Finding 2 Old Cellar holes ,While searching for something else (new site Pics)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was browsing back over this post because I find it so excellent. I noticed the big token with the hole in it on the top right of the first picture. That is a Temperance Token, denoting the evils of alcohol. Another member on the forum found one some time back and it was identified. Just FYI . Monty

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: Finding 2 Old Cellar holes ,While searching for something else (new site Pic

I can't breathe!! :o

Awesome finds and great research on your part!!

Keep us updated!

Happy Hunting!!

Moon

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
You really need to consider starting a summer camp with classes on detecting...people would pay lots of money to have access to your secrets.....Like Cellar Holes 101, Slow Slow SLower For the Silver...etc ..... :)

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is nice...What a nice area ! That is some old coins!

J

jgpreston

Am just dumbfounded at your finds!! Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us. Nice presentation and what a motivator you are for the rest of us. Truly the best find.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey John,

How do you keep all your coins and stuff? do you catalogue them all? You must be able to start your own museum by now..

God bless
Peter

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Since this post was already back in the archives after I joined, I didn't see it until now.
Simply amazing!! There are just not enough adjectives and superlatives in the dictionary!!
That's a once in a lifetime location to hunt for most people!!
Outstanding!!
Congrats, and hoping that you find more!
HH
Bob

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I had post this site some time ago but for as long as I have been detecting have never seen so many great find come out of one area , and as the story explained we assumed it was one of the early Tavern sites or trading post, but with further research have found out that one of the earliest local political figures of that time period may have lived in one of the two old homesteads. That would explain all of the political items found there, including a ( wigs of 76&34 button ) that was also found at this site....The Temperance medals might have been given away by the man of some importance to his fellow Pioneer friends but were then thrown away buy some old timer that believed his moon shine or whiskey was more important than sobrity....The events that happened at this site are still being researched so , i thought i would share what is going on with this site!!!! The Seeker

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Seeker you got me sold on starting to look for old cellars.

Congratulations on that find, that is certainly a once in a lifetime type of find for a rare few peps.

Postalrevnant

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Its been almost a year since you and I joined Treasurenet and I just wanted to tell you that your cellar hole stories have always been inspiring. The history and finds that you have pulled out of these places has been unbelievable. I look forward to the magazine article on them.
Also.... since we have been here a year....why do I have 5000 posts and you have less than half of that? Slacking? Hmmmm? Hahaha

Keep up the great job John and we all look forward to many more great sites and finds from you. :)

large cent hunter

Feb 28, 2007
It's so nice when it all comes together; you do the research, get the permission needed, and find some nice things.

Great job all of you!

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
oh man, i love this one, makes u wonder how many times u passed up those other depressions

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Now this is strange, I buy W & E magazine but usually it takes me awhile to read them because I send them for my dad to read first. I finally get May '07 and June "07 back. Just fifteen minutes ago I read this story, and since I'm not detecting today get on TNet and lo and behold what I just finished reading in the magazine I'm reading here...great story!!

tdec1000

Jul 1, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 550 w/ 4" coil and Garrett Ace 250
The bottom photo really got my blood pumping!! What you have there on the top with the eagle is a Feutchwanger Copper Token. It is really quite rare. I would look at getting it slabbed by a TPG. (Third Party Grader) PCGS, ANACS, NGC. This is one rare piece of americana. James Feutchwanger minted his own tokens and the silver ones are even rarer. Look it up! You will be surprised at what you find about it.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
tdec1000 said:
The bottom photo really got my blood pumping!! What you have there on the top with the eagle is a Feutchwanger Copper Token. It is really quite rare. I would look at getting it slabbed by a TPG. (Third Party Grader) PCGS, ANACS, NGC. This is one rare piece of americana. James Feutchwanger minted his own tokens and the silver ones are even rarer. Look it up! You will be surprised at what you find about it.
A very popular token struck in German Silver by Dr. Lewis Feutchwanger during the period in the late 1830's known as the "Hard Times". The attractive design with a defiant eagle clutching a snake is growing in popularity with its analogy to the current U.S. war on terrorism. This token exhibits a better than average strike for this issue. The color is a steel gray with considerable luster evident under the tone.

Feutchwanger initially struck these as a pattern to solicit a contract from the government. His attempt failed when Mint Director Patterson argued that the material would cause confusion with the public. Advised by Professor James Booth of the Franklin Institute, Patterson also stated that the material would be hard to acquire in uniform quantities. However years later in 1853, Booth, now the Mint's Melter and Refiner, approached the idea of using German Silver in coinage. He had Cent trial strikes made utilizing a obverse die of the Quarter eagle.
Estimated Value $400-600.
His goal was to become the sole supplier of the metal to the U.S. Mint, but the plan was never adopted. Feuchtwanger was a little ahead of his time -- just under twenty years later, the Mint went with a Copper-Nickel mixture for the new Flying Eagle Small Cents, in diameter and color very similar to the good Doctor's mixture.
http://www.goldbergcoins.net/catalogarchive/20030526/chap070.shtml#058603

Attachments

• LF.jpg
    LF.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 9,829

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread