Beale also voiced his concerns about possible unwanted third party impostors, so without any means of validating their claims, such as verified receipts, then how else would Morriss know that any of these men were the right men?

This, my friends, if the story is accurate and true as written, is what the narration was all about. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thing I'll point out, remember how I have told you that C1 would "have to contain an explanation?" Let me now support this claim with a direct quote from the author; "As the failure to do either actually occurred, and the promised explanation has never been received...."

Notice he didn't say Letter or Key. He specifically said, "explanation." And now you decoding hopefuls know what to look for in C1. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

legrand

Jul 28, 2008
One other thing I'll point out, remember how I have told you that C1 would "have to contain an explanation?" Let me now support this claim with a direct quote from the author; "As the failure to do either actually occurred, and the promised explanation has never been received...."

Notice he didn't say Letter or Key. He specifically said, "explanation." And now you decoding hopefuls know what to look for in C1. :thumbsup:

Ah, yes, "explanation" : a statement or account that makes something clear.
[COLOR=#878787 !important]"the birth rate is central to any explanation of population trends"[/COLOR]
synonyms:clarification, simplification

"simplification": to be concise and write a short snippet; to simplify... (fair enough?):

"ERE FEN DUE RED KNEE"

Bigscoop, please tell us here how this was derived from C1? I mean, your understanding of how it was decoded? I'm not sure that you (or anyone else) understand the process. Thank you.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The missing paper was the letter that was to be sent from St. Louis and dated June, 1832. This would be the explanation of how to use the DOI to find the meaning of all three cipher codes. According to the author the letter was never sent or had never arrived. This is according to the story. But there is always the other side of the street. There never was a letter and the story was made up by the author. And that is the explanation I tend to believe until someone can find some documentation behind the story.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, yes, "explanation" : a statement or account that makes something clear.
[COLOR=#878787 !important]"the birth rate is central to any explanation of population trends"[/COLOR]
synonyms:clarification, simplification

"simplification": to be concise and write a short snippet; to simplify... (fair enough?):

"ERE FEN DUE RED KNEE"

Bigscoop, please tell us here how this was derived from C1? I mean, your understanding of how it was decoded? I'm not sure that you (or anyone else) understand the process. Thank you.

Have you ever seen a 100% grammatically correct clear text for C1? I have. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The missing paper was the letter that was to be sent from St. Louis and dated June, 1832. This would be the explanation of how to use the DOI to find the meaning of all three cipher codes. According to the author the letter was never sent or had never arrived. This is according to the story. But there is always the other side of the street. There never was a letter and the story was made up by the author. And that is the explanation I tend to believe until someone can find some documentation behind the story.

So you conclude that "a paper" is meant to be the same as "a letter"? Papers are generally what is inside of a letter. A telegram could be "a paper", I suppose. But if your author was referencing the alleged letter then why the singular word, "paper" as a letter could house several pages? Clearly your author is focused on "a missing paper" in it's singular form.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In it's simplest form the story is about deposits, make a deposit and you get a receipt, make multiple deposits and you get multiple receipts.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever seen a 100% grammatically correct clear text for C1? I have. :thumbsup:

Let's see it then. I have never seen one and I do not believe one can be produced? Even C2 was not 100% grammatically correct how could C1 be clear text.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the alleged Beale letter the iron box contained papers vital to his business, yet your author writes, "[FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]The papers given above were all that were contained in the box, except two or three of an unimportant character, and having no connection whatever with the subject in hand."

Given the circumstances, how could your author determine that the other papers in the box were of, "an [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]unimportant character, and having no connection whatever with the subject in hand?" Obviously he wasn't in a position to dispute the information in the letter and to pass that judgement. The alleged Beale letter states that all of the papers in the box were vital to the subject at hand. :icon_thumleft:[/FONT]

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see it then. I have never seen one and I do not believe one can be produced? Even C2 was not 100% grammatically correct how could C1 be clear text.

I plan to eventually do that. However, I didn't say it was accurate, only that I have see them. I was just illustrating that there are far easier and far more reasonable solutions out there.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I plan to eventually do that. However, I didn't say it was accurate, only that I have see them. I was just illustrating that there are far easier and far more reasonable solutions out there.

Back up the code truck there for a minute , I find that hard to believe .

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back up the code truck there for a minute , I find that hard to believe .

What do you find hard to believe? :laughing7:

PS: I'm laughing at the "back up the code truck there a minute"....I like it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what do you mean by, "Good?" Would you like me to show you exactly how you can produce 100% grammatically correct clear text for C1 for yourself, and on any number of topics/subjects as you desire?

Cryptography

Banned
Jan 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellas, allow me to present the following to you in regards to the debate about the author's statement concerning, “the missing paper.”

According to the alleged Beale letter, the box contained, “It contains papers vitally affecting the fortunes of myself and many others engaged in business with me,.....It also contains some letters addressed to yourself, and which will be necessary to enlighten you concerning the business in which we are engaged.” From this we know that the iron box contained the letters to Morriss, the ciphers, and “other papers vital to Beale's business affairs."

Now according to Morriss when he had the lock removed he found the following inside the iron box; “and with the exception of the two letters addressed to myself, and some old receipts, found only some unintelligible papers, covered with figures, and totally incomprehensible to me.”

And now, according to your author, there is still a missing paper. So, when we compare what Beale said was in the box and what Morriss said was in the box then what, exactly, did both Morriss and Beale possess that the author doesn't have? Hence, this is your missing paper being referenced by the author. Your author has everything Beale put in the box and everything Morriss found inside the iron box with the exception of one thing, “the receipts!” Beale put them in the box, Morriss found them in the box, but your author doesn't have them. And remember, according to the alleged Beale letter that box, “contains papers vitally effecting the fortunes of myself and many others engaged in business with me.” Yes, those receipts were, just as Beale proclaimed, vital to the business affairs at hand. That's why they too were in the iron box.

You see your author needed those receipts as they served two vital purposes, first they allowed him to conclude the decoding process once, and also because, “the remainder to be held by me in trust for the benefit of such claimants as might at any time appear, and be able to authenticate their claims.”

You see not only did those missing receipts “fill in the blanks” in the ciphers but each party member also had exact copies of those receipts as a means of their being able to, “authenticate their claims.”

Remember, Beale even tells Morriss that the members of his party are men Morriss didn't know and had never even met, Beale also voiced his concerns about possible unwanted third party impostors, so without any means of validating their claims, such as verified receipts, then how else would Morriss know that any of these men were the right men?

This, my friends, if the story is accurate and true as written, is what the narration was all about. :icon_thumleft:

Fishing Expedition :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The missing paper was the letter that was to be sent from St. Louis and dated June, 1832. This would be the explanation of how to use the DOI to find the meaning of all three cipher codes. According to the author the letter was never sent or had never arrived. This is according to the story...
...and Claudine Fulton Ellis added to this "undelivered letter" with an entire cast of new characters, locations (some "borrowed" from the HART PAPERS), and a map that furthers the Beale story legend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread