All Treasure Hunting
16 inches wide

3012642_l.jpeg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What lead you to suspect German parentage /supply , vs domestic sourced?

Iron needs tending. My era kettle does ,without putting metals in it. Even seasoned ,they attract humidity. Which insures tarnish and corrosion of dissimilar metals.

A visit to a cooper in the Beale era would be more efficient ,and cheaper.
Wood vs iron.
Casks and kegs of varied sizes for varied weights with the greatest advantage of being able to roll them. Multiple options for doing so.

Distribution/storage methods had form and function.
A wagon load of kettles to transport and store heavy weight vs. normal standards/uses at the time.....

Cast iron is brittle. Suspension was crude. Kettles and lids do not tolerate being bumped about well. Lids depend on stationary gravity to stay in place. A fractured iron container does not allow a quick patch or mending. Requiring spares , or a better container in the first place.
The there is the issue of bail handle and ear strength tolerance. Again ,we're back to design, cost , commonality , practicality and purpose of an item being used for a given purpose.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like they smoked it all....:laughing7: Oh wait, not the various types of pots you had in mind. My bad. Disregard.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
They also used the pots for #2... HENCE, the saying, "Sitting on da POT"! Heh...

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
all these years,and ive never given a thought to the
use of those iron pots,even after a yr or 2 deep in
ground, digging the treasure pots out, would prob be
messy,spilled treasure. 2 deposits same hole?
gotta be several hundred pots for roughly 8k lb of
gold & silver.
maybe they didnt care, and/or the iron pots were easy
to get and less suspicious

from the message that used the DOI to break code of paper #2

The first deposit consisted of one thousand and fourteen pounds
of gold, and three thousand eight hundred and twelve pounds of
silver, deposited November, 1819. The second was made December,
1821, and consisted of nineteen hundred and seven pounds of gold,
and twelve hundred and eighty-eight pounds of silver; also jewels,
obtained in St. Louis in exchange for silver to save transportation,
and valued at $13,000.
The above is securely packed in iron pots, with iron covers.
The vault is roughly lined with stone, and the vessels rest
on solid stone, and are covered with others.

OP
OP
Five

Five

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all these years,and ive never given a thought to the
use of those iron pots,even after a yr or 2 deep in
ground, digging the treasure pots out, would prob be
messy,spilled treasure. 2 deposits same hole?
gotta be several hundred pots for roughly 8k lb of
gold & silver.
maybe they didnt care, and/or the iron pots were easy
to get and less suspicious

from the message that used the DOI to break code of paper #2

The first deposit consisted of one thousand and fourteen pounds
of gold, and three thousand eight hundred and twelve pounds of
silver, deposited November, 1819. The second was made December,
1821, and consisted of nineteen hundred and seven pounds of gold,
and twelve hundred and eighty-eight pounds of silver; also jewels,
obtained in St. Louis in exchange for silver to save transportation,
and valued at $13,000.
The above is securely packed in iron pots, with iron covers.
The vault is roughly lined with stone, and the vessels rest
on solid stone, and are covered with others.

A round ball of solid gold 16 inches wide would weigh in at about 2,200 Pounds, but this was most likely in the form of smaller lengthy solids.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, one place in Bedford County, Va. has MANY, MANY bean pots in the area, that I know of; even "franklin" saw 'em. It was near Goose Creek, found a HUGE White Quartz/Feldspar stone in that creek; MUM da word...

OP
OP
Five

Five

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, one place in Bedford County, Va. has MANY, MANY bean pots in the area, that I know of; even "franklin" saw 'em. It was near Goose Creek, found a HUGE White Quartz/Feldspar stone in that creek; MUM da word...

That's nice, but do you really think they would have loads of quarts with 25% -40% gold and silver ore without processing it first?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
LOL! THAT quartz WAS NOT part of the treasure; Bedford County, Va. had Felspar ("Quartz") Mines; MANY in Moneta, Va. (near SML). One legend stated that a Huge Quartz rock was put in the creek to "mark the spot of interest". IF... you are NOT from this area, YOU know NOTHING!

OP
OP
Five

Five

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! THAT quartz WAS NOT part of the treasure; Bedford County, Va. had Felspar ("Quartz") Mines; MANY in Moneta, Va. (near SML). One legend stated that a Huge Quartz rock was put in the creek to "mark the spot of interest". IF... you are NOT from this area, YOU know NOTHING!

You seem to have read to much fictional Stories about the whole affair. Thought you were on the non-believer side?

I must be thinking of another!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found items buried in cast pots in Germany. Oddly enough, each time was near a defunct grave yard in the forest. I always figured that the grave yards where just used as land marks. The pots always had personal items in them like small amount of change and jewellery, and always wrapped separately.

Knew a couple German MDers that actually spent more time in the bush than the net. Both told me that they too have run into the same thing and always near grave yards.

Anyway, point is the only reason we could figure that they used pots was because they did not rot away as fast as wood.

OP
OP
Five

Five

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found items buried in cast pots in Germany. Oddly enough, each time was near a defunct grave yard in the forest. I always figured that the grave yards where just used as land marks. The pots always had personal items in them like small amount of change and jewellery, and always wrapped separately.

Knew a couple German MDers that actually spent more time in the bush than the net. Both told me that they too have run into the same thing and always near grave yards.

Anyway, point is the only reason we could figure that they used pots was because they did not rot away as fast as wood.

Yes that would be defiling a grave site, but a lot of people robbed grave sites in the 1930 too!

They would separate the belongings from the grave to keep grave robber's from digging up the grave and stealing there loved one personal effects!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason items are buried near a grave yard or cemetery because most people are scared to go there at night. It is also a good marker to return to as most cemeteries are taken care of and it remains for hundreds of years. Better than just going out into the woods to find a tree that may burn down or blow away the next summer. I would not metal detect in or very near cemeteries as it could upset people that have a loved one buried in that cemetery.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes that would be defiling a grave site, but a lot of people robbed grave sites in the 1930 too!

They would separate the belongings from the grave to keep grave robber's from digging up the grave and stealing there loved one personal effects!

No kidding, so if I find gold near California, does that mean I found it in California?

So at what distance outside of a grave yard is still considered a grave yard; just a rough guess, like 200 meters, 2,000. Is it like a DMZ for MDs or something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread