1st GW Inagural Button!!!! (1789) - video included!

DFX300

Nov 14, 2009
metaldetector101 said:
Today I was metal detecting an old wooded section in a undisclosed location, but it was near a house that george washington stayed at during the American Revolution!! How wierd. I am so exicted becuase this is my first GW Inagural Button. I am 15 years old and I hope you vote banner for me!! How much is this worth? I have a Large Eagle. Also what sub variety is this? This is the website for the varieties I cant figure it out may you can, thank you http://kirkmitchell.tripod.com/CobbGW/index.html :help: GOT BANNNER YES!!!!!!!!!!!! SUBSCRIBE TO ME ON YOUTUBE PLEASE http://www.youtube.com/user/metaldetector101[youtube=425,350]rpEeg9evtnk[/youtube] ;D :hello2:
.................this is WI12c in Albert's (63 border marks) with an RV2 in rarity (51-75 known to exist)....great find ! Eric

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Patch said:
N.J.THer said:
Congrats on a great button.

My wife wants me to find one so we can get the basement finished...lol. What she does not know is if I find one I would never sell it...mine, mine, mine.

NJ

So what you mean is what she doesn't know, is that she wouldn't know. :D

Correct...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1st GW Inagural Button!!!! (1789)

metaldetector101 said:
should i get this professionally graded?

The button? Not really such a thing. I know how you feel, that you want solid answers to exactly what the condition is and what it's worth, but this is your first lesson that it's just not the way it works. Buttons are even more a matter of opinion than coins because there is no book as a guideline, and just knowing approx. the number of examples known you're doing well. The most you can do is try to find old sales, pay attention to future ones, but even then it can come down to two bidders on the right day, or no one on the wrong day. (you just got to cover yourself so the wrong day can't happen)

PS... Your work is done so enjoy! :thumbsup:

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey man awesome button! Im just thrilled I got to hold it in person. Its killer. Keep it for your kids and youll be suprised in that investment. -Jim

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil
J D Wow u did it man. Sure is better than a half cent right. Lol sure wish i could have seen it in person. I told u u were going to get something like that soon. Hope to c u at next meeting. Congrats again 1 in a lifetime find well maybe not for u. Banner for sure . HH Mark. I will say good luck but J dont think you need any from me.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
comfortablynumb said:
Please take IP's wisdom to heart. You sell the button (which is on most serious detectors' wish lists), and you no longer have it. In a few years, this button will still be on everyone's wish list, and all you will be able to say is you had one, but sold it... Wouldn't it be so much better to be able to share a pic with all those envious detectors?
I sold 1, and kept 1, of the 2 I found. They were both the same variety, but not the same as regards to condition. Funny how just a few yards of different soil can make a difference in the condition of these buttons....or anything buried for that matter.

OP
OP
metaldetector101

metaldetector101

May 17, 2009
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
hogge said:
comfortablynumb said:
Please take IP's wisdom to heart. You sell the button (which is on most serious detectors' wish lists), and you no longer have it. In a few years, this button will still be on everyone's wish list, and all you will be able to say is you had one, but sold it... Wouldn't it be so much better to be able to share a pic with all those envious detectors?
I sold 1, and kept 1, of the 2 I found. They were both the same variety, but not the same as regards to condition. Funny how just a few yards of different soil can make a difference in the condition of these buttons....or anything buried for that matter.
were they the same varirty as mine and how much did you get?

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metaldetector101 said:
hogge said:
comfortablynumb said:
$405.00 For the 1. Mine are both Cobb 17-J. If your Eagles' talon is holding the arrows "Palm Up", yours is Cobb 17-J also. I could see your button selling on EBAY, for EASILY over $1,000. It is in excellent condition for a ground piece.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
metaldetector101 said:
hogge said:
comfortablynumb said:
$405.00 For the 1. Mine are both Cobb 17-J. If your Eagles' talon is holding the arrows "Palm Up", yours is Cobb 17-J also. I could see your button selling on EBAY, for EASILY over $1,000. It is in excellent condition for a ground piece.

If yours was the same that is definitely a plus because there's a pretty big difference in condition. That being said, there's many more people that will spend $400 on a button than a grand, so it's hard to say exactly how it would go.

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
XSII,Excalibur,Ace 250,Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well a big congrats :headbang: :headbang:
Now one thing for sure,since the internet has become a way of life there are more of these buttons that have been posted then one would think ;D,more and more dug and posted every year now but a fantastic find :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian(upstateNY-Central Fla.) said:
Now one thing for sure,since the internet has become a way of life there are more of these buttons that have been posted then one would think ;D,more and more dug and posted every year now but a fantastic find :thumbsup:

That's exactly why they reach a certain price point then stall.... because collectors know there will always be another.

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

That's exactly why they reach a certain price point then stall.... because collectors know there will always be another.

Well after 14 yrs on the internet :-\ I have seen hundreds of types of GW and true GW President buttons posted so we know the numbers are going way up because think of the folks who will not post finds or dont use the net.
Cobb had the collection for sure :headbang:
But there is a buyer for everything as we know and your right IP on the price freeze,there will always be another up for sale and another found someplace ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

Well after 14 yrs on the internet :-\ I have seen hundreds of types of GW and true GW President buttons posted so we know the numbers are going way up because think of the folks who will not post finds or dont use the net.
But there is a buyer for everything as we know and your right IP on the price freeze,there will always be another up for sale and another found someplace ;D

One of these days we're going to see one of the super rare types posted.... and that will be something! It is definitely going to happen.

OP
OP
metaldetector101

metaldetector101

May 17, 2009
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Iron Patch said:
Iron Patch said:

One of these days we're going to see one of the super rare types posted.... and that will be something! It is definitely going to happen.
My friend Henery found one that was silver and only 8 known to exist worth over5 g!!, the silver was part of martha washingtons silver colection

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metaldetector101 said:
Iron Patch said:
Iron Patch said:

My friend Henery found one that was silver and only 8 known to exist worth over5 g!!, the silver was part of martha washingtons silver colection

They were made in 4 types of metal I think and yup silver would be way more rare then others...

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Iron Patch said:

Thats for sure :icon_thumright:

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Woo hoo hoo ! Congrats there buddy ! Loved the video, great taste in music ;)

Congrats on the banner !~!

OP
OP
metaldetector101

metaldetector101

May 17, 2009
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
chark21798 said:
J D Wow u did it man. Sure is better than a half cent right. Lol sure wish i could have seen it in person. I told u u were going to get something like that soon. Hope to c u at next meeting. Congrats again 1 in a lifetime find well maybe not for u. Banner for sure . HH Mark. I will say good luck but J dont think you need any from me.
thanks bud, i found a 1797 liberty half cent 2 weeks ago also!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread